• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BOTB: Hitchikers G2TG (Drastic) v Roots (OBL)

Versus

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”

It's Hitch Hikers, what more do you need? (not much I hope as I'm out most of today!)

Loved HHG2TG because it was so different. How many people had seen the TV programme before they read the book though? I think that may well have been the case for several of the books in this competition...that the film or the TV version pushed you into reading the book.

Even for "Roots", it was hearing about the TV programme that prompted me to read the book...I generally prefer to have read the book, where possible, before seeing it on the screen. In fact, the only book that I can think of that definitely worked the other way, was "The Mousetrap" purely because the book (Three Blind Mice) wasn't available in the UK!

Roots is a graphic recount of the life of K u n t a Kinte, a 14 year old boy from a village called Juffure in The Gambia, how he is captured by "toubob" and sold into slavery in America. The description of life on the ship is a grim reminder of how so many people were transported in terrible conditions and treated inhumanely by the "toubob". On arrival in America, K u n t a is sold to a rich cotton farm owner for $850, however, when he continues to try and escape, the men sent to track him and on finding him "...picked up the axe. K u n t a was screaming and thrashing as the axe flashed up, and then down so fast - severing skin, tendons, muscles and bone - that K u n t a heard the axe thud into the trunk as the shock of it sent the agony deep into his brain. As the explosion of pain bolted through him, K u n t a's upper body spasmed forward and his hands went flailing downwards as if to save the front half of his foot, which was falling forwards, as bright red blood jetted from the stump as he plunged into blackness."

Following on from this, K u n t a is sold on to a new owner, Massa Waller, with whom he remains for the rest of his life. This owner is benevolent and kindly and acts responsibly to his slaves. K u n t a's injury is treated, not only by the fellow slaves but also by a doctor, and eventually he recovers. K u n t a forms an attachment to the female slave, Bell, who treats his injury and cooks and brings him food, and they later marry and have a daughter, Kizzy. "K u n t a raised the baby upwards, turning the blanketed bundle in his hands so that the baby's right ear touched his lips. And then slowly and distinctly in Mandinka, he whispered three times into the tiny ear, "Your name is Kizzy." It was done, as it had been done with all of the Kinte ancestors, she had become the first person to know who she was."

It is this tradition along with the passing along of certain Mandinka words, that later helped his descendant, Alex Haley, locate the birthplace of his ancestor, K u n t a.

It's a book to empathise with and to horror at, and if you haven't already read it, then I recommend you to do so. The TV series, while worthy, is incredibly dated now, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it re-made at some point in the future.

Thanks to those who vote for Roots, and thankfully not so many **** this time!

Last edited:
Back