• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
I doubt too many of us saw this point coming. Great result for Phil and the boys. Get your reports and ratings down here.

Didn't see or hear the game but a point is a great result for us up there, Wordsworth scoring helped my prediction league as well!

2nd half we were by far the better team. Bit disappointed we didn't win it. Ranger will be kicking himself for missing the header at the end.

From listening on the radio it would appear it was a very deserved point. Could have been a win on another day

Match report: Bradford City 1, Southend United 1

ANTHONY Wordsworth’s second half header secured Southend United an impressive 1-1 draw at high-flying Bradford City tonight.

More...

An excellent point! Stops the rot with our recent dreadful away form, builds on Saturday's win and sounds like we should have nicked it. Ranger's influence is now very clear! Well done Blues and the faithful up there tonight!

For those that say that spelling does not count, I will simply say that I am quite horse after that game. :unsure: :nope:

Others say that Yorkshire Tea is the best in the world - it certainly tastes like sweet nectar on the vocal chords at the moment. :smile:

Deserved a point tonight. Bradford outplayed us first half and could have been further ahead. Second half we were the better side and should have won it at the end - Ranger really should have done better with a header. Bradford barely had a shot in the second half, despite their desire to attack which meant the game was unusually open, so every time we picked up the ball we had a chance to push on.

Ranger wasn't as good as Saturday and I was surprised he wasn't taken off earlier. We are very reliant on long balls to him; he didn't do a lot else. Cox was lively and Lenny had a good game. Coker probably just edges MOTM for being our best threat going forward and putting in a great cross for the goal.

McLaughlin struggled again to make an impact and McGlashen didn't look like he knew what to do with the ball, resulting in very little end product.

Defensively we were very sound for the second game in a row.

Bizzarre world of southend. Get stuffed away from home but somehow win at Sheff Utd, and draw at Bolton and Bradford. Got our tickets for MK on Saturday, the team should go there with confidence, fancy us for a result

What a performance that was. That was not an ordinary draw: That was a fabulous draw and a pulsating second half in particular.

For the first half Bradford looked like a team doing well - we matched them at times but their passing and movement was slicker and quicker and they were winning all those "50/50" balls that you do when your team is doing well. But we kept our shape, looked disciplined and looked okay for a team that has been so shocking away from home on too many occasions already this season.

When the goal came it was very disappointing. Thommo was well positioned to cut out a ball through to their striker but slipped as he changed direction. Their man was through on goal and scored. A real shame but there was no drop in confidence or "sag" from the team who just got back on with the game.

Out came the Blues for the second half and all those around me where wondering if the usual pattern of a limp performance following half-time was imminent. But no, Coker messes around with the ball in front of the Blues fans, finally puts in a lovely cross, a neat flick from Atkinson and Wordsworth bundles the ball into the net in between 2 Bradford defenders.

Game on! And what a game it proceeded to be. Southend were on top for the next 15 or 20 minutes as it was us now that were getting forward with more urgency and the midfield were creating space and making some lovely link up play with Cox and Ranger until Bradford began to work themselves back into it and in the last 15 minutes it was end to end stuff at times - either side could have won it but surely Nile Ranger is still in the dressing room looking at the ceiling and wondering how he didn't net the winner at the end.

Well done Southend United - tonight you played like a team that could do well in this division. Play like that each game and more times than not we will be putting 3 points on the board.

Man of the Match: Are you joking? They all did well!

Last edited:
I doubt too many of us saw this point coming. Great result for Phil and the boys. Get your reports and ratings down here.

Yeah, not many, eh?!!! :winking:

OldBlueLady said:
From the PL:

Bradford City v Southend - 1-1........................................3 points

Southend first scorer - Woody........................................2 points

Just got home on the TZ express!

First 30 mins fairly even, perhaps Bradford just shaded it, then that slip from Thompson :nope:. 2nd time he had slipped, got away with the 1st, then we hung on till half time.

