• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BOTB: QF2 - The Hobbit (RootsHallBloke) v 1984 (Tangled UIB)

Versus

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OK, for all those that still haven’t read it, here's the plot again: Bilbo Baggins is a respectable hobbit - think a half-sized human with a liking for pipes and colourful waistcoats - who joins up with 13 dwarves and a wizard named Gandalf. The goal: retrieving treasure stolen by Smaug the dragon and just maybe, getting the Blues out of Divsion 2 (who knows, it is fiction after all). Bilbo encounters goblins, Wargs and a host of other creatures, including Gollum and his ring and, possibly, Burton Albion again!!! The Hobbit sets up the subsequent story line for Lord of the Rings, in which Bilbo's nephew, Frodo, comes to the fore. But it’s not just a precursor to LOTR, it’s a masterpiece in its’ own right.

The Hobbit has sold 100 million copies worldwide and consistently ranks highly as one of the world’s most cherished books.

Getting close mate.....:whistling:

Too close for comfort.

Don't take just my word for it but 1984 has been voted "the definitive book of the 20th century."

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2007/jun/02/uk.hay2007authors

On a personal note it ,(and everything else that Orwell wrote),was what turned me on to reading again-as a teenager- after three and a half years of Dennis Wheatley and World War 2 pap, at boarding school.

It's a book that can be enjoyed equally by those on the left or right of the political spectrum.

It's contributed more shorthand expressions, like room 101,Newspeak,thought crime,doubleplusgood, etc,etc than any other novel in the English language.

Here's what WIKi has to say:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four

Last edited:
Two extremely well written books. At the end of the day I guess it is down to which one you personally enjoyed the most, not what others thought. 'Enjoyed' is a very broad word in this context.

I loved The Hobbit, I really did but 1984 is a terrific book though, a real masterpiece. Vote with the heart or vote with the head? Really tough one.

Well done 1984 and TUIB. It was close for a long time though until the final knockings:thumbsup:

Back