• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BOTL Pot 5

Pot 5

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
th

Wins it every time for me, wonderful!

Oh! England, my Lionheart
I'm in your garden, fading fast in your arms
The soldiers soften, the war is over
The air raid shelters are blooming clover
Flapping umbrellas fill the lanes
My London Bridge in rain again
Oh! England, my Lionheart!
Peter Pan steals the kids in Kensington Park
You read me Shakespeare on the rolling Thames
That old river poet that never, ever ends
Our thumping hearts hold the ravens in
And keep the tower from tumbling
I don't want to go
Oh! England, my Lionheart!
Dropped from my black Spitfire to my funeral barge
Give me one kiss in apple-blossom
Give me one wish, and I'd be wassailing
In the orchard, my English rose
Or with my shepherd, who'll bring me home
I don't want to go
I don't want to go

A great British songwriter.

Lol, there has been no "rustling!"

BTW, West Side Story is my fave musical of all time - SS is excellent, but in my eyes, Kate Bush is on another level.
Blimey @MK Shrimper , I virtually was about to post the same thing.

Yep, WSS is the greatest musical ever made, but in this group of death there is only ever going to be one winner!
You're both just a couple of old Kate Bush groupies. (posted without any bitterness.........much)

You're both just a couple of old Kate Bush groupies. (posted without any bitterness.........much)
Not just West Side Story but Sweeney Todd, Follies, A Little Night Music,etc etc so many brilliant tour de forces. The greatest composer/lyricist of the second half of the 20th century by a country mile

Not just West Side Story but Sweeney Todd, Follies, A Little Night Music,etc etc so many brilliant tour de forces. The greatest composer/lyricist of the second half of the 20th century by a country mile

I was taken to see a production of West Side Story (along with some other boarders) by the caretaker at Highfield College at the Palace theatre back in the 60's.Remember we sat up in the Gods.That started a love of the theatre in me (though I regret to say not musicals).

I was taken to see a production of West Side Story (along with some other boarders) by the caretaker at Highfield College at the Palace theatre back in the 60's.Remember we sat up in the Gods.That started a love of the theatre in me (though I regret to say not musicals).
I'm probably going to regret asking this, but was that an amateur or professional production of WSS?

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but was that an amateur or professional production of WSS?

TBH. I really can't remember but FWIW I'd guess it was a professional production,though it could well have been an amateur one for all I knew at the time (I'd 've been about 14 IIRC). Wasn't long after that before I started going by myself to a lot of Alexander Bridge productions though.

It would have been November 1968 produced by the Haymarket Musical Comedy Workshop. They did three or four productions with Alexander Bridge directing. The Workshop was a mixture of professionals and young amateurs with 'theatrical' talent. I was part of the second category and was part of the West Side Story cast. Hence my question. God, that stirred memories of times past.

It would have been November 1968 produced by the Haymarket Musical Comedy Workshop. They did three or four productions with Alexander Bridge directing. The Workshop was a mixture of professionals and young amateurs with 'theatrical' talent. I was part of the second category and was part of the West Side Story cast. Hence my question. God, that stirred memories of times past.

Ha! And although I did see this production it's not the musical I was thinking of .That would have been a few years earlier -maybe Seven Brides for Seven brothers? (As I said musicals have never really been my thing,sorry).P:S Were you one of the Jets?

Last edited:
Ha! And although I did see this production it's not the musical I was thinking of .That would have been a few years earlier -maybe Seven Brides for Seven brothers? (As I said musicals have never really been my thing,sorry).P:S Were you one of the Jets?
Yep

Back