• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Evening Echo

The News
Match report: Bradford City 0, Southend United 2

TWO goals in the space of five second half minutes saw Southend United record their second away win of the week this afternoon.

More...

Interested to hear the match reports from the travelling faithful

Great win !!

So, under SCP that’s 9 wins, 4 draws and 4 defeats in 17 games. That’s 1.84 points per game average, meaning over a season we would have gained 84 points, which means a play off place.

Next season is going to be a good’un

UTBs

Another great result and another clean sheet. It should be ideal preparation for our final game next Saturday. It would be icing on the stick of Southend rock if we could produce another 4-0 for that one. Simple eh?

Now then - into the pub for some free wi-fi and some beer (of course :smile:).

Pitch was poor in places (hard rolled mud) but overall it played well. And the first half was quite engaging without really having that "edge" that would have been present earlier in the season. They had some good chances ......... and we had some chances as well - particularly when MAF got in behind the defence and squared the ball across the box.

I think they were targeting Elvis as a weakness as a lot of their play went down his side. By the way, Fortune was playing as a left wing midfielder ......... and coach as he was telling Theo how and when he should be running for balls. Interesting to see.

Come the second half and Bradford wouldn't let us have the ball for 15 minutes. Very unsporting and in that time a couple of good chances went begging for them. And then for the next 15 minutes we wouldn't let them have the ball. That's more like it - marvellous.

Theo goes off, Kightly goes to the wing and Fortune goes up front with the ever fizzing Coxy.

Pressure on the Bradford goal, corner, ball recycled (and all that) and still up front is Mr John White who loops a header into the net in front of the travelling fans.

Thereafter Bradford huffed and puffed but I didn't think the result looked in doubt. Bradford were pressing but Dru runs (charges might be more accurate) out from the box with the ball, Manto to his right and Fortune to the left. I would have picked the ball to Manto but Dru slides it to the left, defender comes to block Fortune's shot but it only hits him and loops over the goalie.

Fortune rightly milks the applause of the travelling fans. Good to see.

Cox could (should?) have added a 3rd at the end as well! :smile:

Man of the match: John White - scores one but more importantly marshalls a back four that have conceded 0 goals in 3 matches whilst scoring nine.

And some good beer here as well. :thumbsup:

Who needs Ferdinand, Wordsworth, Wright, Turner, Coker, Timlin and Kiernan!

Bare bones strike again... 2 goals next week and we'll have scored 40 at home for the first time since 1987/88.

Who needs Ferdinand, Wordsworth, Wright, Turner, Coker, Timlin and Kiernan!

Bare bones strike again... 2 goals next week and we'll have scored 40 at home for the first time since 1987/88.

Surely this speaks volumes.I was going to start a thread on this but...

Players come and players go and every season for the last four there have been calls for John White to pack in. Well there ya go.

Db4e68vWsAIP81U.jpg

Players come and players go and every season for the last four there have been calls for John White to pack in. Well there ya go.

Powell: "I really like Whitey as a character. He's very understated but he's a leader in the way he plays. He's a steady player and the lads look up to him in a different way. He put his body on the line defensively and scored with a towering header."

Now then - into the pub for some free wi-fi and some beer (of course :smile:).

Pitch was poor in places (hard rolled mud) but overall it played well. And the first half was quite engaging without really having that "edge" that would have been present earlier in the season. They had some good chances ......... and we had some chances as well - particularly when MAF got in behind the defence and squared the ball across the box.

I think they were targeting Elvis as a weakness as a lot of their play went down his side. By the way, Fortune was playing as a left wing midfielder ......... and coach as he was telling Theo how and when he should be running for balls. Interesting to see.

Come the second half and Bradford wouldn't let us have the ball for 15 minutes. Very unsporting and in that time a couple of good chances went begging for them. And then for the next 15 minutes we wouldn't let them have the ball. That's more like it - marvellous.

Theo goes off, Kightly goes to the wing and Fortune goes up front with the ever fizzing Coxy.

Pressure on the Bradford goal, corner, ball recycled (and all that) and still up front is Mr John White who loops a header into the net in front of the travelling fans.

Thereafter Bradford huffed and puffed but I didn't think the result looked in doubt. Bradford were pressing but Dru runs (charges might be more accurate) out from the box with the ball, Manto to his right and Fortune to the left. I would have picked the ball to Manto but Dru slides it to the left, defender comes to block Fortune's shot but it only hits him and loops over the goalie.

Fortune rightly milks the applause of the travelling fans. Good to see.

Cox could (should?) have added a 3rd at the end as well! :smile:

Man of the match: John White - scores one but more importantly marshalls a back four that have conceded 0 goals in 3 matches whilst scoring nine.

And some good beer here as well. :thumbsup:

Great report! Thanks.

Superb away performance/result again, where has this form away from Roots Hall been all season? Nevertheless, it’s hard not to be positive as a fan at the moment, with CP in charge we have every chance of having a successful season next year! #UTB

It looked like a nil nil game until the substitution when we went for a proper 4-4-2 formation.

Bradford has some chances, but Oxley did well making a great double save in the second half.

I thought Elvis did well again on the wrong side of the pitch.

Yearwood was good, great run and pass for the second goal.

Macca was poor, nothing came off for him today.

