• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brandon Goodship signs

That is a possibility and Cox is good at exploiting the space between the oppos defence and midfield.

However he would then be in the way of a fully fit Dru.

I don’t see how anyone thinks Dru is that type of player.....

His goal record is abysmal and he’s completely uncomfortable in those attacking areas you’d hope that type of player gets in......his two chances v Sunderland are evidence of that. It’s not a skill that can be taught....it is one that can be improved but only if a player has that kind of instinct to begin with.....

The ability to stay composed and strike cleanly and to hit target (corners or side netting even) is an instinct more than a skill......

It’s only my opinion but Drus at his best closing people down, harassing players and driving forwards into open grass in front of him.....very much in a N’golo Kante role

Re the Sponsorship. He had already gone apparently Grrrrr. So we wait for another I guess

I just don't get people wanting to turn him into an attacking midfielder.

Yet people seem to think he's the midfielder that Dru is.

I see Cox dropping in just behind a front two and think that he would do well in that role, as long as we have wing backs, and as long as we have two mobile and quick forwards.

Sorry, but I don't agree with YB on the above comment (hopefully edited correctly) though as there is no way in my opinion that Dru can be classed as an attacking midfielder, he falls apart as soon as he is in the opposition penalty area. I am sure that he is going to be a great player for us but agree with Grapevine that it will be in the Kante type role.

Re the Sponsorship. He had already gone apparently Grrrrr. So we wait for another I guess

How come? They had managed to sell his sponsorship well over a week ago before you phoned them for first dibs when he was presumably still some way away from completing his transfer?! I’m not massively happy with that, it smells in fact it reeks of the normal sponsorship crew being away when the transfer went through (I believe they were) and either not having told their stand-ins about the arrangement with us or whoever was in charge at the time ignoring it. What a load of crap - and we’re the supporters as well, anyone would think we were insignificant and unimportant until the time comes to open our wallets! How do we know it’ll be any better next time we sign a player?

:Angry::Frustrated:

My email exchange.

Hi John,

Sorry I am currently away on holiday.

My manager has informed me that he has been taken someone called as soon as he was announced, his home sponsorship I am afraid.

Kind Regards,

Rebecca Groom
Commercial Coordinator.

Hi Rebecca , that is very dissapointing as you and I discussed on the phone we had raised enough funds for two players and you assured me we could have the first new signing of the season and that you had put our name by it. So I don't know whats happened?

Hope you are having a great time.

Kind Rgds,

John.

I see Cox dropping in just behind a front two and think that he would do well in that role, as long as we have wing backs, and as long as we have two mobile and quick forwards.

Sorry, but I don't agree with YB on the above comment (hopefully edited correctly) though as there is no way in my opinion that Dru can be classed as an attacking midfielder, he falls apart as soon as he is in the opposition penalty area. I am sure that he is going to be a great player for us but agree with Grapevine that it will be in the Kante type role.

By attacking midfielder I mean the player instigating the attacks. The one playing the passes that set up the player who makes the assist. Playmaker is probably a better term for it. He’d be the more offense minded centre-mid as I’d pair him with a more defensive minded midfielder like Hyam or Kiernan.

I don’t see how we’re going to play three centre forwards on a regular basis. It’s basically the Jack Payne conundrum again. He’s far more likely to be playing with one forward.

This is very shoddy treatment.
How come? They had managed to sell his sponsorship well over a week ago before you phoned them for first dibs when he was presumably still some way away from completing his transfer?! I’m not massively happy with that, it smells in fact it reeks of the normal sponsorship crew being away when the transfer went through (I believe they were) and either not having told their stand-ins about the arrangement with us or whoever was in charge at the time ignoring it. What a load of crap - and we’re the supporters as well, anyone would think we were insignificant and unimportant until the time comes to open our wallets! How do we know it’ll be any better next time we sign a player?

:Angry::Frustrated:

Wouldn't surprise me if Kylie Jenner or one of the Kardashians pulled some strings.

Sponsorship of a tier 6 player no one has ever heard of is the type of commodity that money alone can't buy.

I don’t see how anyone thinks Dru is that type of player.....

His goal record is abysmal and he’s completely uncomfortable in those attacking areas you’d hope that type of player gets in......his two chances v Sunderland are evidence of that. It’s not a skill that can be taught....it is one that can be improved but only if a player has that kind of instinct to begin with.....

The ability to stay composed and strike cleanly and to hit target (corners or side netting even) is an instinct more than a skill......

It’s only my opinion but Drus at his best closing people down, harassing players and driving forwards into open grass in front of him.....very much in a N’golo Kante role

Don't worry there are plenty of people who do. Including PL scouts who come to watch him.

I never meant play him as a Cox like number 10. But we are talking about the same skills. Still plenty of grass for Dru to run into nearer the penalty box rather than the half way line.

