• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

AndyT

Lord of the Reedy River
OK, it's a bit early, but as 'Brett Angle' alluded to it on the 'report and ratings' thread, thought it an opportunity for the discussion to sit on here.

For me, if ever there was a game which we really don't need now it's this one. Tuesday night in Bradford, with players just coming back to fitness.

I doubt PB will change the system or much of the personnel, but I would seriously consider resting Ranger and playing Fortune for this one.

Otherwise, keep the side the same, but bring AB back onto the bench, assuming his omission yesterday wasn't a fitness one.

Innis and Barrett on the bench?? Would suggest if Bradford have a "big unit" up front, stick with Innis, if they have a "troublesome truck", then Barrett to wrestle with him :winking:

ideally no changes, but if anyone is short of fitness for whatever reason then i'd be happy to freshen things up. i don't buy the never change a winning team but Brown has done that in the past.
if no need for changes then great, but i hope he's not afraid to temporarily swap things if necessary

Ranger is a young-un - I suspect that he will be ready to play another 90 minutes on Tuesday and will want all the time on the pitch that he can get after his injury and wasted months before that.

And I wonder if Bradford might be a little confused as to which Southend will turn up? The one that played at Rochdale or the one that their scout watched (I'm guessing about that by the way) yesterday.

I would hope that S.U.F.C. had someone at the Oxford yesterday to watch how Bradford performed ...... mind you they are 2nd in the league and have just lost their first game so I can't see Bradford doing anything other than continuing to play how they have been for the 13 games of the season.

I would love to see Tims on the bench instead of King though.

PB said this in his post match interview:

"Nile Ranger showed a little bit of rustiness, which is to be expected. It was his first 75 minutes at that level and he’s expected to produce that again on Saturday."

A hint that Ranger won't be involved or, at least, won't start on Tuesday? Or just an innocent slip?

Personally, I thought Ranger looked completely knackered before being subbed - understandably - and I would expect him to be on the bench Tuesday.

I'd stick mostly with the same though I'd start Fortune too in place of Ranger and let him be involved but from the bench, if necessary. 4-4-2 though, please, for sure, and don't anyone be upsetting that nice Mr Kettle - sadly the old FB group seems to have been removed!

If Ranger is rested I can't see Cox playing. Tried that doesn't work. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes 4-3-3 with Mooney (or Fortune) and JM starting replacing the front two yesterday. Assuming Ferdinand recovers from his exertions he will start but Barratt back on bench if he tires late on.

If Ranger is rested I can't see Cox playing. Tried that doesn't work. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes 4-3-3 with Mooney (or Fortune) and JM starting replacing the front two yesterday. Assuming Ferdinand recovers from his exertions he will start but Barratt back on bench if he tires late on.

I don't agree with that at all. Cox and Fortune had a 10 minute cameo against Peterborough and looked pretty accomplished. They followed that up with 90 mins against Orient and again the pairing worked.

Bradford away is not what we need right now, possibly our toughest game of this season and anything short of a 'flash flood' in W.Yorks on Tuesday afternoon means it will be backs against the wall time if PB plays 5 at the back, with no real attacking options. Bradford don't concede many, 8 in 13 games, but at the same time are not prolific - i reckon same line up as Saturday, Barrett on the bench, not sure if Ranger will start, he needs to get game time and develop an understanding with Cox. At least we have Fortune, so i'd give 45m each, either to start.

Oxford was their 1st league defeat this season, stoppage time goal, so they may have had their confidence blown a bit? There's always hope.

Any result other than a defeat will be an superb result. Not too hopeful though.

Id be surprised if Ferdinand played Tuesday...given recent hamstring issue. Possibly ranger too.
Innis in for Ferdinand
Fortune in for ranger.
Hope I'm wrong and we are able to stick with a winning team

Ranger is a young-un - I suspect that he will be ready to play another 90 minutes on Tuesday and will want all the time on the pitch that he can get after his injury and wasted months before that.

And I wonder if Bradford might be a little confused as to which Southend will turn up? The one that played at Rochdale or the one that their scout watched (I'm guessing about that by the way) yesterday.

I would hope that S.U.F.C. had someone at the Oxford yesterday to watch how Bradford performed ...... mind you they are 2nd in the league and have just lost their first game so I can't see Bradford doing anything other than continuing to play how they have been for the 13 games of the season.

I would love to see Tims on the bench instead of King though.

I'd rather see me or Jimmy Krankie on the bench rather than King!

Maybe Tuesday is the ideal time to be playing again. The team will be on a high from winning and not conceding, some of our players still have a point to prove to the boss and Ranger will be keen to have another go with Mr Cox. If I am right in all of this then the team that kicked on against Chesterfield is the team that I would send out against Bradford.

So
Oxley

Demetriou Thompson Ferdinand Coker

Atkinson Leonard Wordsworth McCaughlin

Ranger Cox
Same bench as well.

Why would anyone be rested? Anton is 31 not 41! Ranger will be busting a gut to play. Same again.

Because Ranger looked knackered when he came off and isn't 100% fit yet, resting him on Tuesday makes more sense than running the risk of him picking up another injury, Fortune will likely start and Ranger will come on if we're struggling.

Id be surprised if Ferdinand played Tuesday...given recent hamstring issue. Possibly ranger too.
Innis in for Ferdinand
Fortune in for ranger.
Hope I'm wrong and we are able to stick with a winning team

More likely to put Barrett on if Ferdinand isn't up to it.

make you right, but it worries me the lack of pace when facing a team that has an abundance of pace up front......

When it comes to facing pace it's about positioning and experience. Neither Barratt not Ferdinand are going to break any records in a 100 metre race, so if Ferdinand is rested it will be Barratt.

When it comes to facing pace it's about positioning and experience. Neither Barrett not Ferdinand are going to break any records in a 100 metre race, so if Ferdinand is rested it will be Barrett or Inniss.

I think those are the options ............ although knowing Brown it will probably be Soko .............:omg:

Personally I think Thommo plays better without Barrett , controversial I'm sure. I love his passion for the club , but for me , he has been a weak link this season , his pace is an issue and to cover that he plays deep .., with invariably puts us on the back foot. I'm not turning this into an AB bash , just I think for league 1 , it's a bit too much for him.

On yesterday's TV evidence, they like a dive in the penalty box those Bradford players.

Probably best not to play AB.

Back