• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Ecuador 1-1 Brazil

Noboa, 89 Baptista, 73

One of the eternal joys of watching South American football is the sight of those famous yellow shirts buzzing around the pitch, flicking the ball to one another as if 30 yard first time passes were the easiest thing in the world. They play as if they're simply delighted to be there, they attack as if it's always the last minute and they entertain as if they were being paid bonuses for every standing ovation. O Jogo Bonito, indeed. Ecuador are a joy to watch.

Quite how Dunga's side managed to steal a point, and almost three, from such a dazzling team is something of a mystery. The blue-shirted Brazilians should have been crushed long before half-time and their goalkeeper, Julio Cesar, will never play a better game in his career. He was everywhere, like a cartoon character with more limbs than are strictly legal. His first half double-save, beating away a rocket that crept under his poorly constructed wall and then twisting on the ground to lash the rebound away with his feet, was so good that you could see Ecuadorean heads dropping all over the pitch. If he could stop that, he could stop anything.

It is customary at this point, when reporting on a game in Quito, to point out that the Ecuadoreans play 2,800 metres above sea level in a rarefied atmosphere that can sap the life out of the uninitiated. But while that can explain away the lack of energy in Brazil's performance, it can't explain the lack of responsibility and heart. You know when a team has gone to sleep at the back when you can't be entirely sure whether they're playing man-to-man marking or zonal. All too often, Brazil simply didn't care and Ecuador cut through their midfield again and again, scampering in on goal as if no-one was there to stop them.

I was too young to see Elvis Presley lurching through the humiliating final months of his career, but I imagine that it was a lot like watching Ronaldinho. While Presley had his sweaty jumpsuits and struggled to read the autocue through a drug-addled blur, Ronaldinho has his alarmingly tight Brazil shirt and struggles to read the game through, presumably, his meandering fantasies of what he should do with all of his money. His one contribution to the game, besides standing around with his hands on his hips thinking about hot-dogs, was to half-heartedly prod a free-kick into the kneecaps of the Ecuadorian wall. It was no coincidence that Brazil improved markedly as soon he shuffled off the pitch. Perhaps he should stick to soft-drink commercials. He brings a lot more life to them.

His replacement, the Roma striker Julio Baptista , scored with practically his first touch and, from around the stadium, you could hear 40,000 Ecuadorian hands slapping 40,000 Ecuadorean foreheads in a communal Homer Simpson 'Do'h!' moment. All the possession, all the chances, and then they go and let that happen. But the hosts weren't to be thwarted, not after all of that, and they finally snatched a share of the points when substitute Cristian Noboa blasted home from the edge of the six yard box after yet another Cesar stop.

Brazil lie five points behind the Paraguay in the South American World Cup group, snuggled into the fourth and final qualifying place. They'll reach the finals, as they always do, but they'll have to improve on this if they're to have any hope of success. A little defensive training might help for starters but, on the evidence of this, the watching eyes of the European powers have little to fear.

UNLUCKY - How many chances did Ecuador’s Christian Benitez need to score? The Santos star tore Brazil to pieces, but everything he hit seemed to veer wide or cruise over. With just a little bit of luck, he could have rattled in a famous hat-trick.

STEAMROLLER - Brazil were flattened into the turf here and I can’t overstate enough how fortunate they were to sneak back home with a point. Ecuador had 23 chances to score and they only managed to take one of them. Dunga is a very, very lucky man.

BRAINS OF THE OPERATION - Wigan’s Antonio Valencia usually plays out wide in the Premier League, but left to his own devices in the centre for his country, he was terrific. He repeatedly loped forward, admittedly through the sparse wilderness of the Brazilian midfield, crashing shots off the woodwork with impunity.

PUNTER’S RANT - Anyone who backed Brazil without realising the altitude of Quito will be furious with themselves, but even with that disadvantage, they would have expected better. Dunga’s side just didn’t perform here at all, getting all the simple things wrong.

MAN OF THE MATCH - Julio Cesar gave a goalkeeping masterclass here. Alert and brave, he dealt with almost everything that came his way. It was only after yet another short-range stop that a rebound was finally thumped past his ears at Mach 3. I always said I’d never give a ‘10’ in my ratings. I almost did here.

