• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brexit negotiations thread

Yes it was for personal and family reasons rather than the company policy. I guess most of them looked at the bigger picture as life does exist outside of the city.

I wouldn't call any of them old school tie, maybe Brentwood at best. My Friend went to Fitz, his aunty pointed him towards the insurance industry. There has been many changes in the city in the last 30 years and many jobs have gone overseas, or were planned, long before Brexit. I have another friend who has been moved to Poland.....Not we he wanted in his 50's. He said it was Obama telling us to remain that made him vote Brexit.

I was actually house hunting in Thorpe Bay on behalf of my friend but he and his wife were shocked how bad the traffic was driving from London, hence they went for Ingatestone as her family are from that area. I guess when you have lived here for 20 years you don't notice how crowded our little corner of the world has become.

Yes I'd agree but the city is a massive part of the economy, especially in commuting towns like Southend and Chelmsford. It was also you who chose to focus on the insurance part of my original quote, brexit affects many industries.
Despite being a remainer I don't think the deal that the likes of Boris and Farage were speaking of pre referendum would have been that bad. The deal we are looking at is very damaging IMO and if my opinion doesn't count for much then take the word of the governor of the bank of England should.

I agree with you on most football matters Rigsby so I don't want to come across disrespectful, but everything you have said so far is anecdotal, no credible expert economist giving any positive on brexit

The EU has never made a deal on services and it's not included in the checkers proposal.I'd be ****ting myself if I worked in the City now.

Trading in Europe wont be an issue if you are domiciled in Europe, that is why Lloyds Brussells is now set up ready to write business for 01/01/2019 renewals. So initially we will be talking administrative jobs going form the city, but in the long term I can see more jobs going over there. UK brokers could find themselves cut out, I have a friend who is a terrorism reinsurance broker for Germany and Scandinavia and a lot of his client don't want him to place their business next year citing that they want to keep it all in the EU. Don't think we can underestimate how much we are disliked in business circles on the continent at the moment

Trading in Europe wont be an issue if you are domiciled in Europe, that is why Lloyds Brussells is now set up ready to write business for 01/01/2019 renewals. So initially we will be talking administrative jobs going form the city, but in the long term I can see more jobs going over there. UK brokers could find themselves cut out, I have a friend who is a terrorism reinsurance broker for Germany and Scandinavia and a lot of his client don't want him to place their business next year citing that they want to keep it all in the EU. Don't think we can underestimate how much we are disliked in business circles on the continent at the moment

I move in different circles, and the attitude I get is one of deep regret. You'd be surprised how some elements of Europe "haven't forgotten".

I know that there is a fear amongst like minded Member States that our absence, and our ability to shape legislation alongside Germany that has ensured a consistent and stable approach for years, will have significant consequences. There worry is that with us gone, the German / Dutch / Scandanavian influence will replaced by a Southern European one which is, shall we say, quite erratic. A bigger fear is that the old Soviet Bloc countries, with some ideals that are frankly a bit scarey take centre stage.

Ultimately however, we have a been a thorn in the side of Europe since we joined and there will be some that will just want us gone and don't care if there is a deal or note.

My phone is now telling me there is an announcement at 1:45 by the PM

Will it just be a rara Brexit update, a resignaton, a General Election or a second referendum.

Could be all three in the 1:45 report, GE, resignation, 2nd ballot, new party leader elections, or maybe just more of the same tired noise?

The EU once again shows it's rotten corruption and the senior officials demonstrate how they are utterly unfit to manage affairs. They will never be investigated because they are immune to investigation.

I wasn't around (missed by six years) the air raid warnings, the ways to protect your windows from blast, the black-out procedures but that speech had a similar sound to those preventative warnings. Not prepare yourself for war but prepare yourself for a no deal. You blink if you want to (in fact, you'll have to) because this lady is not for blinking. Well that's all very positive. :Winking:....but it follows on from the mood of Salzberg
At least we are at last coming down to the nitty-gritty. The government has spent two years squabbling amongst itself before coming up with a plan that hardly has universal agreement within the Tory Party and was clearly going to be unacceptable to the EU. Perhaps it may have been an idea to sort out such an intractable problem as Ireland BEFORE evoking article 50 but hey-ho , what do I know.
I didn't think Macron was correct or helpful to have made his statement about the Brexiter's lying to the British public.................even accounting for the fact that what he said was entirely right. I don't think the good deal that May and the Brexiters claimed we would get was ever possible. I don't think, even with a little movement from both the EU and the UK (is the goodwill there to even achieve that?), the chasm between the two sides can be bridged.
Is a no deal what the 17.4 million voted for? I don't know. What happens if there is a no deal presented to parliament? I don't know. Would Corbyn fare better? I don't know......but I don't think so. As I've said before, what a bloody mess. In the end, by default, maybe the hard-line brexiters will be the only ones with smiles on their faces.

