• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Boxing Day Memories

AndyT

Lord of the Reedy River
Boxing Day has always been a day to look for first when the fixtures come out, to see who we are playing over Christmas.

Having attended many of these matches, it's difficult to pick out one that stands out, but I'd have to choose the 4-2 win over Charlton in 1993, just after Fry had left. Great atmosphere, followed of course by that Birmingham home game, as well.

Other memories include the 1-0 win away at Norwich a year or two after.

As mentioned on another thread, it tends to be a good day for us, as well.

The Boxing Day game that I really remember , although it was played on the 27th of December was against Lincoln in 1971 . We won 2-1 with Bernie Lewis getting both goals in front of over 15.000 , it might seem strange that I go for that game with so many great games played on Boxing Day , but we had a great team at the time , King Billy Best and co it was the first time you could taste success coming to the club that we loved .

Colchester away in 2015. A packed expectant away end.
John White and Dave Mooney each score. 0-2 thanks for the three points and back down the A12.
Sadly this was the last Boxing Day match I went to with my 23 year old son, Sam, who passed away the following June.

Like Simon was at that game V Lincoln,but unlike him, i was always expecting the worst.
My game was at home V Colcheste utd,1975, when at H/T i ran onto the pitch when the CUFC players came onto the pitch.
I was dressed as a women with a yellow" kiss me quick"bowler hat on, bought at the seafront.
All the CUFC players ignored me,other than the CUFC keeper who had a quick dance with me.
The North Bank all cheered,as did most of the ground.
I was then taken into the detention room ,which was then under the main stand.
The boss of the police at home games,Ins Dic......,knew me!!! but let me back into the North Bank saying to me "he had never laughted so much at a Blues game"
I had to leave the dress ,handbag,etc in the room.so i was ok
Many years later,i wrote to the Evening Echo,asking if they had a photo of that incident...because the Echo bloke took a few as i was lead out.
They did and sent me one (B/W) which i have still hanging on my wall.
Happiest of many,those days ,supporting the Blues

Last edited:
Boxing Day has always been a day to look for first when the fixtures come out, to see who we are playing over Christmas.

Having attended many of these matches, it's difficult to pick out one that stands out, but I'd have to choose the 4-2 win over Charlton in 1993, just after Fry had left. Great atmosphere, followed of course by that Birmingham home game, as well.

Other memories include the 1-0 win away at Norwich a year or two after.

As mentioned on another thread, it tends to be a good day for us, as well.

Loved that game against Brum .The atmosphere that day was great too.

Could also write about BD ,1974 i think,Palace away,where 3 Palace fans thought they were going to ambush me alone!!!!!
they never knew that there was two of us (me and Micky.B).
We sent them home to think again......

Back