• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brandon Goodship signs

Cox is our best player by some margin yet some of you want to see the back of him. You really couldn't make it up. :ROFL:

I hope Goodship makes the grade obviously and bangs them in left, right & centre but he's untested at this level. It's a gamble signing someone from non-league - not every player at that level is Jamie Vardy.

At the beginning of last season I was fairly sure Cox was beyond his best and felt he was not the answer we needed. Thankfully he managed to make me look a complete ****er and continually put in committed performances.

He was made to look less than his best by being played up top on his own, due to injuries, and that is not a role that suits him. If he were to move on, because he decided to, then I would wish him all the best. However, if he were to stay, I think he would relish the opportunity to play in the best forward line we have had at the club in years and he would make it all the better.

I don’t think @rigsby was suggesting for a second that he wanted Cox to leave.

He was simply pointing out that it’s a possibility and it’s maybe more of a possibility than people might imagine.

I said some time ago that if the club were offered a fee you may find they are very tempted to accept it and like has been pointed out already, if Cox wanted for some reason to leave (personal or professional) it would be nigh on impossible to prevent it happening.

All I’d say is if all the cogs align it wouldn’t necessarily be the end of the world. He is 32/33 and sometimes losing one player allows a group to step up and become stronger overall.....think Andy Cole and Newcastle...

I agree that SC leaving is a real possibility, as I've said before he's recently split from his long terrm partner and has no ties to this part of the world. I sincerely hope he doesn't and finishes his playing career at Southend.

how long before this new player gets the usual Roots Hall slagging for not scoring 20 goals in his first 3 matches

glad to have him on board and wish him well

How has this happened as we are
1. Not Peterborough
2. KB is on holiday
3. Cox hasn't left yet so we don't need a forward or have the budget.

BTW Cox may have only had 5 official assists last season, however probably double that were goals scored where it was his good bit of play that created the opening, and his pass that created the space for another player to get the assist.

Assist stats are stupid. I could tap the ball back 6 inches from a free kick for someone to smack into the top corner from 30 yards, and that would count as an assist.

We probably need four front line strikers plus a couple of youngsters coming through,

One of the problems we had last season was due to the injuries there wasn't any options on the bench. If we start with say Humphrys and Cox, with Goodship (such a great name) and a fit Hopper on the bench, that will give KB options.

Unfortunately I do think this means the end of Robinson but I doubt he'll be let go without a fee being paid.

Id pay ANY club to take Robinson!

I'm not talking about last season. Yes there's lots to like about Cox but as for this season I don't think his departure would make us 'significantly' weaker.

With no LB's, Moore or Turner and White not yet signed. Then budget comes into it.

We scored enough goals last season. We even scored 2 or more in several home games but still didn't win.

A reasonable defence puts you mid-table.
A really good defence gets you promoted.

Fair enough that's your opinion.

I totally agree improving defence is a priority but we shouldn't be letting our best player last season go to do that.

It's well known it is a lot harder to find a top forward than it is a defender. That's why they tend to earn the most on average.

How has this happened as we are
1. Not Peterborough
2. KB is on holiday
3. Cox hasn't left yet so we don't need a forward or have the budget.

BTW Cox may have only had 5 official assists last season, however probably double that were goals scored where it was his good bit of play that created the opening, and his pass that created the space for another player to get the assist.

Assist stats are stupid. I could tap the ball back 6 inches from a free kick for someone to smack into the top corner from 30 yards, and that would count as an assist.

exactly :

shame we dont get any kind of "chances created" type stats at this level

I didn't for a moment think Coxy would be off, and still dont, but normally there is no smoke without fire and worryingly I suppose if you are all sure there is nothing to keep him here, then maybe some are right?

mentioned on telly that its down to the chairman now to offer him something more to stay longer, (did Ron say 'Sorry Simon you are under contract for another season on these terms'

Simon then says 'Sorry Ron I have worked my absolute nuts off this year, and for a third season I am highest scorer , please accept my transfer request,

Simon is his own agent who then starts the process of touting himself, Harris and Barrett thing he would be exactly what they need to hold the ball up around there current forward line, gotta be worth £200k of championship money for a 2 year contract (this is all fabrication)

mentioned on telly that its down to the chairman now to offer him something more to stay longer, (did Ron say 'Sorry Simon you are under contract for another season on these terms'

Simon then says 'Sorry Ron I have worked my absolute nuts off this year, and for a third season I am highest scorer , please accept my transfer request,

Simon is his own agent who then starts the process of touting himself, Harris and Barrett thing he would be exactly what they need to hold the ball up around there current forward line, gotta be worth £200k of championship money for a 2 year contract (this is all fabrication)

Which is exactly what Ron should be saying. None of the players with their feet up on Ben Clarksons table ever say. "Sorry Ron, I know its no ones fault but could you cut my pay as You wont see much of me till next summer.

More likely to be Bristol or Oxford than Millwall. Or he could spoil Theo's plans and opt for Swindon.

I didn't for a moment think Coxy would be off, and still dont, but normally there is no smoke without fire and worryingly I suppose if you are all sure there is nothing to keep him here, then maybe some are right?

There is no smoke- its just idle speculation on here because there is nothing else worthwhile to talk about..

If a club takes up an option it is on their terms not the players. Typically it’s on the exact same terms as the previous season (unless stated otherwise in the contract) and if the player refuses these terms he is considered under contract but transfer listed at his request....meaning he foregoes any signing on bonuses he was due under the terms.

Simon signed his contract extension but who knows if this was because he was 100% happy to stay or whether he did it because he had little option and it made no real odds as to whether a fee was due or not anyway.....

The year options are really are only to the benefit of the club . They are rarely not taken up unless they feel that no one will ever pay a fee and the player isn’t of any use to them...then they save wages by letting go without taking up the option.....

Personally I think Cox signed because he wanted to stay. He would know he’s well liked by fans / players / chairman / manager and will generally command a regular start which at some other clubs may not be the case.....

Nice to see us taking a punt on a young striker who has been prolific at non-league level.

In terms of tempering my expectations, it's always worth remembering that for every Freddy Eastwood we unearth, we have had to endure the Barrington Belgraves, Mark Salters, Charlie McDonalds, Mark Rawles, Tes Brambles etc of this world.

Nice to see us taking a punt on a young striker who has been prolific at non-league level.

In terms of tempering my expectations, it's always worth remembering that for every Freddy Eastwood we unearth, we have had to endure the Barrington Belgraves, Mark Salters, Charlie McDonalds, Mark Rawles, Tes Brambles etc of this world.

Bit harsh to include Charlie McDonald and Mark Rawle in that list, they both had OK careers after leaving us.

Many a frog to be kissed... cue jokes on our failed french players.....

Back