• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

the man shows again more and more stupidity and towing martins line. trying to blame a recession for falling attendances is quite simply moronic. his new bosom buddy martin, is to blame full stop for not giving tilson the tools of his trade, and sweeping the carpet under his feet, by selling barnard and not paying the players. dont try and blame other factors, for a cack season. and again barnet is a local derby we always were going take over 1,000 if you start making comparisons to pompeys support your making yourself a tool. and did we take 400 to cheltenham, brady matey you have been on the magic mushrooms. the incidents that you refer on and off the pitch all attributed to one man - martin

so shut it

the man shows again more and more stupidity and towing martins line. trying to blame a recession for falling attendances is quite simply moronic. his new bosom buddy martin, is to blame full stop for not giving tilson the tools of his trade, and sweeping the carpet under his feet, by selling barnard and not paying the players. dont try and blame other factors, for a cack season. and again barnet is a local derby we always were going take over 1,000 if you start making comparisons to pompeys support your making yourself a tool. and did we take 400 to cheltenham, brady matey you have been on the magic mushrooms. the incidents that you refer on and off the pitch all attributed to one man - martin

so shut it

Please do so....

The big question though is will TB be coming to the SZBC sesh on March 17th - or will he be lashing it up on a bona fide St. Paddy's night gig somewhere else?

so shut it

In the interests of balance, so that not everyone slags you off...

The highlighted bit is a fair point. Somehow even in a recession fans will find the money and time to watch their football team IF THEY ARE WINNING AND SUCCESSFUL. That is something we have not been for the last couple of years and is by far the biiggest factor in attendances generally.

so shut it

are you for real??? granted its not the only reason for falling attendances but I'm sure there are those who can no longer afford to spend their hard earned cash on a football game when they're about to / have been laid off.

From a personal point of view the effects of the recession (among other things) has stopped me being able to go to games for the last few months.

But blaming falling attendances solely on the recession is wrong.

Last edited:
Tilson was fairly well supported, for the small club we are too be fair, I reckon during the upward spiral, any player in reason that he asked for he was allowed to go for. When Tilson needed the "tools" as you mention, we didnt have enough cash to spend on wages, let alone new players coming in........ so giving Tilson more money from the overdraft, could have ended up even worse, if we still went down. New players do not gurantee you staying up ...

& no this is not a I support Martin and Brady post, just trying to balance out your post Birdseye. But I do understand, sort of, where you are coming from.

Historically he is partly correct.

Since SUFC have been at RH there have officially been 3 recessions 1978 1981 and 1992

The average league attendences were

77-78 6878 78-79 6352 down in a recession despite winning promotion in 77-78

80-81 5845 81-82 4902 down in a recession despite going up as champions in 80-81

91-92 6729 92-93 5365 down in a recession despite our highest ever league position being acheived in 91-92

Since SUFC have been at RH there have officially been 3 recessions 1978 1981 and 1992

80-81 5845 81-82 4902 down in a recession despite going up as champions in 80-81

91-92 6729 92-93 5365 down in a recession despite our highest ever league position being acheived in 91-92

So the substance of the original post is a bit ropey in places but you have to say the author's fishfingers are second to none. I for one forgive him.

what Tara Brady said about falling attendances was actually, "There are a number of factors,” he said. “There's the negativity of the past few seasons and it's disappointing that people are staying away because of the owner.
“There's the fact we got relegated and also that there's a recession on which I think has hit Southend more than most".

Are you saying Tara is correct? Because those figures show the attendances down in the season AFTER we were most successful. It would only have proved his point if we had been the most succesful during the recession year itself, not the season before.

what Tara Brady said about falling attendances was actually, "There are a number of factors,” he said. “There's the negativity of the past few seasons and it's disappointing that people are staying away because of the owner.
“There's the fact we got relegated and also that there's a recession on which I think has hit Southend more than most".

Seems a fair enough analysis.

The economy is a contributing factor but were we playing good football in a higher division under Steve Tilson we'd be getting higher gates than we are.

The Captain being economical with the truth. Never

Are you saying Tara is correct? Because those figures show the attendances down in the season AFTER we were most successful. It would only have proved his point if we had been the most succesful during the recession year itself, not the season before.

I see your point, however I would expect gates to increase if we were playing at a higher level.

I could see the slide down the table from the heady heights on Jan 1st 92 contributing to people staying away , but considering 92-93 season was Stans season I would also have expected gates to have picked up a bit towards the end of that season. *
Mind you for our 1st season in the 2nd teir and being top on new years day, an average of 6729 is pretty poor to start with

EDIT * Which they did , the lowest home gate that season was 3219 which was Collymores first game (and coincided with a boycott)

Last edited:
I see your point, however I would expect gates to increase if we were playing at a higher level.

I could see the slide down the table from the heady heights on Jan 1st 92 contributing to people staying away , but considering 92-93 season was Stans season I would also have expected gates to have picked up a bit towards the end of that season. *
Mind you for our 1st season in the 2nd teir and being top on new years day, an average of 6729 is pretty poor to start with

EDIT * Which they did , the lowest home gate that season was 3219 which was Collymores first game (and coincided with a boycott)

And me being stupid I stayed away IIRC Jobson out protests and sale of the then hero Ian Benjamin. Collymore what a silly name I thought what will he ever do I thought! Also missed Eastwoods first game but think that was just other things (chores probably) keeping me away. Anyway I for one am pleased at TB trying to re-establish contact with supporters and with two echo articles and a phone in thats not bad going in his first few months.

Some of course wont believe anything they hear from Roots Hall and you can sort of understand their thinking but even if only 50% is true we are still more in the picture than before. Mind you for the most up to date news/gossip shrimperzone is miles ahead and most of the time I get stuff on here ages before anywhere else and its more fun.

I think Tara Brady has got it about right in the short time he has been here. There have been problems on and off the pitch for the last few seasons and he is saying that the blame is shared from top down. Yes Ron Martin should have paid the tax man and the players somehow, but in our "glory years" he backed Steve Tilson and according to Martin we paid higher wages than a club like ours could realistically support. He did this in the belief that the new ground would be built well before the downward spiral began and unless he is secretly the Chairman of a bank that lent money to people who couldn't possibly pay it back and thus began the financial crisis then this is not his fault.

Brady says the fault is at all levels: Steve Tilson made mistakes in signings and pattens of play - all managers do its an occupational hazard. Many of the players gave up after Christmas last year whearas the players in clubs in silmilar positions to ours appeared to fight to the end. And even though fewer people watch the Blues we could all make more noise and be more supportive of the team throughout the match - as has been the case in the last half dozen matches.

I enjoy away games - there is more support for the team - but Mr Brady must have been lucky: I have been to away games where things have not gone well and some of our "supporters" have hurled abuse at our own players.

Fighting amongst ourselves doesn't help. Yes it relieves the frustrations and anger for a while and I hate playing in this division as much as anyone, but I have been a Blues fan for most of my life and I have watched them at Roots Hall since 1966 and there were many times when things were much worse than they are now. I shall carry on supporting them and if things don't always go the way i would like - well that's life. We can't all be a winner but if we stick together - and I don't mean blind adoration of Ron Martin or anyone else [constructive criticism will always be heard eventually] then perhaps there is a better chance that things will get better.

Wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him and neither should any of us.

He's here to strip us down to the bare bones, nothing else.

Back