• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BOTB: QF1 - To Kill A Mockingbird (DannyPav) v HIs Dark Materials (MK)

Versus

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
His Dark Materials - 3 books, entailing the battles of a 12yr old Lyra Belacqua and a host of fantastic characters take on the The Authority in a story that takes place across a multiverse (including our own).

Turned into an amazing 6 hour play, HDM is now the highest placed book(s) in the BBC's Big Read in 2003 (No,3)...I encourage anyone over the age of 13 to read them...outstanding pieces of fiction.

Vote HDM!

I can't disagree on how great TKAMB is - it was my original choice to be fair.

But HDM deals with some astonishingly adult themes for a "young adults" book - theology, sexuality, science - all wrapped up in an absolutely rollocking tale of Lyra & Will on the cusp of adulthood with sterling support cast of gay angels, armoured polar bears, witches and many many more.

They truly are amazing, and nothing I type here could possibly do them justice.

Win or lose, I just hope I've brought these three wonderful books to your attention - put them on your Christmas list!

A few quotes....

“This is what’ll happen,” she said, “and it’s true, perfectly true. When you go out of here, all the particles that make you up will loosen and float apart, just like your daemons did. If you’ve seen people dying, you know what that looks like. But your daemons en’t just nothing now; they’re part of everything. All the atoms that were them, they’ve gone into the air and the wind and the trees and the earth and all the living things. They’ll never vanish. They’re just part of everything. And that’s exactly what’ll happen to you, I swear to you, I promise on my honor. You’ll drift apart, it’s true, but you’ll be out in the open, part of everything alive again.”

“I'll be looking for you, Will, every moment, every single moment. And when we do find each other again, we'll cling together so tight that nothing and no one'll ever tear us apart. Every atom of me and every atom of you... We'll live in birds and flowers and dragonflies and pine trees and in clouds and in those little specks of light you see floating in sunbeams... And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they wont' just be able to take one, they'll have to take two, one of you and one of me, we'll be joined so tight...”

“Without stories, we wouldn't be human beings at all”

I remember previous battles where those who don't post evidence face disqualification......:whistling:

To Kill a Mockingbird into the next round...well done (non posting) DannyPav and thanks to those cool enough to vote for HDM :winking:

Back