• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Maldon Shrimper

First XI⭐
If anyone is going to this game best you arrive early as parking could be an issue. Apparently a group of gypsies have parked up in Braintree's overflow carpark as well as parking on the near by tennis club.

If anyone is going to this game best you arrive early as parking could be an issue. Apparently a group of gypsies have parked up in Braintree's overflow carpark as well as parking on the near by tennis club.
Heard about this from a friend today.Sounds a real pain for Braintree

I live on Cressing Road (this isn't an invitation to park at my house btw), and parking really shouldn't be too much of an issue. Avoid the ground itself, as the travellers have pitched up on the tennis club right next door to the football club. There are a couple of options - there is on street parking right along Cressing Road, and on many of the side streets, which also have several cut through's you can walk through to get to the ground. There is a playing field, St George's, which has a small car park, and even if they put parking restrictions in place for away fans, which they do now and then, head down Beckers Green Road to the rugby club and it is less than a 10 minute walk through the housing estate to get back to the ground.

for me, it is around 10 minutes to walk down there, just not sure if I am going yet!

Forgot to add, the biggest issue is the Galleys Corner (McDonalds) roundabout, which gets horribly snarled up on a daily basis, at morning and evening rush hours and on a bad day the chaos extends through the main roads in town as people try to avoid the bypass. Would recommend giving yourself plenty of time to get through it, as it can take up to 25 minutes from the A131 (from Chelmsford) and slightly less from Witham (b1018). It is as bad as the 127!!

Ironic, that was one of the reasons I moved up here and it's far worse here than Westcliff used to be...

Braintree or Braintree Freeport are both about a mile away so roughly 20 mins on foot.

Better pubs near Braintree station. There's an excellent boozer very close to the station - the Waggon and Horses (beer garden, 8 handpumps) - or alternatively the Picture Palace, it's a Spoons in an old cinema.

And don't leave stuff on show in your cars either:sad:

The orange tree is the closest, not necessarily the best though!

Fowlers farm is probably the nicest, about 20 mins walk, or the brewers fayre, both on the galleys corner roundabout.

Braintree or Braintree Freeport are both about a mile away so roughly 20 mins on foot.
Trains to braintree are interesting, single branch line, one train an hour, and often get cancelled at the last minute with very little I the way of rail replacement. Probably ok getting there, wouldn't be so confident about getting home again! The premier Inn is 20 min walk from the ground!

The orange tree is the closest, not necessarily the best though!

Fowlers farm is probably the nicest, about 20 mins walk, or the brewers fayre, both on the galleys corner roundabout.

Brewers Fayre? For heaven's sake. I was talking about real pubs.

I was just referring to the sale of alcohol in a bar, as we are a bit short of proper pubs round here!! Just depends if you want pub-chain alcohol or a decent beer - although I can't guarantee you would find one! Unfortunately, Braintree itself is a bit of a cultural wasteland, and it could be worse, at least there are some decent places in the villages near here. Thankfully, as a Southend fan I do get to escape occasionally...

Does anyone know if this is a 'full squad' friendly or another under 21 turnout? My understanding was U21/development again but there was a post on the Wakering thread suggesting full representation.

Last edited:
Can't see the U21's playing two games in 3 days. I reckon they'll be a few first team squad players, trialists etc. I would have thought he'll pick his strongest X1 against the spammers, though.

I was just referring to the sale of alcohol in a bar, as we are a bit short of proper pubs round here!! Just depends if you want pub-chain alcohol or a decent beer - although I can't guarantee you would find one! Unfortunately, Braintree itself is a bit of a cultural wasteland, and it could be worse, at least there are some decent places in the villages near here. Thankfully, as a Southend fan I do get to escape occasionally...
I used to work in Braintree. There's a couple of places in the town to definitely avoid but it's not too much of a wasteland. As I said, the Waggon and Horses and Spoons will be the best bet if you are hunting down good beer. But the pub next to the ground will do for most. If memory serves me right the clubhouse isn't up to that much.

Brown said that it will be the first team with two sides. One getting 60 mins tonight and 30 mins tomorrow and vice versa against the hammers. Also hoping for both noel hunt and Craig mckail Smith to play but is yet to confirm.

I used to work in Braintree. There's a couple of places in the town to definitely avoid but it's not too much of a wasteland. As I said, the Waggon and Horses and Spoons will be the best bet if you are hunting down good beer. But the pub next to the ground will do for most. If memory serves me right the clubhouse isn't up to that much.

You'll get better beer in the clubhouse than that orange monstrosity over the road !

Fair enough, my memory might be failing me. Too many in the Waggon and Horses last time out...

When I said the Orange Tree will do for most, I meant the majority of people who will happily drink Carlsberg/Fosters/Stella/*insert other name of rancid mass-produced *****

Back