I thought everyone put in a decent shift and played well as a team even if the sort of 4-3-3 formation didn't really suit us.

Another great performance by the team... My stand out perforfmances were:-

Oxley - had very little to do but kept us in the game when it was 0-0 with a great double save.
White - Lead by example and set a great example for Kyps to follow.
Manton - a solid performance. Allowed Yearwood the freedom that he uses so wisely. An old head on very young shoulders.

A comment on the Bradford forum: "2nd goal today epitomised everything. We were moving the ball around their box. Then it became dithering, f***ing around, overplaying it... there’s maybe an option to get the ball in or play an easy option but we don’t... we then lose it, they break down the middle and score. No looking behind or going sideways, clinical and fast - everything we are not." Could have been a quote from Shrimperzone last year.

Another brilliant away performance. 3 wins in a week, aggregate score 9-0, love to know the last time we had that sort of week

The season is finishing too early now but so many positives to move forward with. Think SCP record will get us around 80+ points over the season which would be at least a play off place,

Yet again, Dru outstanding alongside the impressive Mantom (would love to sign him), Oxley did what he has done all season, POTY by a country mile, so pleased for JW, a real unsung hero, never lets us down. Macca, another assist, 14 for the season plus his goals, he also has had a very good and consistent season. Great to see Elvis, Harry starting in the team alongside Dru and other youngsters coming through.

So much to look forward to come August. lets hope that SCP can keep those he wants and sign some added quality to clearly on its day is a very good team

I didn’t go today but isn’t it nice to be finishing the season on a high. I can’t make next week’s game but handed my seaso over to my mate after a 4-0 win last weekend and after 2 more wins since we really are on a roll. As others have said, things look really positive for next season and after looking like certs for relegation at one stage we could now finish the season in the top 10. Hats off to Chris Powell and his team for breathing life back into my love for Southend United after a hard year.

It looked like a nil nil game until the substitution when we went for a proper 4-4-2 formation.

Bradford has some chances, but Oxley did well making a great double save in the second half.

I thought Elvis did well again on the wrong side of the pitch.

Yearwood was good, great run and pass for the second goal.

Macca was poor, nothing came off for him today.

I thought everyone put in a decent shift and played well as a team even if the sort of 4-3-3 formation didn't really suit us.

I wasn't at the game so can't comment on his overall performance but he did proivide the cross for the first goal.

Bradford, over the years hasn't been a happy hunting ground. For those that have not been, its half a Premier League ground (literally) and can generate a bit of noise. Fair play to the travelling Shrimpers today (418, I think), who more than held their own.

First half didn't really ever get going. Oxley made a decent save halfway through, I am struggling to think of good chance we had. Bradford got stronger towards the break, but defensively we looked sound. Remember, this defence has Elvis and Harry in it. The future is bright in that regard.

Second half, Bradford came out and wanted it. Again we had to defend hard and deep (oo-er), Oxley making a cracking save when it seemed certain they'd score. And then we got better. We won a couple of corners. We had a couple of shots. Kightly came on for Theo. And then White got his head to a cross, it didn't looked a clean header, but it was good enough. 1-0 Blues, and I keep my record of seeing every goal John White has ever scored! A few minutes later Mantom wins a tackle deep in our half, Dru picks it up and runs. And runs. And runs. And runs. Gives it to Fortune who shot is deflected into the top corner. All of a sudden we're 2 up and Bradford have nothing left. Cox should have got a third late on but his curling effort was inches wide of the post.

Full time. Happy players, happy fans and a very happy manager.

That was a performance of grit and effort. Rattus noted Fortune training Theo, Kightly was doing the same with Elvis later in the game. Harry didn't look out of place. Dru continues to be improve.

However, if I were a Bradford fan, I'd be disappointed to have got nothing given the amount of ball they had. A bit like us earlier in the season, they didn't seem to know how to create chances and didn't know what to do once we scored. We were more street wise today. Something we very rarely were in the first half of the season. I also think Chris Powell is shrewdly looking at next season, and I wouldn't be surprised to see us make a mid for Mantom, who was arguably our best player today.

Cracking day out.

Another brilliant away performance. 3 wins in a week, aggregate score 9-0, love to know the last time we had that sort of week

The season is finishing too early now but so many positives to move forward with. Think SCP record will get us around 80+ points over the season which would be at least a play off place,

Yet again, Dru outstanding alongside the impressive Mantom (would love to sign him), Oxley did what he has done all season, POTY by a country mile, so pleased for JW, a real unsung hero, never lets us down. Macca, another assist, 14 for the season plus his goals, he also has had a very good and consistent season. Great to see Elvis, Harry starting in the team alongside Dru and other youngsters coming through.

So much to look forward to come August. lets hope that SCP can keep those he wants and sign some added quality to clearly on its day is a very good team

Three wins in a week pah!!!

I raise you two wins in two days :raspberry:

1972/73 - League Division Three
April 20th 5-0 v Port Vale
April 21st 5-1 v Chesterfield

Net score 9-0.

In the words of Max Boyce " I know 'cos I was there". :happy::happy::happy:

Didn’t realise but macca has 6 goals and 14 assists, so overall contributed 20 goals so far. To me macca has had a good season.

Back