• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
We haven't beaten Bradford City at home on a Saturday for over 50 years when goals from Firmani and Beanland got us off to a winning start on the opening day of the season.

The referee in charge of tomorrow's match is fifth year official, James Adcock a 31 year old PE teacher from Long Eaton in Nottinghamshire. Next season he will be part of the newly formed group of full-time professional referees to referee in the Football League, predominantly in the Championship. This group comprises eighteen of the allegedly best officials although a couple of notable omissions suggest some were unwilling to give up their day job. He is most certainly worthy of his selection.

Chris Phillips in today's Echo tells us that he last refereed Southend for that away match at Morecambe at the end of last season. He didn't; that was Andy Haines. Stick to marathons, Chris (well done by the way!)

This will be his fourth Southend match and all at Roots Hall.

The first one was what we hoped would be the final match of the season 2011/12 against Macclesfield at home. We won and he cautioned Timlin and a couple of theirs.

More recently, he refereed 2012/13's dire 0-0 against York. He did rather well and there were no cards.

Then, a match which will be bettered remembered, our 4-1 Cup win against Millwall the year before last when, again, he did rather well. Three cautions apiece and a red for them (White, Leonard and Atkinson were our yellows).

He refereed the Conference Play Off final a few years ago between AFC Wimbledon and Luton in front of nearly 20,000 supporters. In his first ever League match, a Development (trial) appointment, he sent off three players (2 from Maccs, 1 from Wycombe) in stoppage time.

He is obviously highly rated and is getting loads of Championship appointments and his card count is really low with just 63 yellows and a solitary red from 29 games. His last 7 matches have seen just 5 yellow cards (average among all refs is circa 3 per game)

His assistants are Geoff Russell from Rushden and Stuart Butler from Maidstone. Nick Cooper from Ipswich once again stands by as 4th official.

Last edited:
His assistants are Geoff Russell from Rushden and Stuart Butler from Maidstone. Nick Cooper from Ipswich once again stands by as 4th official.

Nick Cooper may as well book a room at the Roslin as he's performing exactly the same role in East Thurrock's play-off final on Monday. Hardly an energetic weekend for him !

I must apologise for anyone sitting near me as I was particularly vocal in my opinion on his shortcomings, of which there were many, during today's match!!!

I must apologise for anyone sitting near me as I was particularly vocal in my opinion on his shortcomings, of which there were many, during today's match!!!

I heard you in the East stand, you woke up at least 20 senior looking chaps sitting around me.

I heard you in the East stand, you woke up at least 20 senior looking chaps sitting around me.

May well have been the case, I swapped seats with the hubby today as one of his mates came with us so I sat on the aisle seat so he was next to his mate. Meant I was jumping up and down a lot more than normal!

I was disappointed with the ref - he was simply a ball-follower thus missing numerous late hits etc.....

Back