• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Bradford City vs Southend Utd

What's your starting 11 for Saturday?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
image.php
This Saturday we make the long journey to Yorkshire and the Northern Commercials Stadium to take on Bradford City. Lots of stuff to discuss before this game kicks off, not least what forwards start the game with Theo being available again. Will we add to the squad this week, who can say, apart from SCP & RM.

I've gone for Theo to start over Charlie Kelman. I think expecting Kelman to delivery the goods at Bradford is a big ask and too early in his development. I would expect him to get some time on the pitch though.

Im going with :-

Bishop

Elvis - Dieng - White - Hendrie

Dru - Mantom

Kightly Cox. Hutchinson

Robinson

I suggested playing Dieng at the back weeks ago. He doesn’t do enough for me in midfield. He doesn’t take the ankle under pressure which doesn’t help anyone either starting attacks or being on the end of them! From the back he’ll get more time on the ball to pass it into midfield.

White keeps his place through no other option but he has to stop the mindless booting it upfield when under no real pressure. Elvis and Hendrie also keep their places although I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the first signing this week is a left back in which case he’ll go straight into the side.

Dru and Sam will aIt and take the balk off the back four. This idea that Dru can play further forward is a mystery to me. Anyone with his goal scoring record isn’t suited to playing higher up the pitch. His attributes are covering ground defensively and driving forward with the game in front of him from deeper. I see him very much in the Kante mould rather than more attacking.

My front 4 picks itself. Kightly is a mystery but lack of options means he plays one side. Hutchinson continues down the other and I’m not going for the ignorant rethoric that he’s not ready. Not ready and not playing well are two different things altogether and despite the result driven perception of his performance Saturday,he’s done enough to show that he can contribute, what we have to accept is at 18 he will make poor decisions and will lose physical battles in certain areas ie when it’s pumped up long to him!

Cox will play the position he’s meant to play. In the hole working off Theo, getting on the ball, linking play, feeding our wide players to their feet and arriving in the box later!!

Theo is the only player we have that can run in behind and stretch the game. Don’t ask him to show feet. The other three attackers can do that. He should be running off shoulders the second a midfield player picks the ball up unopposed...giving players more space an out ball and another option.

Half our problem Saturday was no space because PA were able to defend so high and press the ball knowing that there was absolutely no threat in behind. It’s all Lapodo did. Run into spaces and scare the life out of people and we sat so deep the midfield had no chance of ever getting up the pitch to support Cox or gain any territorial advantage.

Watch out later for my thoughts on Saturday. Unlike most I’ve watched the entire game again and will watch it for a third time later and make some notes!!!

Kelman to start for me.

4-4-2 with two wide players.

Can always change it after 60 minutes.

.........................oxley
...........white Moore Turner
.......Mantom ............ Hyam
elvis ........................................hart
.........................Cox
Robinson ...........................Dieng

Should anyone be interested Looton are 0-1 down in the Cup...which means, currently, our league match will go ahead on 26/01...

back to the thread topic now....:Whistling:

ALERT!!!!

Now that Sam Ward has signed, I have added him to the poll and amended ‘new defender’ to ‘new striker’.

Please note that you can all change your choices by selecting ‘change vote’ if you wish

Here’s mine...

Bishop
Elvis White Hendrie (or Moore if fit) Hart
McLaughlin Dru Mantom Kightly
Cox Kelman

CP; Please, please, please let it be Kelman who starts and not Theo.

Last edited:
Bradford City have extended Jack Payne's loan from Huddersfield until the end of the season, so he will probably play against the Shrimpers.

Link
https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co...-payne-and-obrien-staying-with-bradford-city/
Not good news for us, unlike the one they started the season with it sounds like Bradford's current manager knows how to get the best out of Payne and he's been one of their best players so far.

I can't see anything other than a loss with the current options we have, Bradford have suddenly come alive and in their last 4 home games they've scored 11 goals and conceded zero. Unless Kelman really is the miracle solution to our problems I can't see us troubling a side in that sort of form.

Not good news for us, unlike the one they started the season with it sounds like Bradford's current manager knows how to get the best out of Payne and he's been one of their best players so far.

I can't see anything other than a loss with the current options we have, Bradford have suddenly come alive and in their last 4 home games they've scored 11 goals and conceded zero. Unless Kelman really is the miracle solution to our problems I can't see us troubling a side in that sort of form.
It's a weird thing, but you just never know with Southend. when most expect us to get a thumping they might just go and surprise us. Only time will tell.

Back