• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BOTB: Hitchhikers Guide 2TG (Drastic) v Barrytown Trilogy (Dlolman)

Versus

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not a big fan of either of these, Roddy Doyle not my cup of tea. HGTTG is ok but not great, gets my vote for this round though

I love Roddy Doyle, read the majority of his stuff but Hitchhikers was absolutely seminal to my teenage years, and again, one of the few books I've re-read. I loved the TV show, played the computer game and watched it many times - the film is not too bad either.

I've never laughed so hard at a book. Sorry Roddy, but HHG2TG is just.....amazing.

I wanted to begin by quoting a particularly funny line from Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Problem is pretty much every line is hilarious. Surely one of, if not THE funniest book ever written, how can you not like it?

Best i put something up to try and sway the voters here.

The trilogy contains some of Roddy Doyle’s most loved novels about the Rabbittes, a family in working class Dublin.

Mr Doyle said in a statement: “When I wrote the books that make up The Barrytown Trilogy, I hoped that the city would come off the page, like a character. When the characters spoke, Dublin spoke".

"The Commitments" , the first part of the trilogy, charts the meteoric rise and fall of Jimmy Rabbitte’s soul band and their bid for stardom in 1980s Dublin. "The Snapper" is about Sharon Rabbitte’s unexpected pregnancy, while the third instalment, "The Van ", features the family’s patriarch, Jimmy snr, and his friend Bimbo entering the chipper van business. The book was shortlisted for the Booker Prize in 1991.

Whilst the raw humour shines through on every page it is coupled with a deeper note of relationships within the family and none more so than Jimmy Rabbitte Snr and his offspring. In my opinion the strongest of the three is "The Van". Set against the backdrop of Dublin during the 1990 World Cup displays Jimmy's pain of dealing with his family, redundancy and a wilting relationship with his best friend. In this book Doyle is at his very best with words that come alive off the page that are not only funny but also poignant and at times moving.

Read them both, but I'm with MK, I grew up with Hitchhiker, so as it must be 42 and it gets my vote.

never heard of Barrytown trilogy (although have watched the film "The Commitments").
sorry dloman you didnt really sell it to me. Have to vote HHGTTG.

Back