• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Bournemouth defender Simon Francis: Mark Molesley deserves his shot with Southend United

Simon Francis was a very talented young player for Southend who seemed to lack the concentration and mentality to play above L1. He went on to be a premier league player of average skill reputed for his fantastic mentality. Strange huh?

On the contrary I won a tenner against a fellow Shrimper that he'd play higher and also won a tenner (as yet unpaid) that Coker wouldn't.

Clifford showed some excellent promise in the few games he had last year, but Ralph is currently the better player IMO

The LB position is probably the only position in the squad that we have strength in depth.

Indeed. Harry Kyp, White and Lennon can all play LB...... Harry is another one who's injury came at the worst time for him..... I had watched him improve nicely as a CB and was having his best game so far on the day he got injured up at Doncaster.......Way back in the days of PB,

Even if we lose Elvis, MM has plenty to work with across the back 4. If Oxley has one of his better seasons and Dieng takes some responsibility we certainly wont be conceding more than 2 a game over a whole season.

It never usually ends well. The South Lower is particularly bad for it. I’ve never understood it. Opposition players get more determined to beat us and the shouts at our own players are even more cringeworthy.
The look on Lennon’s face when someone yelled “get the **** out of our club Lennon you ****” during the warm up ... that was the game he played LB and was decent, can’t remember who we were playing. On that occasion he was clearly trying to prove people wrong but it could easily have gone the other way. The Burton keeper (O’Hara?) got an offer to fight one of our fans, he declined and stayed quite far off his line after that ..
Wondering how brave those fellas will be if we play Grimsby and Bilel goes up for a corner ...

It obviously worked then; maybe they should have done it before every game Lennon played ?

He saw very young when he was with us, and despite the lapses in concentration it was clear he was a talented footballer. When you think back to that squad in the championship year, a lot of them went on to have very good careers.

Yes, I remember reading an article a couple of years back (I think in the Echo) where Simon Francis said that when he was with us he was young and had spent too much time in local nightclubs which affected his performances but he realised after he left that he hadn't been the best he could be whilst with us - went on to have a good career at the top level. Good on him for being so honest about his time with us as a younger player.

Just a heads up that Simon Francis won't be staying with us next season. He was apparently offered a backroom job only but wants to carry on playing.

I'm guessing the wages would rule him out but who knows, maybe a player/coach role could be on the cards at a club he knows well and that has a new manager who he would also know.

Just a heads up that Simon Francis won't be staying with us next season. He was apparently offered a backroom job only but wants to carry on playing.

I'm guessing the wages would rule him out but who knows, maybe a player/coach role could be on the cards at a club he knows well and that has a new manager who he would also know.

Wages would be way too high and we have two capable right backs. 3 if you include JW.

It would be money we haven't got.

Booing individuals rarely works for any player - how often did we boo Lee Hughes and he'd usually score? I've never agreed with booing any former player that returns, it always seems to backfire.

I always liked Simon Francis, and was delighted to see him playing in the premiership, and as captain, for Bournemouth.

Booing individuals rarely works for any player - how often did we boo Lee Hughes and he'd usually score? I've never agreed with booing any former player that returns, it always seems to backfire.

I always liked Simon Francis, and was delighted to see him playing in the premiership, and as captain, for Bournemouth.

I can understand people booing him!

Wages would be way too high and we have two capable right backs. 3 if you include JW.

It would be money we haven't got.

I agree wages are likely to be an issue but positionally
a) I think Francis is a centre-half these days; and
b) if rumours of interest in Elvis are true, then right-back may become a bigger need than you think, especially as Demetriou is probably better utilised in midfield.

As said above he's been mostly playing at CB for the last few seasons, although has filled in at RB if required.

If it's a player coach role then he might accept a coaches wages in order to keep playing whilst getting some experience.

Probably won't happen but you never know.

Yes indeed, i see no reason why he would want to come back here.

And agree its time to stop leaning on old players looking for a paycheque.

He’s definitely one I’d have back but unfortunately he won’t want to drop to L2. Assuming he lives down that way I guess someone like Brentford or QPR wouldn’t be the worst commute into west London.

From Premier League regular, and captain, to absolute shambles in League 2. Seriously?

I'd be beyond shocked if
A) he'd be interested
B) we're good enough to turn him down if he was, which he won't be

Back