• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Boxing : Prediction League

Ok mate, give me a shout when you need a prediction. You must know that I know more about baking a Victoria Sponge that I do about boxing :smile:

Let me know when you're doing your great British Bake Off prediction League, I'll* be in.

*Mrs Blue_Wes

Boxing is back with a bang, which focuses around 3 main bouts this weekend...

- Anthony Joshua V Gary Cornish

- George Groves V Badou Jack

- Floyd Mayweather V Andre Berto

My thoughts on AJ's fight are well documented by now. Waste of AJ's time. Can't/won't learn anything from this at all. Unless he's been told by Eddie to take it easy & put a show on, then AJ finishes this whenever he wants. Legitimately, this is a first round possibility, with the max distance of 3 rounds. The difference in class is ridiculous. Gary Cornish is in for a painful night.

AJ in round 2

Next up, the one I've been looking forward to, ever since it was announced. Groves V Jack for the WBC Supermiddleweight World Title. Finally Groves should get that coveted win he wants. Even on a bad day, Groves is vastly superior to Jack. Better footwork, movement, jab, counter-punching & power. Barring a complete meltdown & collapse, this should be a cert.
WAR Groves!!

GG wins by stoppage, round 9

And finally, Berto V Floyd. In terms of competitiveness, Floyd's worst choice of opponent for years. In terms of potential future marketability, a great choice. And therefore, I'm edging towards a possible Floyd stoppage here, which has become a bit of a rarity over the last 5 years. Think about it, Spark Berto with ease, soak up a bit of flak, then claim you're "coming out of retirement", one last time, to give the fans what they want, because the Berto fight was such a "disappointment". Fiendishly clever.

Therefore, I'm going for a Floyd stoppage. Round 6

AJ / Cornish
AJ to remind Hughie what a KO is, and who the number one contender is. WAR AJ! Sadly, realistically I can't disagree with GBJ on this, 2nd round KO in a very easy fight. But I'll be there again, with my brand new AJ trucker cap (I'll even let you pick the colour ;)) Hopefully the Dillian Whyte fight does get made for October, and he starts moving through the gears in terms of better quality opponents. (As a side, have they found a replacement opponenet for Whyte this week?).
AJ in round 2

GG v Jack
Not sure on this one, Jack is supposed to be a tough little so and so, I've not seen enough of him to know. Groves has speed, accuracy and power, and that's invaluable. If it's the hyped, focussed Groves then I think he'll do well, but given it's away and Jack is renowned for being tough; I'm gonna go Groves, but on points after a bit of a war.
GG UD.

Floyd has a lot to prove again, having received quite a lot of flak from his last few fights. As GBJ says, he'll want to impress, and he'll look for the KO, and take more risks than usual, I agree stoppage, but later on, nine or ten, but I'll go ten.
FMJ 10th

Just pleased the boxing is back.

Anthony Joshua V Gary Cornish AJ in 5 TKO

George Groves V Badou Jack BJ (points)

Floyd Mayweather V Andre Berto AB in 6 KO

AJ / Cornish
AJ to remind Hughie what a KO is, and who the number one contender is. WAR AJ! Sadly, realistically I can't disagree with GBJ on this, 2nd round KO in a very easy fight. But I'll be there again, with my brand new AJ trucker cap (I'll even let you pick the colour ;)) Hopefully the Dillian Whyte fight does get made for October, and he starts moving through the gears in terms of better quality opponents. (As a side, have they found a replacement opponenet for Whyte this week?).
AJ in round 2

GG v Jack
Not sure on this one, Jack is supposed to be a tough little so and so, I've not seen enough of him to know. Groves has speed, accuracy and power, and that's invaluable. If it's the hyped, focussed Groves then I think he'll do well, but given it's away and Jack is renowned for being tough; I'm gonna go Groves, but on points after a bit of a war.
GG UD.

Floyd has a lot to prove again, having received quite a lot of flak from his last few fights. As GBJ says, he'll want to impress, and he'll look for the KO, and take more risks than usual, I agree stoppage, but later on, nine or ten, but I'll go ten.
FMJ 10th

Just pleased the boxing is back.

Haha I was gunna bite, but I'd just be regurgitating the same old spiel regarding AJ & Hughie. I was quite surprised when checking the WH odds, to see that they get longer for AJ as the fight goes on. He's 2/1 in the first round, then 12/5 for second, 10/3 for third, and the odds grow progressively per round. Can't ever remember seeing that before. The bookies are fancying a very early finish.

The only thing that worries me about Groves, as I've said before, he's changed under Fitzpatrick, to his own detriment IMO. Under Booth, I think he could have mixed it with anyone at SMW. He should have more than enough to beat Jack (I'm fancying Jack to walk onto a counter-punch, short right hook to finish) but I worry for him against the likes of DeGale.

Also, as you're going (have a good night by the way) make sure you catch the Dave Ryan V Wayne Hibbert fight. It's guaranteed to be a cracker & potential Fight Of The Year candidate.

Here's mine:
Joshua 3rd round KO
Jack Points victory
Mayweather UD

Back