• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brandon Goodship signs

If I remember correctly Dean Austin and Mark Bentley were from non-league too. Welcome to Roots Hall Brandon.

Last edited:
Let’s hope our ambition isn’t based on replacing by far our best player with someone from the Southern League- that would completely take the gloss of what is I think a promising signing.

I suspect however you are on a wind up :-)

No not on a wind up. Yes Theo would be the most likely to go but there are reasons why Cox may go, including his own personal reasons.

KB obviously doesn't have much room with the budget and we could get a fee for Cox this summer. That fee and his wage would allow 2 first team standard signings. We could even sell Cox and Theo.

Humphrys was signed as an extra due to the injury crisis. So we already have 3 target type forwards, even though they have different styles. With HM Goodship now on the books it might start to look a little crowded in that department.

Now to the main talking point....Did Cox actually do a lot under KB. Yes POTY and all that but what about the last 6 games?

Plus I have always thought Cox looks like a difficult player to manage. Whilst many on here would make him captain I have my serious doubts. I get the distinct impression he likes to be the star on the pitch and that doesn't help the other forwards.

No not on a wind up. Yes Theo would be the most likely to go but there are reasons why Cox may go, including his own personal reasons.

KB obviously doesn't have much room with the budget and we could get a fee for Cox this summer. That fee and his wage would allow 2 first team standard signings. We could even sell Cox and Theo.

Humphrys was signed as an extra due to the injury crisis. So we already have 3 target type forwards, even though they have different styles. With HM Goodship now on the books it might start to look a little crowded in that department.

Now to the main talking point....Did Cox actually do a lot under KB. Yes POTY and all that but what about the last 6 games?

Plus I have always thought Cox looks like a difficult player to manage. Whilst many on here would make him captain I have my serious doubts. I get the distinct impression he likes to be the star on the pitch and that doesn't help the other forwards.

I'm sure I have recently read an interview Bond did where he said he likes to have characters that challenge him and not just have 'yes men'.

If true, how you have described Cox seems to fit perfectly with what Bond likes. We really need characters like Cox who can grab a game by the scruff of the neck, without him we would have been down and out well before the last 6 games of the season.

Anyway, back to Brandon Goodship. (great name) I have seen a few posts on Twitter and Facebook that suggest he works better with a player who can hold the ball up alongside him, in which case seems the perfect fit for us as we have two players in Hopper and Humphrys who are very good at that. Hopefully it works out for him.

I think what we saw in the last 6 matches was a bit of a stepping up from others, making Cox's performances less "stand out".

I couldn't fault the guy for effort. He's happy down here. Totally get what you're saying - but I'm not sure how much we would get for him at his age and with just a year left on his contract (the wages saving would be good, I agree) and we'd effectively be replacing our POTY and an ex-International with a promising ex Bournemouth and Yeovil youth player who it didn't quite work out for but who has had a couple of monster seasons a few levels lower in the pyramid.

Now if we could get Kightly off the wage bill...

If he is going to represent SUFC he will need better shoes.

These look like something an apprentice estate agent would wear to a Love Island audition.

Yeah must be really difficult to manage a player who, while all around him were injured or cracking under the pressure, turned up and consistently put in a shift in, banged in goals and assists - he literally (and for once it’s being used in its correct term(ok maybe not)) kept us up by himself.
Also I think when available both hopper and Humphrys played rather well with him

We probably need four front line strikers plus a couple of youngsters coming through,

One of the problems we had last season was due to the injuries there wasn't any options on the bench. If we start with say Humphrys and Cox, with Goodship (such a great name) and a fit Hopper on the bench, that will give KB options.

Unfortunately I do think this means the end of Robinson but I doubt he'll be let go without a fee being paid.

Thank God you are not in charge. We would be significantly weaker without Cox. We would of almost certainly gone down.

It all opinions of course. But his work rate is exceptional (for the team), his number of assists very good indeed (for the team) and he is not only consistent but plays virtually every game (not made of glass like many of the squad). He is a winner for sure- so probably does not appreciate slackers, the I hurt my eyelash and can't play brigade etc. and has high standards that he no doubt expects others to have.

To swap him for two standard signings would be a display of lack of ambition on a biblical scale making a complete mockery of RM's "you will get what you want" statement.

Of course if he was clear he wanted out for personal reasons that would be difficult and these days players normally get a move if they really want one. I for one hope he is here next year as i think the chances of us getting a fit, quality replacement who will deliver the same level of goals, assists, appearances and workrate is vanishingly small... regrettably.

Last edited:
Thank God you are not in charge. We would be significantly weaker without Cox. We would of almost certainly gone down.

I'm not talking about last season. Yes there's lots to like about Cox but as for this season I don't think his departure would make us 'significantly' weaker.

With no LB's, Moore or Turner and White not yet signed. Then budget comes into it.

We scored enough goals last season. We even scored 2 or more in several home games but still didn't win.

A reasonable defence puts you mid-table.
A really good defence gets you promoted.

I have to agree with Rigsby re Cox. While his goal record is just about respectable at this level, although nothing to write home about, he only contributed 5 assists last season which is poor. His tendency to drop deep does not help the midfield looking for a more positive option, leading to a lot of sideways passing. It also meant that the central striker, when we were able to play one of Hopper or Humphrys was often isolated and left to feed off scraps. His constant haranguing of officials achieves nothing and may well have adverse effects on their decision making, nine yellow cards and a red last season is not good, most of those bookings could have been avoided with a lip zipped. I believe we would play better as a team without his contribution, it is not good to be so reliant on one player, especially if he is not quite as good as some think he is.

Back