• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brandon Goodship signs

Nice to see us taking a punt on a young striker who has been prolific at non-league level.

In terms of tempering my expectations, it's always worth remembering that for every Freddy Eastwood we unearth, we have had to endure the Barrington Belgraves, Mark Salters, Charlie McDonalds, Mark Rawles, Tes Brambles etc of this world.

I would argue Tes was a level above the likes of Rawle and Belgrave.

Rhys and Rebecca are on annual vacation ATM , but I am assured by their stand in we have him as our second shirt sponsor.

There was that guy we got who was with Newport?? in the non-league and got an absolute hatful- came to us but was well of the pace, not fit enough/probably carrying a bit too much timber? He had a similar NL scoring record..

I think the references KB got from Bournemouth before his injury & departure would have carried a lot of weight regarding if he has the ability at our level. Regarding the injury to full seasons with a lot of games and no significant injuries will have been the best answer to that.

I would find it difficult to disagree with much that you have said but I would suggest the question is how likely is SC to continue his excellent run of form in the 2019-20 season. He is at the age where his career trajectory may well be heading downwards, and, good as he was last season, there can do no guarantee that he can continue in this vein. Selling him now would be a calculated gamble but one which could just pay off.
In recent years we have seen players in their thirties have a good season, and, then find their form suddenly fall off a cliff the following season (Ferdinand, Turner Kightly anyone?). I think Cox has reached a dangerous age and that his stock is unlikely to rise in the future. If buy low and sell high is what we should be looking to do it would be my contention that Cox is unlikely to be ever worth more in the future than he is now.
Of course it could backfire dramatically but nothing venture nothing gained!
I also believe that Hutchinson's best position would be in a Simon Cox type role and that the latter's departure might well help the former's development.

Last edited:
I would find it difficult to disagree with much that you have said but I would suggest the question is how likely is SC to continue his excellent run of form in the 2019-20 season. He is at the age where his career trajectory may well be heading downwards, and, good as he was last season, there can do no guarantee that he can continue in this vein. Selling him now would be a calculated gamble but one which could just pay off.
In recent years we have seen players in their thirties have a good season, and, then find their form suddenly fall off the cliff in the following season (Ferdinand, Turner Kightly anyone?). I think Cox has reached a dangerous age and that his stock is unlikely to rise in the future. If buy low and sell high is what we should be looking to do it would be my contention that Cox is unlikely to be ever worth more in the future than he is now.
Of course it could backfire dramatically but nothing venture nothing gained!
I also believe that Hutchinson's best position would be in a Simon Cox type role and that the latter's departure might well help former's development.

Barry Corr springs to mind.

There was that guy we got who was with Newport?? in the non-league and got an absolute hatful- came to us but was well of the pace, not fit enough/probably carrying a bit too much timber? He had a similar NL scoring record..

I think the references KB got from Bournemouth before his injury & departure would have carried a lot of weight regarding if he has the ability at our level. Regarding the injury to full seasons with a lot of games and no significant injuries will have been the best answer to that.

Craig Reid is the guy you are referring to.

How about playing Cox behind a front 2?
That's certainly where I would like to see him operate, but.................Humphrys has got to get himself and his bugle fit for the season start and Hopper is a little way off being ready for the first KO too. Which leaves Theo, Mr Goodship, and Charlie Kelman possibly vying to lead the line. I reckon Humphrys will be ready with Cox playing beside him. Assuming none of the rumours on here about Coxy are true, obviously.

Cox
Humphrys
Hopper
Robinson
Goodship
Kelman
Acquah

Haven't seen Goodship play but that looks strong to me. Wouldn't be surprised to see a couple leave whether permanently or on loan.

Goodship is the same age as Vardy when he signed for Fleetwood, also had a similar scoring record at Weymouth that Vardy did for Stocksbridge Steels and FC Halifax...

Just sayin’

I can see Cox in a playmaker role now. Something we have lacked for a long time.

That is a possibility and Cox is good at exploiting the space between the oppos defence and midfield.

However he would then be in the way of a fully fit Dru.

Cox is our best player by far.. our problem has been keeping a few fit strikers to work with him and learn off him..
this may be his last season on the front line ( it may not ) but he has so much more to offer as an attacking midfielder .

Hes a stand out not just for us but within the league when it comes to using your brain, especially those brilliant passes that open up defences, who else can manage that consistently?

I can see Cox in a playmaker role now. Something we have lacked for a long time.

Cox is our best player by far.. our problem has been keeping a few fit strikers to work with him and learn off him..
this may be his last season on the front line ( it may not ) but he has so much more to offer as an attacking midfielder .

I just don't get people wanting to turn him into an attacking midfielder.

Don't you remember the Bristol Rovers game end of the previous season? After Dru went off injured Cox dropped back into midfield and we completely failed to break down 10 men.

His best games are when he's harassing defenders, playing up high.

Hopper's injury actually helped him as he generally then had to play higher up the pitch. He actually scored more/at a quicker rate and had more assists more frequently without than with Hopper in the side.

Yet people seem to think he's the midfielder that Dru is.

Back