• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

For me we was the better team until they scored. Then it was all Bradford until we scored and then we was the better team again. Shows how the heads are dropping when we go a goal behind.

Met someone in the pub before the game and he says we are on a 48 game streak of not winning when going behind.

Really thought last night was going to end that run! I go to around 10 away games a season and last night was one of the most enjoyable for quite a few years!

McCall's summary ;

"Bantams boss Stuart McCall felt City got what they deserved from Tuesday night's encounter with Southend United after drawing 1-1 with the Shrimpers at the Northern Commercials Stadium.

Reflecting upon the game, McCall was quick to give opponents Southend credit for their hard-working display, stating that they prevented City from finding top form for most of the match.

City did have one purple patch in the game towards the latter stages of the first half when Marc McNulty opened the scoring with his first goal for the club.

McCall's men couldn't find a second goal before the break, however, and Southend went on to equalise in the second period through midfielder Anthony Wordsworth.

Speaking after the match, McCall said: "We are naturally disappointed not to win the game because we always set out to win our home matches, but I think we didn't deserve any more than a point.

"We are disappointed because we've took the lead and not gone on and won, but all credit must go to Southend.

"They are a big, strong, physical side and they played to their strengths tonight.
"We had a little spell in the match - probably 15-20 minutes just before half time - where we got our goal and we had two or three other good chances.

"If we'd scored again then, we could have gone on to win the game.

"On the whole though, they have defended well throughout the match and we've perhaps just lacked that killer pass at the right moment.

"We knew Nile Ranger would be a handful for them but I felt Rory came in and did a good job against him.

"Him and Nat (Knight-Percival) did well against a lot of long balls into our box."

What a performance that was. That was not an ordinary draw: That was a fabulous draw and a pulsating second half in particular.

For the first half Bradford looked like a team doing well - we matched them at times but their passing and movement was slicker and quicker and they were winning all those "50/50" balls that you do when your team is doing well. But we kept our shape, looked disciplined and looked okay for a team that has been so shocking away from home on too many occasions already this season.

When the goal came it was very disappointing. Thommo was well positioned to cut out a ball through to their striker but slipped as he changed direction. Their man was through on goal and scored. A real shame but there was no drop in confidence or "sag" from the team who just got back on with the game.

Out came the Blues for the second half and all those around me where wondering if the usual pattern of a limp performance following half-time was imminent. But no, Coker messes around with the ball in front of the Blues fans, finally puts in a lovely cross, a neat flick from Atkinson and Wordsworth bundles the ball into the net in between 2 Bradford defenders.

Game on! And what a game it proceeded to be. Southend were on top for the next 15 or 20 minutes as it was us now that were getting forward with more urgency and the midfield were creating space and making some lovely link up play with Cox and Ranger until Bradford began to work themselves back into it and in the last 15 minutes it was end to end stuff at times - either side could have won it but surely Nile Ranger is still in the dressing room looking at the ceiling and wondering how he didn't net the winner at the end.

Well done Southend United - tonight you played like a team that could do well in this division. Play like that each game and more times than not we will be putting 3 points on the board.

Man of the Match: Are you joking? They all did well!
Exactly the match I saw........................All good but could so easily have been a win.

Brown has pretty much had the best squad of players at his disposal in the past 3 games and I believe it shows, there's no disputing he sometimes says and does some bizarre things but i think if we can keep the 14 players fit and playing then we have a great chance of finishing mid table .
I'm neither a Brown fan or not but feel we must judge him and the team when he has his best 11 on the pitch and although not being there last night i looked at the team sheet and thought for the first time that we have a strong side out capable of doing a bit .

Make that 123 shrimpers as I was in the home end with my brother-in-law.

I thought it was very good, hardworking display and we dominated much of the game in both halves.

We looked quite solid at the back apart from the unfortunate slip for their goal.

I don't know if it is true, but it seemed that both of our full backs were told not to go bombing foward. I can only recall Coker overlapping once, and that was when we scored. BTW it was incredibly quiet when the ball went in where I was sitting. While this tactic often nullified Bradford's attacks, there were times when the full backs had acres of space to run into and could easily have knocked in a cross unopposed had they pushed up further forward.

I thought everyone had a pretty good game apart from an under par McLaughlin and McGlashen when he came on. It was a shame Ranger missed a sitter just before the end as I thought he had a decent game apart from that.

We must have being doing something right as I estimated around a third of the home fans had left before the final whistle.

C360_2016-10-18-19-48-37-331.jpgC360_2016-10-18-19-48-21-111.jpgC360_2016-10-18-19-48-53-021.jpg

Last edited:
Back