• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BOXING: Darren Barker Set to Retire

Blue_Wes

Simple Minded
Not sure if anyone watched this at the weekend. But it looks like Darren Barker is set to retire after just one (unsuccesful) defence of his recently aquired IBF Middleweight belt.

According to Simms he's popped his hip again and it looks like curtains for him. Such as shame as he's always been one of my favourite boxers, in and out of the ring, and he'd worked so hard to win the belt from Geale. He's genuinely one of the most unlucky men around, suffering injury, attacks and personal tragedy, and yet overcame them all to the win the world title, only to lose it in a horrible fashion at the first attempt and he'll probably lose his career too.

I've never met him, but he always come's across as a genuine, down-to-earth, one-of-the-lads, type guy. He's been through so much, its guys like him you wish to be successful. I wouldn't be surprised if he"officially" calls it a day. He can wrestle with the idea that he could carry on, but I truly believe he's finished. Unfortunately. I'd say his mind/confidence is gone, more than his ability & that Is the deciding factor. Did you see the interview with Kugan the next morning? You can tell he's made his mind up already.

That being said. he's potentially got one more payday (the Sturm rematch) which, as long as he is fit & healthy, I hope he takes, for his & his family's future.

I've never met him, but he always come's across as a genuine, down-to-earth, one-of-the-lads, type guy. He's been through so much, its guys like him you wish to be successful. I wouldn't be surprised if he"officially" calls it a day. He can wrestle with the idea that he could carry on, but I truly believe he's finished. Unfortunately. I'd say his mind/confidence is gone, more than his ability & that Is the deciding factor. Did you see the interview with Kugan the next morning? You can tell he's made his mind up already.

That being said. he's potentially got one more payday (the Sturm rematch) which, as long as he is fit & healthy, I hope he takes, for his & his family's future.

Apparently the win against Geale to earn the title was a £1million payday for him, hopefully that's true and he won't have to put his body on the line. That said, he did say his Mrs 'spends money like it's going out of fashion' so you never know. I'd just rather see a good guy retire knowing he's been a world title holder, in decent health and not having to put himself at risk. It seems Murray has a title shot in that division though, but I started a generic boxing thread for that.

I'm Wouldnt of thought he was skint or hard up. He's worked hard & deserves what he's got, if not a little more.

Back