• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brexit negotiations thread

Great Britain, but not the United Kingdom it seems.......

I don't like the term UK, mainly because its to far down any scroll list when you have to give your address.

Mary Peters won her gold medal for Great Britain so that's good enough for me.

I don't like the term UK, mainly because its to far down any scroll list when you have to give your address.

Mary Peters won her gold medal for Great Britain so that's good enough for me.

But actually, the point I make is valid. The name of the place we live in is the United Kingdom, Great Britain is just the bigger of the two islands. By implication the word Brexit omits N Ireland from the equation. And as I've said before, Northern Ireland is the unsquarable circle.

Mary Peters won her gold competing for Great Britain and Northern Ireland, but more crucially, when a N Irish represented GB in Jeux Sans Frontiers, they had NI on their backs.

But actually, the point I make is valid. The name of the place we live in is the United Kingdom, Great Britain is just the bigger of the two islands. By implication the word Brexit omits N Ireland from the equation. And as I've said before, Northern Ireland is the unsquarable circle.

Mary Peters won her gold competing for Great Britain and Northern Ireland, but more crucially, when a N Irish represented GB in Jeux Sans Frontiers, they had NI on their backs.

The Northern Ireland bit never used to be mentioned. Nobody was bothered at the time.

Its one thing to argue over the financial aspects of Brexit. Telling the majority it wont work because the paperwork is to complicated is a poor excuse. After all the red tape and endless time consuming regulation that created the bloated, costly and corrupt EU was one of the main reasons many of us voted out.

[QUOTE="rigsby, post: 2076919, member: 13088"]The Northern Ireland bit never used to be mentioned. Nobody was bothered at the time.

Its one thing to argue over the financial aspects of Brexit. Telling the majority it wont work because the paperwork is to complicated is a poor excuse. After all the red tape and endless time consuming regulation that created the bloated, costly and corrupt EU was one of the main reasons many of us voted out.[/QUOTE]

I suppose your are aware that 56% of the population in NI voted to remain in the EU?

Last edited:
[QUOTE="rigsby, post: 2076919, member: 13088"]The Northern Ireland bit never used to be mentioned. Nobody was bothered at the time.

Its one thing to argue over the financial aspects of Brexit. Telling the majority it wont work because the paperwork is to complicated is a poor excuse. After all the red tape and endless time consuming regulation that created the bloated, costly and corrupt EU was one of the main reasons many of us voted out.

I suppose your are aware that 56% of the population in NI voted to remain in the EU?[/QUOTE]

Democracy is a bitch eh! the population of NI 1.8 million the UK is 66 million,the vote was to leave the mad house roll next march.

The Northern Ireland bit never used to be mentioned. Nobody was bothered at the time.

I think you'll find the additional red tape caused by not being in the EU is going to be almost a bigger issue as Northern Ireland. You bang on about "corrupt" EU, what is your view on JRM moving his company to Ireland and then giving advice on how to avoid the post Brexit crash? Do you not think that a bit corrupt.

Anyway, I've spouted on from my position of expertese on Brexit (or at least the international trade elements), so your turn. What is your view on the projected redution in house prices? A good or bad thing?

I think you'll find the additional red tape caused by not being in the EU is going to be almost a bigger issue as Northern Ireland. You bang on about "corrupt" EU, what is your view on JRM moving his company to Ireland and then giving advice on how to avoid the post Brexit crash? Do you not think that a bit corrupt.

Anyway, I've spouted on from my position of expertese on Brexit (or at least the international trade elements), so your turn. What is your view on the projected redution in house prices? A good or bad thing?

Clearly that's Project Fear 2.0.It'll only happen if there's a no deal Brexit,something which the events of this last week or so have suggested is unlikely to happen.

I suppose your are aware that 56% of the population in NI voted to remain in the EU?

Democracy is a bitch eh! the population of NI 1.8 million the UK is 66 million,the vote was to leave the mad house roll next march.[/QUOTE]

Interestingly,one of the unintended consequences of Brexit might well be the break up of the UK.

There's been talk in Ireland, for the first time in a generation, of a referendum on a united Ireland.Also you can bet that when the SNP next decide to call a referendum on the Union (some time after the UK has finally left the UK)they'll want to make sure the outcome is rather different than last time around.

I thought house prices were going to slump 2 years ago along with an emergency budget and WW3.

I don't take much notice of Chatham House generated news. If you don't building enough houses for the population you already have and allow a decade of uncontrolled immigration, then of course prices will go up. If we remained in the EU the problem would only get worse. We are already at a stage where many young people will have to rely on inheritance before they could ever own a house.

We are never going to have any large scale social housing projects because nearly all of the 1% and the next 10% have made fortunes from land and property. Plus its great way to control the workers....High mortgages and rents means your less likely to strike etc.

I thought house prices were going to slump 2 years ago along with an emergency budget and WW3.

I don't take much notice of Chatham House generated news. If you don't building enough houses for the population you already have and allow a decade of uncontrolled immigration, then of course prices will go up. If we remained in the EU the problem would only get worse. We are already at a stage where many young people will have to rely on inheritance before they could ever own a house.

We are never going to have any large scale social housing projects because nearly all of the 1% and the next 10% have made fortunes from land and property. Plus its great way to control the workers....High mortgages and rents means your less likely to strike etc.

So, is it a good or a bad thing?

If you don't want to answer I could go and ask a bloke in the pub, but I thought I'd try you first?

I was under the impression that people buying homes to let them out is one of the main problems of why house prices have risen. Aren't you a landlord Rigsby? I'm sure you've done very nicely out of it all.

And if you think that a crash in house prices will result in thousands of affordable properties coming onto the market you're living in cloud cuckoo land. They'll be even less as people won't sell their house at a loss - not to mention that a rise in interest rates will make mortgages less affordable.

I was under the impression that people buying homes to let them out is one of the main problems of why house prices have risen. Aren't you a landlord Rigsby? I'm sure you've done very nicely out of it all.

And if you think that a crash in house prices will result in thousands of affordable properties coming onto the market you're living in cloud cuckoo land. They'll be even less as people won't sell their house at a loss - not to mention that a rise in interest rates will make mortgages less affordable.

Rigsby is SZ's very own Rachman.

Last edited:
So, is it a good or a bad thing?

If you don't want to answer I could go and ask a bloke in the pub, but I thought I'd try you first?

I think my answer is quite clear. I voted out for the benefits of others, not for landlords.

If there was a steady fall in prices that would be good but its not going to happen because Brexit will not see any huge exit of people and we don't build nowhere near enough houses,

Things seem to be moving at such a pace now.............and I'm not talking about the pace of negotiations. Emily Thornberry has apparently announced that Labour would vote down the government Brexit deal...........difficult to know whether the Tories could then amass enough votes in those circumstances...........perhaps?
Whilst we are all looking towards the horizon and guessing how Brexit is going to pan out, maybe it's an idea to look behind us, where some people are predicting that heavy and threatening clouds are forming. Quite a bit of talk (and not just from Gordon Brown) about the risk of a new financial crash, a worse one than 2008. So here's a thought..........will the UK be better prepared and protected outside the EU, if, or when, that eventuality arises?

Back