• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sorry Barna, in what way? The fact they're a L2 club, or the example of what they're doing to promote football to children, particularly from ethnic families?

If it's the former, well, yes, they've done incredibly well and I wish them all the best (while somehow hoping Swansea win - is that wrong? There's still an affinity with their club!), but they are really ONLY there because top clubs don't really rate this competition any more, and don't field "best" sides. I don't agree with that, silverware is silverware and every club should strive to do its best, however, unfortunately, the money at the top of the game means that the top Prem teams really aren't bothered about it.

If it's the latter, Southend United have an excellent Community Trust that works with a number of schools in and around the Southend area, many of whom are 80% or more FSM or EASL. Schools are also being targeted for special promotions and player appearances for exactly the reasons Bradford are doing, it's just there isn't quite the "divide" in Southend that there is in Bradford.

Sorry Barna, in what way?

OBL,

I wasn't really thinking of the ways you describe in some detail and at length.

Just that, as with Bradford, our day out at Wembley is a chance to reconnect the town with its football club.

That link sems to have been in decline to me, ever since the time Tilly took the team round the town in an open top bus, to celebrate our great League 1 Championship win.

OBL,

Just that, as with Bradford, our day out at Wembley is a chance to reconnect the town with its football club.

That link sems to have been in decline to me, ever since the time Tilly took the team round the town in an open top bus, to celebrate our great League 1 Championship win.

There's not been much to celebrate. Lets hope the JPT match begins to reverse that trend.

Im sure it will help people reconnnect.

Being in league two does mean people will lose interest and as MK says, not had anything to really get excited about in 4 years except the play offs of last year.

OBL,

Ok, well, then, yes. As happened with the Chelsea games and the Man Utd game before that - strangely, I don't remember it being such a massive thing with the two promotions under Tilson.

It's also a great chance for Ron Martin to re-connect with the fans!

Back