• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

couple of great finishes for the goals! Sending off was a touch harsh. When are ref's going to learn that when two players are running at full speed they may touch legs and one is going to go down. He is clearly not trying to trip the player.

Brilliant stuff, loads of chances created by the looks of it too and most of it coming from Clohessey.

Really looks like Sturrock has found most of his starting XI now - I still think Zaaboub will eventually slot in on the left with Simpson seemingly making the right hand side his own.

couple of great finishes for the goals! Sending off was a touch harsh. When are ref's going to learn that when two players are running at full speed they may touch legs and one is going to go down. He is clearly not trying to trip the player.

Yea, but by the same token, the player chasing knows that too and if he crosses 'innocently' behind the other player they probably will touch by accident and he'll bring him down.

I'd say it was a tad harsh, but got to be given and the barometer I always use, is if it was against us, I'd want a yellow for that.

Some highlights to enjoy for once.
Clohessy's red card was outrageously harsh, referee could not wait to get the card out of his pocket.

Clohessy's red card was outrageously harsh, referee could not wait to get the card out of his pocket.

Most of the comment seems to be the the harshness, or otherwise, regarding the second yellow. This, unfortunately, was all the more likely, following the silly first yellow which, IIRC was for kicking the ball away. Rightly or wrongly this will have heightened the referees attention and irritation towards Clohessy.

It was certainly not "outrageously harsh". A yellow card for a trip of this nature (which may or may not have been accidental) will be shown more often than not. Incidents at full speed always appear so much worse. Up and coming referees looking to progress, as this one certainly is, are not going to risk upsetting the assessors by not carding an incident like that. Some of the more lenient referees (Hegley, Russell etc) who are going nowhere at this stage of their careers might let this go but I don't think anyone should be outraged at this decision.

It was certainly not "outrageously harsh". A yellow card for a trip of this nature (which may or may not have been accidental) will be shown more often than not. Incidents at full speed always appear so much worse. Up and coming referees looking to progress, as this one certainly is, are not going to risk upsetting the assessors by not carding an incident like that. Some of the more lenient referees (Hegley, Russell etc) who are going nowhere at this stage of their careers might let this go but I don't think anyone should be outraged at this decision.

This just shows that the game has been taken over by referees, who love being the centre of the whole game.
If it was Clohessy that was tripped I doubt very much the Bradford player would have been booked, I'd also be very surprised if we where awarded a free kick for that.

The Bradford player ran in front of Clohessy and never a booking for me

This just shows that the game has been taken over by referees, who love being the centre of the whole game.
If it was Clohessy that was tripped I doubt very much the Bradford player would have been booked, I'd also be very surprised if we where awarded a free kick for that.

No, it shows how endemic cheating by managers and players has made the game almost impossible to referee effectively.

Anyone notice the typo underneath the video? Apparently Bradford are 'left languishing at the bottom of League 1'

No, it shows how endemic cheating by managers and players has made the game almost impossible to referee effectively.

No, it's because most referees haven't actually played a game of football in their lives.
Most referees now days love the fact that the whole game can be changed by them, either that or most are useless, I think that every game. I can't actually remember the last time I thought a referee did well and that opinion is not effected by the result.
I can understand the players cheating but cheating by managers?
That decision to book Clohessy was not the right decision. A free kick and a final warning was, thankfully it didn't cost us much.

No, it's because most referees haven't actually played a game of football in their lives.
Most referees now days love the fact that the whole game can be changed by them, either that or most are useless, I think that every game. I can't actually remember the last time I thought a referee did well and that opinion is not effected by the result.
I can understand the players cheating but cheating by managers?
That decision to book Clohessy was not the right decision. A free kick and a final warning was, thankfully it didn't cost us much.

Other than at the very top level, most referees are not going to earn a living out of the game. It will take most of them many years to get anywhere near the Football League and I doubt whether too many of them put all that effort in merely to be able to pervert the course of League matches when they eventually get there. You think most referees are useless? Bearing in mind these are the best we have, why might that be? The speed of the game coupled with the cheating I eluded to earlier (combined with complex interpretations of the offside law which are not fit for purpose) actually make it incredibly difficult to referee matches at this level and above.

You state categorically that a freekick and a final warning would have been the right decision. Why? If he did it on purpose, the card was valid. If he didn't what's the final warning for?

We are short of referees on the local Sunday League. Perhaps you'd like to give it a try; you'd be very welcome.

If it was the other way around then we would all think it was a yellow. I don't think Clohessy purposely fouled him, but he had already lost his cool, unnecessarily, earlier in the game when he smashed a ball into the crowd... So I'm sure the ref had half a eye on him. When it's a breakaway a freekick isn't a punishment (hence why players trip opponents to induce the freekick and give teammates a chance to get back. Therefore a breakaway foul like that should always be a yellow, IMO

If it was the other way around then we would all think it was a yellow. I don't think Clohessy purposely fouled him, but he had already lost his cool, unnecessarily, earlier in the game when he smashed a ball into the crowd... So I'm sure the ref had half a eye on him. When it's a breakaway a freekick isn't a punishment (hence why players trip opponents to induce the freekick and give teammates a chance to get back. Therefore a breakaway foul like that should always be a yellow, IMO

It was a break yes, but it was just over the half way line, and by the touchline, with plenty of covering players. Therefore in my opinion a yellow was harsh. We all expect a free kick for this sort of incident, as its one of those things, and sometimes when its the last man, a red card is unfortunately shown.

If this free kick had been further up the pitch, with a much better scoring opportunity then a yellow may have been warrented, but as it was it was very harsh. I guess we are lucky that he is missing a JPT game, and not league games.

The second yellow - yes if that had been done to a Blues player I would be looking for a yellow card, but isn't that what refs are for - to cut out the bias and decide properly about intent? It looked very accidental to me. I imagine the referees' assessor might well question it.

It was a break yes, but it was just over the half way line, and by the touchline, with plenty of covering players. Therefore in my opinion a yellow was harsh. We all expect a free kick for this sort of incident, as its one of those things, and sometimes when its the last man, a red card is unfortunately shown.

If this free kick had been further up the pitch, with a much better scoring opportunity then a yellow may have been warrented, but as it was it was very harsh. I guess we are lucky that he is missing a JPT game, and not league games.

I think it was one of those ones which was a true 50/50 whether a ref would give a card for it. It wasn't his first foul, and he'd already lost his head previously... which IMO swung it.

My point is that because it was a break, and we were outnumbered IMO (5 on 4 I think) a freekick isn't enough of a punishment (there's no incentive stopping a player from bringing the attacker down)... which is why a ref may go for a card anyway.

It was unfortunate, rather than harsh IMO... if Clohessy had any sense he wouldn't have got a completely pointless 1st Yellow when we were 2-0 up and coasting.

Last edited:
Back