• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brexit negotiations thread

I doubt the vast majority of protestants would agree with you on a united Ireland.
According to the latest census the numbers are 48% Protestant 45% Catholic and the gap is closing rapidly so a democratic vote is not a foregone conclusion against even if it were to happen tomorrow.

According to the latest census the numbers are 48% Protestant 45% Catholic and the gap is closing rapidly so a democratic vote is not a foregone conclusion against even if it were to happen tomorrow.

Your wrongly assuming all Catholics would vote for a united Ireland....which they certainly wouldn’t.

And you are assuming all prods would vote against, which they certainly wouldn't?

In that case what was the result of the 1973 referendum amongst the people of NI.....To save you looking it up it was over 98% in favour of remaining part of the UK.

Yes many nationalists boycotted the vote but if you allow about 20% who never vote, it would still have been a victory of more than 2 to 1.

In that case what was the result of the 1973 referendum amongst the people of NI.....To save you looking it up it was over 98% in favour of remaining part of the UK.

Yes many nationalists boycotted the vote but if you allow about 20% who never vote, it would still have been a victory of more than 2 to 1.
A referendum held under very different circumstances 45 years ago. That reminds me of something!

A referendum held under very different circumstances 45 years ago. That reminds me of something!

We voted in for the EEC and out for the EU, two totally different things.

Like I say many Catholics never wanted a united Ireland even in the height if the troubles in 1973 and still don't to this day. Far more than any Protestants who might vote for a united Ireland......But hey don't let that fact get in the way of Corbyn and McDonell supporting the IRA. Don't let that fact stop Abbott claiming Protestants are like white settlers in Africa and need to be driven out.

We voted in for the EEC and out for the EU, two totally different things.

Like I say many Catholics never wanted a united Ireland even in the height if the troubles in 1973 and still don't to this day. Far more than any Protestants who might vote for a united Ireland......But hey don't let that fact get in the way of Corbyn and McDonell supporting the IRA. Don't let that fact stop Abbott claiming Protestants are like white settlers in Africa and need to be driven out.
Neither Corbyn nor McDonnell 'support the IRA' as well you know. Abbott's comparison of Protestants to 'white settlers' is of course historically entirely apposite in view of what happened after the Reformation and in succeeeding centuries where the Catholic majority in Ireland were persecuted and disenfranchised to the benfit of incoming protestants and absentee landlords and all the rest. British colonialism wasn't just about Africa and India.

Anyone see C4 Brexit programme last night? A sample of 20,000 people is hardly representitive but apparantly the climate of the UK has changed from leave to remain. Caroline Lucas was the only MP who spoke any sense.

Anyone see C4 Brexit programme last night? A sample of 20,000 people is hardly representitive but apparantly the climate of the UK has changed from leave to remain. Caroline Lucas was the only MP who spoke any sense.

Bit of a farce that polling really, as highlighted by John Curtice several times. The phrasing of the questions produced the answers you would expect. However the biggest issue was the idea that this online survey by Survation of 20,000 people showed an overall swing to remain. Online polling tends to disproportionately reach young, student, left wing respondents and reaches gradually less and less people as ages rise over 30 (people have kids, busy lives or are just not social media junkies as they get older, proportionally speaking). I would say that the very fact that this kind of survey was so close demonstrates the exact opposite of that claimed by C4 and repeated across media outlets today. If there had been a huge swing to remain, this particular polling method should be showing a massive margin of victory for remain. It isn’t.

I thought it was typical channel 4 whenever Brexit is mentioned. It is was as biased towards remain as it was leading up to the referendum. Summed up by saying Gauke and Gardiner were in favour of Brexit, never mind the phasing of the questions as mentioned by Spaceman. The only sense spoken was by Nigel and he didn't seen to get as much time as the two supposed Credit muppets.
Caroline Lucas was her usual pointless self.

Thanks for the heads up.I'll watch it on catch up when I can. (was out at the football last night and going to see John Scofield tonight.It's all go when you're semi-retired). :Winking:

I thought it was typical channel 4 whenever Brexit is mentioned. It is was as biased towards remain as it was leading up to the referendum. Summed up by saying Gauke and Gardiner were in favour of Brexit, never mind the phasing of the questions as mentioned by Spaceman. The only sense spoken was by Nigel and he didn't seen to get as much time as the two supposed Credit muppets.
Caroline Lucas was her usual pointless self.

Sums this entire mess up when Farage as usual, quoted lies and mistruths as facts and gets applause where the people stating the truth gets slated. People's Vote or not (and I hope there is) this country has never been so divided and come March 30th it'll be even more so. In fact as I've said, the areas that voted heavily in favour of leaving will be the worst affected and probably the angriest when Farage's magical unicorns fail to materialise.

Sums this entire mess up when Farage as usual, quoted lies and mistruths as facts and gets applause where the people stating the truth gets slated. People's Vote or not (and I hope there is) this country has never been so divided and come March 30th it'll be even more so. In fact as I've said, the areas that voted heavily in favour of leaving will be the worst affected and probably the angriest when Farage's magical unicorns fail to materialise.
Those whom the gods wish to destroy, first make mad.

Last edited:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ament-christmas-eu-irish-border-a8620321.html

Am I understanding this correctly? May wants to propose a vote in the Commons on the Brexit withdrawal agreement and an outline of our future trading agreement with the EU, before Christmas. Only problem, nothing has been sorted and we have to have confidence that she won't agree terms "at any costs." Who on earth is going to agree to that, given May's track record.............. the madness continues! :Stunned:

Back