• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BOTL Pot 4

BOTL Pot 4

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Greg Graffin.
I can't say I love the music of Bad Religion from what I know of it but I love a lot of bands they inspired and I'm keen on their name. If a couple of their recommended tracks are posted up I'm definitely convertable.

Gotta be Graffin, but that said Rice is a lyrical genius, although his music doesn't really move me as much.

Sir Timothy Miles Bindon Rice (born 10 November 1944)

440px-Tim_Rice_-_1981.jpg

Sir Tim Rise is an English author and lyricist. He is best known for his collaborations with Andrew Lloyd Webber, with whom he wrote Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Jesus Christ Superstar, and Evita; with Björn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson of ABBA, with whom he wrote Chess; for additional songs for the 2011 West End revival of The Wizard of Oz; and for his work with Alan Menken on Disney's Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and the musical King David. He also worked with Elton John on Disney's The Lion King, the musical Aida, and DreamWorks Animation's The Road to El Dorado and Ennio Morricone.

Rice was knighted by Elizabeth II for services to music in 1994. He has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, is an inductee into the Songwriter's Hall of Fame, is a Disney Legend recipient, and is a fellow of the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers, and Authors. In addition to his awards in the UK, he is one of fifteen artists to have won an Emmy, Oscar, Grammy and Tony in the US.

Musical Theatre
  • 1968 – Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber
  • 1970 – Jesus Christ Superstar with music by Lloyd Webber
  • 1976 – Evita with music by Lloyd Webber
  • 1983 – Blondel with music by Stephen Oliver
  • 1984 – Chess with music by Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus
  • 1986 – Cricket with music by Lloyd Webber
  • 1992 – Tycoon with music by Michel Berger
  • 1994 – Beauty and the Beast with music by Alan Menken for 9 new songs; remaining songs feature the lyrics of Howard Ashman, as written for the 1991 film.
  • 1996 – Heathcliff with music by John Farrar
  • 1997 – The Lion King with music by Elton John
  • 1997 – King David with music by Menken
  • 2000 – Aida with music by Elton John and Tim Rice
  • 2005 – The Likes of Us with music by Lloyd Webber (written in 1965, but first staged at the Sydmonton Festival on 9 July 2005[36])
  • 2011 – The Wizard of Oz with music by Lloyd Webber for 6 new songs; also additional lyrics for 4 songs with music by Harold Arlen and lyrics by E.Y. Harburg. The remaining 13 songs are solely by Arlen and Harburg.
  • 2011 – Aladdin with music by Menken and additional lyrics by Ashman and Chad Beguelin. Based on the film.
  • 2013 – From Here to Eternity with music by Stuart Brayson, based on the James Jones novel of the same name.
Film
  • 1983 – Octopussy; theme song "All Time High" with music by John Barry and sung by Rita Coolidge
  • 1992 – Aladdin with music and score by Alan Menken; completed work begun by Howard Ashman
  • 1994 – The Lion King with music by Elton John, score by Hans Zimmer
  • 2000 – The Road to El Dorado with music by Elton John, score by Hans Zimmer and John Powell
  • 2009 – The Nutcracker in 3D with music by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky and score by Eduard Artemyev
  • 2017 – Beauty and the Beast with music and score by Alan Menken; additional three songs
  • 2019 – Aladdin with music and score by Alan Menken; new compositions with Pasek and Paul
  • 2019 – The Lion King with music by Elton John and score by Hans Zimmer
Lyricist
  • ”Christmas Dream”, written by Andrew Lloyd Webber and sung by Perry Como for The Odessa File (1974).
  • "It's Easy for You", recorded by Elvis Presley on his album Moody Blue.
  • "Legal Boys", recorded by Elton John on his album Jump Up!
  • 1981 concept album 1984 composed by Rick Wakeman and inspired by the George Orwell novel of the same name.
  • "The Second Time", "The Last One to Leave", "Hot As Sun" and "Falling Down to Earth" on Elaine Paige's 1981 self-titled album
  • "All Time High", the theme tune to the James Bond film, Octopussy, written with John Barry and sung by Rita Coolidge (1983).
  • "A Winter's Tale", written with Mike Batt and recorded by David Essex (1982).
  • "The Fallen Priest" and "The Golden Boy" for Freddie Mercury's 1988 album Barcelona.
  • "Warthog Rhapsody" and a reworking of "Hakuna Matata" (both written with Elton John) for Rhythm of the Pride Lands (1995).
  • "That's All I Need", written with Elton John, for The Lion King (2004). Snippets of songs originally written by the pair for The Lion King also feature in the film.
  • "Peterloo", was requested by Sir Malcolm Arnold's estate to write lyrics to the Peterloo Overture [commemorating the horrific St Peter's Fields Massacre and maiming of men, women and children at a meeting in Manchester in Aug 1819]. There was in mind to use it in 2012 for the Olympics or for the Queen's Jubilee celebrations [60 years on throne] but instead it had its premiere at the Royal Albert Hall in London at 'The Last Night of the Proms' on Saturday 13 September 2014 which was broadcast on BBC television.
I think this is an impressive volume of work by one of our great British Lyricists.

Fair play to John Lennon (and RHB), I would "Imagine" a beautiful song like this won it for you.

Back