Last edited:
The EU once again shows it's rotten corruption and the senior officials demonstrate how they are utterly unfit to manage affairs. They will never be investigated because they are immune to investigation.

When you want to leave a club that you've been a member of for over 40 years you should expect to be liable to pay for any outstanding dues.Likewise if you're seeking divorce after a long term marriage, it's a good idea to terminate the relationship as harmoniously as possible.

Last edited:

Used to have a old friend (married to one of my cousins), who worked on a bench at Lloyds.He retired a few years ago and I'm sure he's well out of it.Also know one or two younger people who work for multi-national Merchant banks in the city.They're all expecting their next postings to be in Paris,Frankfurt or Dublin.

Used to have a old friend (married to one of my cousins), who worked on a bench at Lloyds.He retired a few years ago and I'm sure he's well out of it.Also know one or two younger people who work for multi-national Merchant banks in the city.They're all expecting their next postings to be in Paris,Frankfurt or Dublin.

Lloyd's is still alive and kicking and offering a relatively enjoyable and lucrative living for it's market participants.

Brexit won't change that in my opinion.

Your old friend still attends a fair number of Lloyd's imbibing sessions as far as I know.

PS: Always remember the apostrophe.

Yes I'd agree but the city is a massive part of the economy, especially in commuting towns like Southend and Chelmsford. It was also you who chose to focus on the insurance part of my original quote, brexit affects many industries.
Despite being a remainer I don't think the deal that the likes of Boris and Farage were speaking of pre referendum would have been that bad. The deal we are looking at is very damaging IMO and if my opinion doesn't count for much then take the word of the governor of the bank of England should.

I agree with you on most football matters Rigsby so I don't want to come across disrespectful, but everything you have said so far is anecdotal, no credible expert economist giving any positive on brexit

Firstly you don't have to apologise, unlike some I wont chuck my teddy in the corner and neither do you so I'll be straight.

I mentioned insurance as an example its your game so to speak. I used to Ski with a group of bankers in Verbier once a year and they make you insurance boys look like cheap skates when it comes to spending other peoples money.

So what I'm saying is you City boys have always been protected from the EU political agenda. austerity and mass immigration. In fact other peoples hardship makes you wealthier,

You are protected by institutional racism, institutional sexism and nepotism. I'm not having a dig at you, all of us would back the system if we were in it and nobody enjoyed the nights more than me in the exclusive Farm club in Verbier all at the tax payers expense.

All the "credible" financial experts you mention are part of your system. They will never rock the boat. If do believe Mark Carney then I guess you have already put you house on the market?.....When they slump by a third you can buy back in and keep a tidy sum or will you upgrade to a much bigger house?

One ski trip we went to meet a load of German bankers. They weren't the wildest bunch I have met but seemed to like the Brits on the lash. Two girls were flown out from London who work for the US bank. Their job was to run around and sort out lift passes, book the best restaurants and fetch us drinks etc. Whilst this was going on the Bankers were discussing a legal Tax doge. I don't know the full scam but it involves borrowing up to £6m from a private bank for 1 day and showing some sort of trading loss......One of them had just saved £200,000 tax on that years bonus,,,,,I have never heard any "credible" financial experts mention that.

Meanwhile back in the real world the public sector have had no rise for years. In fact with part of their pensions stolen and pay reduction scams they are earning less than they were 10 years ago.

Mass uncontrolled Immigration, including turning a blind eye to illegal migrants, has driven down wages in most jobs like building, driving and the service industry etc. So many people living and working within London range, the sort of people who follow Southend have not done so well from the corrupt and self serving EU. They have never committed crime. worked hard, struggled to put their kids through uni and then realise their children have no chance of even owning a house.

That's why we voted out and that's why we want out, out.....And if a few of your mates have to move to Paris......Who cares?

Last edited:
A couple of things about the EU there Riggers with regard to its recent approach to mass immigration and the Greek financial crisis. These were not so much an EU response but a German one, which of course amounts to the same thing.

Most people probably know that the German word for debt is the same as the German word for guilt: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31369185 . It’s an understandably sensitive subject, as during and following the German financial debt crisis in the 1920s and 1930s there was deep shame among Germans. This has been rooted in German culture and psyche since Martin Luther and even before. Of course around that time, when a people well known as money lenders were stigmatised and attacked, this happened with the consent and assistance of the population. Of course it never should have happened and is no justification whatsoever. That part of the common psyche which contributed to allowing a disgusting aberration of history remains.

