• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Break the silence 3: Bill Gates is named world's richest person

steveo

mine to stay the same please
Good luck to hoim. The bloke who bought desktop computing to millions is again the worlds richest man. Has donated a reported £30 Billion, yes billion dollars to charity via the Bill Gates foundation.

Don't see so many of those Micro$oft posts anymore.

Top bloke, good luck to him.

I like Bill Gates and think Windows is pretty decent considering the huge number of permutations of hardware it has to work with.

Apple have it much easier because they control the hardware as well (probably with a huge margin on top).

For the vast majority of users there is no compelling reason to own a Mac.

Bet you do XP boy.

Just for Itunes on a decrepid old desktop.

So you'll keep using 8 even though you don't like it, rather than upgrade to 10? Which seems to be pretty good by most accounts so far. (or you went back to 7)

It's not like Bill Gates designed it anyway.

No, I use Ubuntu which is head & shoulders over anything Microsoft IMHO (and absolutely free - no virus killer required). If I could get it to run Itunes it'd be perfect.

No, I use Ubuntu which is head & shoulders over anything Microsoft IMHO (and absolutely free - no virus killer required). If I could get it to run Itunes it'd be perfect.

I also used to use Ubuntu. I gave up because my wife couldn't get on with it, but I loved it. When I used it you weren't able to run iTunes on it...

I also used to use Ubuntu. I gave up because my wife couldn't get on with it, but I loved it. When I used it you weren't able to run iTunes on it...

Yer, it's a minor bugbear - I use my phone for podcasts and I very rarely update my music collection these days. My wife just uses the internet (Firefox) and that's the same on any OS, so happy days.

Just a quick question MK, how do you get hold of this Ubuntu?

Download it from the website.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download

Stick it on a memory stick, change the laptop/PC to boot from it and it'll install. If you want to keep Windows, you can partition your HD and dual boot.

When I originally set it up, I did it as dual boot until I was completely happy that a) I liked it, and b) I had set up everything I needed/wanted. That allowed me to swap between the two for a number of weeks/months until I was fully satisfied.

When I originally set it up, I did it as dual boot until I was completely happy that a) I liked it, and b) I had set up everything I needed/wanted. That allowed me to swap between the two for a number of weeks/months until I was fully satisfied.

I ran it from the mem stick until I decided it was the way forward. Dumped the HD that Windows 8 destroyed, bought and SSD and never looked back :smile:

I don't want to download it MK I am just interested in what you used to download it with.

Steveo means you used a computer to download it, and what was that computer's OS?

I have to use Windows as I use my PC for games. Until possibly Steam OS comes out there isn't really an alternative.

Thanks BRB, MK was a bit slow getting there.

Back