We have to many players that can do the job of holding or harassing and none of them have a dangerous forward pass. With Barratt out Bunn in and out, loss of form in McL and Kightly......We ended up with no threat from our midfield and barely managed a shot in the games v Wimbledon, Shrews or Wycombe.

Dru's last game v Sunderland was his best since he was subbed for his own protection at of all places Sunderland.

You can criticise him for missing the chances (first one was a good save) but that actually didn't matter. The bigger picture was we were attacking and if we don't force a save in the first 25 at RH it never gets better. We could see clearly that Kiernan was holding and having room to turn because Dru was pushing further up the pitch.

Crucially for the whole club Dru done really well to win the JW goal scoring corner.

Just weeks before he would have never been in that position.

Yes he is a strong little player and can steal the ball in midfield but he can do that higher up the pitch....Besides as a team we need a bit more Cantona rather Kante

BRANDON Goodship’s hunger to succeed in the Football League is what persuaded Kevin Bond to make the frontman his first signing as Southend United boss.

More...

Have we paid a fee for this lad or was he out of contract with Weymouth? When you score so many goals at one level it’s only time before those in leagues above look at you and consider whether you could do the same at their level.

Young - check
Hungry - check
Non league - check
Not Jason Williams - check

Seems to have all the attributes. Can't wait to see him in action to see if he can make the next step up. Nothing like someone who knows where the back of the net is!

Have we paid a fee for this lad or was he out of contract with Weymouth? When you score so many goals at one level it’s only time before those in leagues above look at you and consider whether you could do the same at their level.
Would of thought a small fee with plenty of add ons with appearances and goals in with the deal and of course the friendly game.

Seems to have all the attributes. Can't wait to see him in action to see if he can make the next step up. Nothing like someone who knows where the back of the net is!

It's like a lady's tickle button. You might know where it is, but actually finding it is another story.

Young - check
Hungry - check
Non league - check
Not Jason Williams - check

His height will be another 'check'.

At least whilst he is finding his feet rather than the net he can add something. As we have seen with the likes of Ba, Wabo and even Kelman, trying to step up is difficult if your relying on just goals.

Don't worry there are plenty of people who do. Including PL scouts who come to watch him.

I never meant play him as a Cox like number 10. But we are talking about the same skills. Still plenty of grass for Dru to run into nearer the penalty box rather than the half way line.

We have to many players that can do the job of holding or harassing and none of them have a dangerous forward pass. With Barratt out Bunn in and out, loss of form in McL and Kightly......We ended up with no threat from our midfield and barely managed a shot in the games v Wimbledon, Shrews or Wycombe.

Dru's last game v Sunderland was his best since he was subbed for his own protection at of all places Sunderland.

You can criticise him for missing the chances (first one was a good save) but that actually didn't matter. The bigger picture was we were attacking and if we don't force a save in the first 25 at RH it never gets better. We could see clearly that Kiernan was holding and having room to turn because Dru was pushing further up the pitch.

Crucially for the whole club Dru done really well to win the JW goal scoring corner.

Just weeks before he would have never been in that position.

Yes he is a strong little player and can steal the ball in midfield but he can do that higher up the pitch....Besides as a team we need a bit more Cantona rather Kante

I’m not going to get in a protracted debate with you (again?) (thank god says everyone!) but there’s absolutely no evidence to suggest anyone let alone PL clubs see Dru as that type of player. He’s not really played as an attacking threat that often by SU and if PL clubs had even half an inkling that he was good in that role he’d have gone by now and he’d have demonstrated it with 5-15 goals from his 60 odd appearances....

He’s a very athletic, dynamic player but he doesn’t possess the refined technical ability required in the higher end of the pitch where people are marked more tightly, play is quicker, space is tighter and demands for goals (created or scored) is greater.

The fact he found himself in some useful positions is great but a blind squirrel finds nuts now and again and the fact he hasn’t shown the composure to capitalise on those positions shows he lacks a goal instinct at this level let alone any higher.

He has so many other attributes and I’m not debating whether he can play at PL level of whether he’s a good player or not, I just dont see him as an attacking threat in the final third or as someone who plays higher up the pitch....that’s not to say he won’t find himself there now and again and do well.

All those PL scouts that have come to watch and have not put offers in lol. I don't see Dru as a goalscoring midfielder tbh he would of scored atleast once by now surely. Even Kyprianou and Elvis have scored despite less appearances and playing fullback

All those PL scouts that have come to watch and have not put offers in lol. I don't see Dru as a goalscoring midfielder tbh he would of scored atleast once by now surely. Even Kyprianou and Elvis have scored despite less appearances and playing fullback
Even Oxley has more career goals than Dru ! Lol

Back