MATCH STATS
Crowd - 41,000
Yellow Cards - Elano, Gilberto, Marcelo, Dani Alves (Brazil)
Red Cards - None
Brazil -
Julio Cesar (rating) 9, Maicon 6 (Dani Alves 6, 23rd), Lucio 5, Luizao 5, Marcelo 5, Felipe Melo 5, Gilberto Silva 4, Ronaldinho 3 (Julio Baptista 7, 70th), Elano 4 (Josue 5, 61st), Luis Fabiano 5, Robinho 5
Ecuador -
Jose Cevallos 7, Neicer Yano 6, Ivan Hurtado 7, Giovanny Espinosa 8, Walter Ayovi 7, Segundo Castillo 7, Edison Mendez 7, Joffre Mendez 7 (Cristian Noboa 7, 73rd) , Antonio Valencia 7, Felipe Caicedo 7 (Pablo Palacios 6, 90th), Christian Benitez 7

Brazil are vastly overrated because people think who they were, rather than who is out there. This looks a fairly strong Brazil side, when compared to the line-ups they sometimes come up with in their Nike friendlies. They still however fairly regularly lose these types of qualifiers away from home, so a draw isn't a bad result. Ecuador are a decent side, probably the best outside the big 2 in South America.

I laughed out loud a couple of time there. And then sent it on to a Brazilian colleague.

Great work Slip.

I've long been an admirer of Valencia and last night he was exceptional... Going to United, as is rumoured, is either going to make him or break him.

Thing is, though, Brazil only qualified for the 2002 World Cup by the skin of their teeth and yet - after some inspired reorganisation under Scolari - still ended up winning the competition. It wouldn't surprise me if the same happened next year.

It's strange how the top nations often stumble through their qualifying groups. Germany have a similar knack of looking very ordinary during qualifying, only to do the business when it matters. A few Dutch people I spoke to pre-Euro 2008 thought they were one of the worst sides in the competition and yet once there played some utterly dazzling football. Obviously they did their obligatory self-destruction act against Russia but they were a joy to watch.

Italy were unbelievably awful during the 1994 World Cup yet still came within penalty kicks of winning it. Never write off the giants, however bad they may be at the moment. It's a strange game, footie.

Brazil don't have a good record in Ecuador I believe, before last night they hadn't even scored in the last 4 visits.

Last edited:
Brazil are usually rubbish in the qualifying tournament but I'm sure they'll come good around June 2010

Brazil also tend to get very favourable draws once it comes to the World Cup itself. I know their high seeding helps, but they rarely end up having to face anyone half-decent before the quarter-finals and sometimes even further.

Brazil also tend to get very favourable draws once it comes to the World Cup itself. I know their high seeding helps, but they rarely end up having to face anyone half-decent before the quarter-finals and sometimes even further.

They always seem to end up in a group with a cash-rich nation that hasn't quite taken to football yet, don't they? It's an astonishing coincidence, as if FIFA were doing it deliberately to smooth a path for Brazil's progress while advertising the game in their key markets at the same time. Obviously, that can't be the case though.

This seems as good a time as any to post one of Brazil's more shameful footballing episodes:

Have that Ramos

I've always been a bit bothered by the way so many people have Brazil as their 'second team'. During World Cups you see tons of people wearing Brazil shirts who are about as Brazilian as Steve Davis. Do me a favour.

This seems as good a time as any to post one of Brazil's more shameful footballing episodes:

Have that Ramos

I've always been a bit bothered by the way so many people have Brazil as their 'second team'. During World Cups you see tons of people wearing Brazil shirts who are about as Brazilian as Steve Davis. Do me a favour.

left Ramos with a broken skull. Disgraceful

left Ramos with a broken skull. Disgraceful

I'm not sure if that was the clip with the ITV commentary (can't really play it with the sound up in the office) but it had a classic bit of Keegan. He pretty much accuses Ramos of faking it and going down like a sack of spuds!

I'm not sure if that was the clip with the ITV commentary (can't really play it with the sound up in the office) but it had a classic bit of Keegan. He pretty much accuses Ramos of faking it and going down like a sack of spuds!

No it was a Yank commentary, which included the sage opinion that it was stupid, not because he commited GBH but because he used the "infield" elbow that the Ref could see. Silly boy, always shield your attempts at murder from the officials!

Back