• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
Passing through Heathrow the other day, I saw a lot of adverts for that airline XL. First thought was - "That's the mob who sponsor those tossers West Ham"

That then got me thinking - would I avoid putting business their way because of that? I'd certainly not be inclined to go to their website, but I'd probably fly with them if it was the best deal for where I was going.

Do any SZers boycott products because of their association with a team of individual? Do people reject Tiptree Jam because of their Col Ewe links? Is that smug Henry/Federer/Woods advert enough to turn you off Gillette? Does GlasgowSUFC refuse to use Fisons products on his lawn after they sponsored Ipswich in the 80s and 90s?

I opted against signing up with Vodafone on account of their (former) association with Manure. Petty, I know.

Strange you should mention brand disloyalty. There was a big thread on F365 about Liverpool fans boycotting Carlsberg.

Basically, The Sun newspaper is giving all readers a free pint of (wait for it) Carlsberg over the bank holiday weekend.

We all know about the grievance many Liverpool fans have with the Sun and a core element are incensed that the shirt sponsor has got into bed with that 'Newspaper' and are trying to get fans to boycot the beer.

I try and avoid aving Pepsi in the house as opposed to the real thing, due to the association with Pepsi and the Argies in the Falklands war.

Ah I forgot to mention in my previous thread my brand disloyalty is with 'Starbucks'.

Allegedly whilst 9/11 was happening and the New York Fire Department were trying to quell the fires in the twin towers Starbucks attempted to charge the New York fire department bottled water for the fire fighters.

Whilst I appreciate this may be an urban myth it gives me enough fuel not to spend £5 on a mocha choca skinny latte frappacino coffee.

Ah I forgot to mention in my previous thread my brand disloyalty is with 'Starbucks'.

Allegedly whilst 9/11 was happening and the New York Fire Department were trying to quell the fires in the twin towers Starbucks attempted to charge the New York fire department bottled water for the fire fighters.

Whilst I appreciate this may be an urban myth it gives me enough fuel not to spend £5 on a mocha choca skinny latte frappacino coffee.

Apparently true - Greedy Barsteward.

We also boycott Starbucks, but not for any really good reason like that - the wife had a distressing dream once about an incident in Starbucks involving a straightened croissant - I've never quite got to the bottom of it, but the place makes her feel creeped out so we never go there...

Apparently true - Greedy Barsteward.

We also boycott Starbucks, but not for any really good reason like that - the wife had a distressing dream once about an incident in Starbucks involving a straightened croissant - I've never quite got to the bottom of it, but the place makes her feel creeped out so we never go there...

There's another very good reason to boycott Starbucks. It's because the coffee is horrible. Go somewhere else where the coffee actually tastes good.

There's another very good reason to boycott Starbucks. It's because the coffee is horrible. Go somewhere else where the coffee actually tastes good.

Always preferred Costa Coffee myself anyway. That's an extra reason for not going in Starbucks now.

Always preferred Costa Coffee myself anyway. That's an extra reason for not going in Starbucks now.

Prefer a nice Jamaican Blue Mountain in Squires myself, but the options for doing that are somewhat limited outside of Rayleigh...

The Civet coffee (available online from Edible.com) is also exquisite...

Prefer a nice Jamaican Blue Mountain in Squires myself, but the options for doing that are somewhat limited outside of Rayleigh...

The Civet coffee (available online from Edible.com) is also exquisite...

Crossing over to the Southend memories thread - Bring Back Planters!

Or alternatively, let's have a branch of Betty's open up somewhere down here!

I'm totally petty in things like this .. our new local Draper Tools rep is a Col Ewe fan, so no more Draper Tools will be bought for the foreseeable future :)

I am boycotting Aston Martin because 'green spokesman' Prince Charles drives one (when he isn't being flown around) and I think he is a ***t.

Last edited:
Passing through Heathrow the other day, I saw a lot of adverts for that airline XL. First thought was - "That's the mob who sponsor those tossers West Ham"

That then got me thinking - would I avoid putting business their way because of that? I'd certainly not be inclined to go to their website, but I'd probably fly with them if it was the best deal for where I was going.

Do any SZers boycott products because of their association with a team of individual? Do people reject Tiptree Jam because of their Col Ewe links? Is that smug Henry/Federer/Woods advert enough to turn you off Gillette? Does GlasgowSUFC refuse to use Fisons products on his lawn after they sponsored Ipswich in the 80s and 90s?

when me and the missus went away we flew with XL, i knew I'd heard of the company somewhere and when we were queueing to check-in there it was, a Spammer in his XL-sponsored shirt.

I do, i would'nt get a vodafone for the reasons touched on earlier, i won't buy or even allow a mirror newspaper in the house and i try and avoid red whenever possible. Mad eh??

I dislike shops/franchise/pubs etc that deliberately mispell words because they think they are being funny or clever.

The Haystack on Canvey made a big then about their menu and their huge "plaits" of tasty pub grub. Now I am not averse to hair but chomping my round a load of chips to reach it has never been on my agenda.

Last edited:
I dislike shops/franchise/pubs etc that deliberately mispell words because they think they are being funny or clever.

The Haystack on Canvey made a big then about their menu and there huge "plaits" of tasty pub grub. Now I am not averse to hair but chomping my round a load of chips to reach it has never been on my agenda.

Could be a recurring theme on Canvey. I remember many years ago seeing a flyer for a foam party at Kings that promised you'd be 'up to your waste in foam' - so presumably that's somewhere around the top of the legs then?

Could be a recurring theme on Canvey. I remember many years ago seeing a flyer for a foam party at Kings that promised you'd be 'up to your waste in foam' - so presumably that's somewhere around the top of the legs then?

Quite possibly.

When the Monico opened a 'fine dining' restaurant the word 'Restaurant' wes incorrectly spelled on their website.

You are almost certainly right, there is shop near the Haystack that sells sheets, bedding etc. It also sells things like ribbon & lace which they sell according to their sign by the meter.

Back