• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So we're on 59 points and Bradford have managed 2 points more on 61 with a game in hand over us. It would be great if this game took us over the 60 point mark and then we could go on to thump Brizzie at home (4-0 obviously) and finish the season on a high. 6 points from our last two games would hoist up to 65 points, who would have imagined we would be reach of that number towards the end of PB's reign? Yeah, I'm being optimistic, but why not?

So, the team for the Bantoms:

Oxley

Demi White Harry Elvis

McLaughlin Yearwood Mantom Kightly

Coxy Robinson

I'm also going to predict a away victory for Southend. My prediction skills this season have taken me to the depths of league 3 with only 3 posters below me (and they havent predicted this season), so I think you can back my scoreline at the bookies with confidence.

Looking forward to this. Really hope our fans turn up in good numbers. I've always thought that there was something special about going to the last away game.

Looking forward to this. Really hope our fans turn up in good numbers. I've always thought that there was something special about going to the last away game.
Gillingham 29th April 1972 springs to mind .

Anyone got a ticket update of how many we have sold? And what away part we will be in behind the goal or on the side of the pitch? They seem to change it but i think its got to do with how many fans you take

Anyone got a ticket update of how many we have sold? And what away part we will be in behind the goal or on the side of the pitch? They seem to change it but I think its got to do with how many fans you take.

Yes - it has been both in recent years. As you say I would guess it has to do with the expected number of away fans with the club (Bradford) attempting to reduce the number of stewards they employ on the day (or possibly how they deploy them around the ground).

Any particular watering holes around the ground for consideration?

Taking the opportunity to whisk hubby away for a long weekend in Yorkshire, taking in this game on the way. Don't get the chance to do many long aways so really looking forward to this!

Looking forward to this. Really hope our fans turn up in good numbers.

I'm guessing it's not going to be as big as we hoped, considering it's a dead rubber game for both sides concerned. That being said, we do love a fancy dress final away day of the season!

Anyone got a ticket update of how many we have sold?

No social media news about ticket sales from both sides so far, I would imagine it will be around 140 at a good guess.

Added to that, a long old away journey to Oldham during the week and another long trip back up north to Bradford tomorrow, will have probably taken it's toll on some.

Last time we played them away, we took 112 travelling Shrimpers, but that was on a cold Tuesday night in mid October though way back in 2016.

Also, this is probably one of the quietest pre-match threads I can remember in a very long time. So i'm guessing the interest isn't there. (Only about 6 genuine footballing posts within less then 18 hours before kick off).

Anyway, back on topic about team news:

According to the echo, Timlin and Wordsworth have a slim chance of being fit this weekend, and Ferdinand is definitely still out.

Also, in other news, We could climb up to 10th in the table, if we beat Bradford, and Blackpool lose to Shrewsbury (3rd) at home this weekend...(Probable)...Or possibly 9th if the Posh lose to Fleetwood (unlikely)...Mind you. Peterborough seem to have the worst current record in the league (other than the MK Dons).. They have lost 4 straight in a row...So who knows.?

Last edited:
From a Bradford rag ;

SOUTHEND are bowing out the season with a goal rush.
The Shrimpers may be disappointed not to be involved in the frantic race for a play-off spot after a hit-and-miss campaign which saw long-term boss Phil Brown replaced by Chris Powell.
But on the evidence of the last week, they are determined not to go quietly.
The 3-0 win at Oldham on Tuesday made it seven goals without reply against relegation strugglers following on from an equally crushing home success against MK Dons.
So much for a mid-table team with supposedly nothing to play for.
Theo Robinson, their hat-trick hero against the Dons, notched the opener at Boundary Park. Then two from Simon Cox ended a remarkable drought with their first goals in the second half away from home since September.
Powell, who also fitted a run in the London Marathon in between games, admitted that came as a huge weight off his mind.
“I’ve been tossing and turning not only about the blinking marathon but getting rid of that stat about scoring in the second half of an away game so I’m very pleased now,” he said afterwards.
ox came back into the side after being rested last weekend and Powell has suggested he may shake things up again at Valley Parade because of all the travelling.
“I knew with a three-game week that I would have to freshen it up,” he added. “I might have to again at Bradford because a few of them were dead on their feet at the end.”
Since taking the Roots Hall helm in January, the former Huddersfield boss has instigated a major upturn in fortunes.
The Oldham victory was his eighth in 16 games in charge – with only four defeats.
But they have found it tough away from Essex. Tuesday ended a run of six on the road without a win, the previous three without scoring.
Powell admitted: “I wish we could play at home every week to be honest.”

Same team for me except Kightly in for Harrison. Back 4 there is nothing to bring in and god forbid one of those 4 gets an injury! If Timlin is still a doubt, then Yearwood and Mantom in the middle.

I would also stick with the same two up top, they must both be high on confidence, so start them and bring on MAF for the last 30

I will be house hunting in Somerset tomorrow afternoon, so hopefully can get some sort of reception on my phone to follow the scores.

Head to head: Bradford City v Southend United

A STATISTICAL preview of Southend United's clash at Bradford City.

More...

I'd have almost the same team that started at Oldham, but would changed Harrison for Kightly and i'd also switch Oxley for Bishop.

As good as Oxley is by all accounts he isn't going to be here next season. And apart from places the next two games haveb'r got anything riding on them so might as well see what Bishop is all about and see if he is a good enough number two for next season

I'd have almost the same team that started at Oldham, but would changed Harrison for Kightly and i'd also switch Oxley for Bishop.

As good as Oxley is by all accounts he isn't going to be here next season. And apart from places the next two games haveb'r got anything riding on them so might as well see what Bishop is all about and see if he is a good enough number two for next season

I really hope we can keep hold of The Ox and that his leaving is not a foregone conclusion.

Sounded from an earlier report that SCP thinks that there will be a need to make changes but there aren't a lot of alternative options. I'd be delighted if he kept Theo in to build on this wave of confidence that he can, with hope, finish the season off with. Sounds like Coxy will be there too and as ETTB noted, I think MAF is a useful fella to come off the bench.

I've felt previously that playing both McLaughlin and Kightly away from home can be a bit risky as it just takes one of them to have an off day and the midfield is over-run. However, there don't seem to be that many other plausible options so I hope that I'm proved wrong.

And hats off to Elvis - for playing in an unfamiliar LB position and coming through well.

Hope you all have a cracking day out. The last away game of the season does have something special about it.

Back