With regard to immigration, Germany has in recent years had a major problem with its birth rate and demographic situation: https://m.dw.com/en/germany-is-not-shrinking/a-37415327 . There was widespread talk of its population falling quickly and substantially to be below that of the UK and France possibly as soon as 2030. Of course if that happened, GDP would go with it and they would no longer be the ‘big boys’ of Europe. So when the chance came to rectify that quickly and cleanly with young, educated imports Germany took it. But it didn’t just take the chance, it foisted it on the rest of Europe and went all holier than thou about it. There was no discussion, it was ‘aren’t we wonderful - do as you are told and join in or else’.

Lloyd's is still alive and kicking and offering a relatively enjoyable and lucrative living for it's market participants.

Brexit won't change that in my opinion.

Your old friend still attends a fair number of Lloyd's imbibing sessions as far as I know.

PS: Always remember the apostrophe.

Ricky Otto made it quite clear why Lloyd's will still be viable in the future.Whether that will also be true of other city firms post-Brexit is a moot point.I do hope my cousin is well these days?
PS.Thanks for the apostrophe advice.:-)

Firstly you don't have to apologise, unlike some I wont chuck my teddy in the corner and neither do you so I'll be straight.

I mentioned insurance as an example its your game so to speak. I used to Ski with a group of bankers in Verbier once a year and they make you insurance boys look like cheap skates when it comes to spending other peoples money.

So what I'm saying is you City boys have always been protected from the EU political agenda. austerity and mass immigration. In fact other peoples hardship makes you wealthier,

You are protected by institutional racism, institutional sexism and nepotism. I'm not having a dig at you, all of us would back the system if we were in it and nobody enjoyed the nights more than me in the exclusive Farm club in Verbier all at the tax payers expense.

All the "credible" financial experts you mention are part of your system. They will never rock the boat. If do believe Mark Carney then I guess you have already put you house on the market?.....When they slump by a third you can buy back in and keep a tidy sum or will you upgrade to a much bigger house?

One ski trip we went to meet a load of German bankers. They weren't the wildest bunch I have met but seemed to like the Brits on the lash. Two girls were flown out from London who work for the US bank. Their job was to run around and sort out lift passes, book the best restaurants and fetch us drinks etc. Whilst this was going on the Bankers were discussing a legal Tax doge. I don't know the full scam but it involves borrowing up to £6m from a private bank for 1 day and showing some sort of trading loss......One of them had just saved £200,000 tax on that years bonus,,,,,I have never heard any "credible" financial experts mention that.

Meanwhile back in the real world the public sector have had no rise for years. In fact with part of their pensions stolen and pay reduction scams they are earning less than they were 10 years ago.

Mass uncontrolled Immigration, including turning a blind eye to illegal migrants, has driven down wages in most jobs like building, driving and the service industry etc. So many people living and working within London range, the sort of people who follow Southend have not done so well from the corrupt and self serving EU. They have never committed crime. worked hard, struggled to put their kids through uni and then realise their children have no chance of even owning a house.

That's why we voted out and that's why we want out, out.....And if a few of your mates have to move to Paris......Who cares?

The idea that Tory austerity cuts since 2010 have anything to with the Brexit debate is,of course,complete nonsense,Likewise the notion that there has been "mass uncontrolled immigration" in the UK.

Last edited:
The idea that Tory austerity cuts since 2010 have anything to with the Brexit debate is,of course,complete nonsense,Likewise the idea that there has been "mass uncontrolled immigration" in the UK.

18,000,000 people don't agree with you. Neither do most of the people who voted remain.

You are the perfect example of why expats should never be allowed a vote.

18,000,000 people don't agree with you. Neither do most of the people who voted remain.

You are the perfect example of why expats should never be allowed a vote.

Think you'll find that the actual number of people who voted Leave in the referendum was
17,410,742 or 51.89% of the electorate.Why you should wish to artificially inflate this figure I've no idea?

You also have the disingenous habit of believing that you speak for all leave voters and many remainers too.Amazing.

Ricky Otto made it quite clear why Lloyd's will still be viable in the future.Whether that will also be true of other city firms post-Brexit is a moot point.I do hope my cousin is well these days?
PS.Thanks for the apostrophe advice.:-)

As far as I know she's fine squire.

I haven't seen her since they moved to Kent but I sup a few with her husband roughly every three months. Any messages?

PS: You're welcome - don't want Edward turning in his grave.

As far as I know she's fine squire.

I haven't seen her since they moved to Kent but I sup a few with her husband roughly every three months. Any messages?

PS: You're welcome - don't want Edward turning in his grave.

Best you toodle off to the game squire.No messages.Give us a wave from the DB . :-)

PS.Edward? Not Mr Wiltshire,by any chance?

Back