2nd half I don't think Oxley had a save to make, we were, and this is without blue tinted beer goggles, the better side, and our mate Trev made some decisions that got the home crowd "boiling" but that was just their frustration at not getting the easy 3pts they expected.

Special mention to Cox, intelligent running into channels and tracking back when needed, having Ranger up top with him seems to have shown us the real players we signed.

Also great support from the few that travelled, long haul midweek but vocal throughout :clap:

well played to everyone who did that distance on a Tuesday night - glad you got your reward.

I believe there were 122, great effort for a Tuesday night but smaller in numbers than usual. Got me thinking. Our average away support is probably somewhere between 250-400. I can remember going to Hartlepool for a 2-1 win (flav saved a last minute penalty) there were 115 of us, last night was probably the smallest we've had for a long long time. But full credit to those who travelled. Expect considerably more on Saturday

I believe there were 122, great effort for a Tuesday night but smaller in numbers than usual. Got me thinking. Our average away support is probably somewhere between 250-400. I can remember going to Hartlepool for a 2-1 win (flav saved a last minute penalty) there were 115 of us, last night was probably the smallest we've had for a long long time. But full credit to those who travelled. Expect considerably more on Saturday
Yes I would have expected slightly more than that...maybe the 3 away games before that (was it 4-0, 4-0 and 3-0?) had a bit of a bearing? Fair play to all the Shrimpers that traveled. Glad we got the point!

Glad to be one of the 122 (it felt like more than that) although can't claim to be one of the hardcore who did the full trip from Essex as I was home by half 10.

Still buzzing after the performance. As Rattus says, it was a hell of a performance. This was very different to the 3-0 win at Bramall Lane, which was 15 minutes of Blades committing defensive suicide followed by 75 minutes of turgid dull football. Last night was 90 minutes of us going toe-to-toe with one of the best teams in the division in their own back yard and matching them all the way, if not exceeding them, for skill, guts and energy. We grew a pair last night.

Really hope this is the turning point of our season. At the very least now we have a benchmark that Brown can use to motivate the players to repeat in future games - "go out and do what you did at Bradford".

A couple of points that came up in conversation last night - are Cox and Ranger forming a beginnings of a great little-and-large partnership up front? Can we do what Barnsley did last year and go from bottom to promotion?

An enjoyable night. Could have been a very enjoyable night if Ranger had buried that header at the end. You won't see a more pinpoint cross all season...

Well, now the dust has settled .............

That Anton is a "big unit" isn't he? Not very mobile but seems to read the game well. I just get a little concerned when he goes up for corners as it takes him the rest of the half to get back into position .................

And I watched that Atkinson for much of the match - you know, pick a player and try to keep an eye on what he is up to. Well, I'm not quite sure what Atkinson does do .......... except he always seemed to be there. In position, guarding the defence, closing down players and even a couple of tricks! If ever you wanted to call a player "steady" surely this is the time. That's not a criticism - it was just what was required and I suspect the fact that Demmy was bombing up the pitch in the 2nd half is an indication of having that type of player on the pitch.

As for Thommo - shame about the slip but otherwise he seemed quite imperious - fabulous headers away at the end of the match when both teams were playing as if it was "next goal wins" (which is would have been ....)

Oxley did well - a couple of good catches, a good punch and save etcetera.

Lenny gave it his all - just what every one expects now.

I think that may have been the best I have seen Wordsworth play.

Cox didn't have his best game but still played a big part in the game and along with Ranger made intelligent moves, passes, won balls and held up play well. Well done Ranger. Well done Cox. Good stuff.

Absolutely gutted to miss last night. Thanks to those who have posted reports.

A big "thank you" to all those reading my match report - when I can't get to games it is match reports from other Shrimperzoners that provide the much needed information ........... I can't make the Milton Keynes game so all reports will be gladly read and received. :thumbsup:

Back