• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Bradford City 0-4 Southend United

Great performance today. Humphrys was MOM just the perfect partner for Coxy.
I dont think any player was poor today, even Hyam played well.
Great away day and beer £2 a pint !
Bring on the Hatters next week fellow Shrimpers.

Last edited:
Coxy's goal was immense! Total class. The other three were pretty good too...

Partly helped by a poor Bradford side, but this was the best I've seen our lot play all season.

Bishop - 8 - a run in the side is seeing his confidence grow no end.
White - 8 - consistent performance as ever from Mr Consistent.
Turner - 9 - a near faultless performance I'd suggest. Not sure he missed a header or tackle.
Moore - 8 - starting to boss things at this level.
Elvis - 7 - interesting to see if Demetriou wins his place back.
Dieng - 7 - clearly up for it against his old club.
Hyam - 8 - best i've seen him play for us. Cleared up in front of the defence.
Mantom - 8 - plays better when further forward. Gets in good positions.
Hart - 6 - the one for me who didn't immediately gel. Looks a good player but possibly lacking a bit of match fitness, or possibly more used to playing in a back 4. Looks like Maldini.
Cox - 8 - great goal and great work rate. Always supporting whether we're attacking or defending.
Humphrys - 9 - good goals but just having a physical presence up there helped the rest of the team so much. Shows exactly why we've missed Hopper. Looks a really good player actually. Keen to see him against better opposition.

subs.

Yearwood - the other midfielders playing well will be good for him - he'll need to raise his game which he's more than capable of doing. We'd have had 5 if he'd played in Robinson instead of Kelman.
Robinson & Kelman - will be gutted they didn't get more time against that defence!

After watching the highlights, can only say "wow" typical "Shrimpers" last weeks performance against Plymouth to this. Easy to say, same old club for anyone who's supported for years. However, Humphrey's debut somewhat reminds me of Freddy's first game for us. Let's hope it's the start of something good.

Humphrys a great signing- not some U23 we need to hand back either. Cox is a fantastic player, he needs a partner but Humphrys you can see also reads the game and anticipates very well, they were on the same wavelength - they will be a great pairing. With Hopper too, Kelman coming along they and Theo as in my view very decent backup/player off the bench I would very much prefer we didn’t develop one of Tottenhams U23 for them- bring Kelman on instead.

Just back from the game. My first this season (all the away games up my end of the north west are at the back end of this season). Southend looked far better than I expected they would given the reports I've read through the season thus far. Both hard working and, when they got the ball down, capable of playing a bit too. Hopefully we're on the up...
Humphreys really impressed me - always talking with his team-mates, a bit of arrogance about him, ran the width of the pitch and showed real composure for both his goals. A great start.
The Southend faithful were in good voice - see you all in Accrington!

Brilliant performance. Bradford were very poor and their centre backs very sluggish, but we were fired up, the formation worked and the early goal settled us.

Some really great play today and wonderful goals, have t enjoyed a Southend performance like that for ages.

When was the last t8 e we won by 4 away from home?
I went to Chesterfield on Good Friday 2017 when we won 4-0.

It would be unkind to take anything away from Kelman's goal last week, which was as audacious as it was brilliant. Yet it stood out even more when it was seen in the context of the 90 minutes of dross that passed before. (maybe I shouldn't include Cox's penalty in that). Today there were so many good things going on that it is more easy to leave something out.
In recent weeks I've been wondering about the value of ifollow, it's not the defeats that worried me, it was the terrible quality of the football..........mostly from us. I was not hugely optimistic today, meeting a side that had suddenly struck a vein of form. Following the pathetic displays against Portsmouth and Plymouth, I feared the worst. Hardly having settled in front of my computer screen, the ball was already in the Bradford net. I, like most long suffering fans, hadn't understood that this wasn't just a lucky start but a precursor for the next ninety minutes. On reflection, was it that goal that set everything off? I have a feeling we would have won anyway, without that early advantage.
The team was hardly recognisable from earlier performances, for the most part the ball found and stuck with our players. there were pleasing triangles, backheals and drives into their half , with Humphrys tormenting their defense and showing exactly one of the major things we have recently been missing.........since the injury to Hooper. I'm afraid it was almost embarrassing to see the contrast when he was finally subbed but of course by then it didn't matter. People can say that Bradford were poor but honestly, playing at the level we did today, we would have been a difficult proposition for any side in the league. Of course the big question is, will we be able to maintain that level next week?
One can wax lyrical about Humphrys and Cox today but it was a brilliant team performance all round. I'd find it hard to disagree with CP who claimed it to be our best performance of the season. All four goals were good, well worked and well taken yet there was a moment of brilliance, IMHO to match, Kelman's wonder goal last week and it was extremely pleasing that it came from another one of our youths, not in attack but in goal. Without that wonder save from Bishop, when the score was 0-2, who knows if the match could have turned out differently? I look forward to seeing a replay of that again...............in fact I'd probably enjoy watching the whole game again!..............Bravo Blues!!! :Smile:

Last edited:
I've just watched the highlights, all four goals were top draw! Let's keep it up boys, we've got a tough test against Luton, but with finishing like that we've got a decent chance. UTB's :Happy:

When as the last time we won by 5 away from home...oh so close to a fifth today!

Oh I agree. If everyone is fit and available then he’s nowhere near the side but my point here is he’s been the next available forward when we’ve played 1 up top. It takes Theo four or five chances to get a goal. But he’s a workhorse and I guess with a better ratio he’d never be in league one

Absa bloody exactly

It's been a weird season. We're 10th, yet if you speak to a lot of people, we're diabolical, terrible season, Powell must go, we play negative football etc.

Chris Powell needed today. We needed Sam Hart and Stephen Humphrys, and the reasons why should be very clear now. Our threadbare squad has been on its arse for weeks, perhaps even months. You could argue that the Gillingham game massively papered over the cracks that have been forming for a while, but last week we were so short it was almost embarrassing.

Hendrie needed competition for his place, for me he's not really good enough to be playing week in, week out. Sam Hart looked strong and aggressive, he picks up a lot of yellows going by his record but we do need someone like that - the lack of bite has been telling recently.

Last week was dismal but I don't think I have ever looked at a Southend team and bench and been so pessimistic about our prospects. Today, what a difference with Moore back, two new signings and the lack of pressure that comes with playing away from home.

Make no mistake, Bradford were tough opponents. No goals conceded at Valley Parade since November 3, second in the form table. Powell had to make yet another change to the formation, as he's basically been almost forced to do every week, to accommodate Bunn's injury. Neither Kightly or McLaughlin can justify starting at the moment so the starting line-up won't have surprised many.

But what a difference Humphrys can make. Robinson, as Ayrshire rightly says, is a player that gives his all and causes defenders a lot of problems on his day, but to be fair is not the striker you'd want starting every week in a League One side. Humphrys looks a handful, a real aggressive, mobile striker with a point to prove, two good feet and the ability to bring others into the game.

It always puzzles me why whenever we sign a new striker, his goals per game ratio is taken as the main indicator of whether it will be a good signing or not. Clubs like ours don't sign established 30 goal a season strikers. We sign other strikers and hope they will turn into 30 goal a season strikers. Mainly based on their attributes and how they fit in. Before he signed, Hopper hadn't been prolific. Nor had Corr, nor had Barnard. Charlie MacDonald had. He left us with two goals to his name back in about 2009. Probably the last time we signed a striker that had a strong recent goalscoring record.

Strikers at our level need to deliver a lot more than goals. That's why McCoulsky was binned. They need to win the ball high up the pitch, put pressure on defenders, make intelligent runs and bring others into play. It's why Theo Robinson has played quite a lot of Championship football - off the ball there's not actually many better strikers at this level (XG fans will know this from his stats this year). Goals are also nice. But if they don't do the ugly stuff, you're playing with 10 men. McCoulsky will get you 20 goals in a team that puts the ball on a plate for him every week. We're not that team.

That said, only 8 teams have scored more this season. Chris Powell is no defensive manager, when the choices are available to him. We all saw that at the tail end of last season. He's also only played one up top when he's had to. Our home record needs fixing, but who knows? The lift that the new boys have given us might give us a bit of momentum to see the season out and win a few more home games.

Today's a big result and a big relief. Five more wins needed to make sure we stay in League One, in a season where we've been without, long term, our goalkeeper (Oxley), the player signed to be our main central defender (Lennon), both full backs (Demetriou/Coker), our main striker (Hopper), and three back-up options (Gard, Kyprianou, Barratt). I know I go on about it, but it's not going away.

Last edited:
Back