• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tangled up in Blue

Certified Senior Citizen⭐
Last edited:
Interesting survey.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/datablog/interactive/2012/jun/22/how-wealthy-you-compared

FWIW our household is in the "squeezed middle."

"46%
HAVE A LOWER INCOME THAN YOU
You are in the squeezed middle: income levels have not risen significantly and you're feeling the pinch."

Poor you. According to the poll I am in poverty with 7% worse off than me. Funny, I don't feel particularly in abject poverty but then again I work for a living and do what is nessasary to feed and cloth my kids. And I don't buy into the ******** Guardian 'It's all the Tories fault' rubbish. Take your blinkers off for a change Barna and take a look at the real world, you might learn something about real life rather than the theories and ethic crap you teach.

70% have a lower income.

I doubt many of these write for The Guardian.

Or are representative of the clothes, food,holidays,furniture or property covered by the Guardian/Observer lifestyle sections.

0%HAVE A LOWER INCOME THAN YOUYou are in poverty, with a household income below 60% of the median
Lucky old me!:'(

Note how poverty is defined here: less than 60% of median household income.

This is a stupid definition to use for three reasons: it is a measure of relative rather than absolute poverty, it does not reflect household circumstances and it causes some statistical anomolies.

For example, during a recession the median income falls (as unemployment rises) such that the number of people "in poverty" actually goes down. Conversely, strong economic growth can increase the number "in poverty" as median income rises.

Contrast also these two scenarios: a 20 year-old single person living on their own in the North-East; and a married couple with one working spouse, four kids and living in London. If both have a household income of 59% of the median income then both would be deemed to be "in poverty". The single person with no dependents in an area of lower living costs is not really in poverty; they are probably relatively well off.

And I don't buy into the ******** Guardian 'It's all the Tories fault' rubbish. Take your blinkers off for a change Barna and take a look at the real world, you might learn something about real life rather than the theories and ethic crap you teach.

Whose fault is it then GHG?
As for the "taking a look at the real world and learning something about life" argument,on Friday I finally received payment from the UAB for an invoice I submitted in January.I'm also about to start a one month intensive course, teaching teachers, for the Generalitat(Catalan Autonomous Government)and have no idea when exactly I'll be paid for it(last year it was at the end of July,this year it's going to be very late,apparently).

As for the "taking a look at the real world and learning something about life" argument,on Friday I finally received payment from the UAB for an invoice I submitted in January.I'm also about to start a one month intensive course, teaching teachers, for the Generalitat(Catalan Autonomous Government)and have no idea when exactly I'll be paid for it(last year it was at the end of July,this year it's going to be very late,apparently).

Why does it take them so long to pay you?

Why does it take them so long to pay you?

The Generalitat is skint.There was piece in El Pais in the week saying they've just had a loan from central Government authorising debt payments dating back to the first two financial quarters of this year.
TBF, all Spain's regional Governments have been spending way above their budgets, apparently.

The Generalitat is skint.There was piece in El Pais in the week saying they've just had a loan from central Government authorising debt payments dating back to the first two financial quarters of this year.
TBF, all Spain's regional Governments have been spending way above their budgets, apparently.

Thank god here in the UK we are cutting back, I would hate to think that Southend Council (council of the year) took 6 months to pay me.

So what do you want, a medal? More fool you for working for an organization that is potless and pays it bills late. And to further take employment knowing you are going to be paid late again tells me your judgement skills are sadly lacking. As for the comment of blaming the tories for everything from the state of the economy to the weather, cast your mind back to who was in power for 12 years before the coalalition came about.

Lets sell off our gold reserve for pennies.
Lets create nothing jobs for no-bodies with no agenda other than towing the Labour Party line.
Lets bow to the unions.
Lets bow to the EU.
Lets cover up what we don't wont the public to know.
Lets hound and persacute anyone who speaks out against us.
And now it's 'Give us another bite at the cherry as we will throw money we dont have around like water again'

I dislike Camaron and Clegg even moreso but if the solution is Miliband with his sorry pathetic line of 'You just don't get it' time and time again then god help us all.

So what do you want, a medal? More fool you for working for an organization that is potless and pays it bills late. And to further take employment knowing you are going to be paid late again tells me your judgement skills are sadly lacking. As for the comment of blaming the tories for everything from the state of the economy to the weather, cast your mind back to who was in power for 12 years before the coalalition came about.

Lets sell off our gold reserve for pennies.
Lets create nothing jobs for no-bodies with no agenda other than towing the Labour Party line.
Lets bow to the unions.
Lets bow to the EU.
Lets cover up what we don't wont the public to know.
Lets hound and persacute anyone who speaks out against us.
And now it's 'Give us another bite at the cherry as we will throw money we dont have around like water again'

I dislike Camaron and Clegg even moreso but if the solution is Miliband with his sorry pathetic line of 'You just don't get it' time and time again then god help us all.
GHG, you left out the "Let's allow Political Correctness to destroy the rights and entitlement of huge numbers of law abiding heterosexual white persons" one.

90% apparently - but obviously not a real comparison as I don't live, earn or pay tax in the UK.

Surely though a real definition of poverty is not being able to feed, clothe and shelter yourself and your family sufficiently? Despite my left leanings I do get annoyed at such terms being used by The Guardian incorrectly. For many Guardianista not being able to afford to shop for brie in Waitrose would be seen as poverty.

It is also only measuring income - I'd argue poverty should also include assets.

Back