• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brexit negotiations thread

I hope it doesn’t, but let’s be honest, with the current unpredictability of the current landscape, would it really surprise you if it did?

Let’s be honest, on Friday it looked nailed on that May would be facing the no-confidence vote by 5pm. 4 days on, and it appears that they’re still struggling to get the 48 letters. And the worrying thing is, if they can’t even get 48 MP’s on board to go against May, then how does that bode for the MP’s blocking her deal?

The one good thing is, Barna hasnt (yet) made the prediction that it definitely won’t get through parliament. When he does that, we’ll all know to start panicking :)

Ha! I'm keeping my powder dry (for the time being). :Winking:

Amber Rudd:

Asked whether the alternative choice was no deal or a second referendum, Rudd said: “It is my view parliament, the House of Commons, will stop no deal. There is not a majority in the House of Commons to allow that to take place.”

Remain it is then. :Happy:

Amber Rudd:

Asked whether the alternative choice was no deal or a second referendum, Rudd said: “It is my view parliament, the House of Commons, will stop no deal. There is not a majority in the House of Commons to allow that to take place.”

Remain it is then. :Happy:

This is what I've always thought. In that eventuality there would be consequences but given the mess in which we've got ourselves, there are going to be consequences which ever way we move. Incredible interview with Mark Francois on 4news, he's just on another planet. We haven't got the Brexit we want because of poor negotiating. :Smile: We should walk away and pay nothing! (spend it on the NHS?) From what I understand a good part of that money is due for future comittments we signed up to. If we refuse to pay I would imagine court action would follow and of course it would set the perfect climate for future relations with the EU.

This is what I've always thought. In that eventuality there would be consequences but given the mess in which we've got ourselves, there are going to be consequences which ever way we move. Incredible interview with Mark Francois on 4news, he's just on another planet. We haven't got the Brexit we want because of poor negotiating. :Smile: We should walk away and pay nothing! (spend it on the NHS?) From what I understand a good part of that money is due for future comittments we signed up to. If we refuse to pay I would imagine court action would follow and of course it would set the perfect climate for future relations with the EU.

Your always telling us we can’t have any of the benefits of a club we don’t be long to. Yet you think they should still charge us.... Which court exactly are the club going to take us to..... The one where they avoided £300b in NATO contributions?

He is of course a local MP (for Rayleigh and Wickford I believe).

Your always telling us we can’t have any of the benefits of a club we don’t be long to. Yet you think they should still charge us.... Which court exactly are the club going to take us to..... The one where they avoided £300b in NATO contributions?
Just tired of hearing crap and what I think are lies, coming from someone who should know better. Please tell me if I'm wrong but, as I understood it, some of this 39 billion to be paid as the divorce settlement is for projects we signed up to as members of the EU. Thus, I presume we have obligations to honour those even if we are leaving. As members of the EU when these comittments were made, I'd presume it may be taken up by the ECJ. If this is true, it's rather dishonest to claim we can use that money for other purposes, isn't it?

Just tired of hearing crap and what I think are lies, coming from someone who should know better. Please tell me if I'm wrong but, as I understood it, some of this 39 billion to be paid as the divorce settlement is for projects we signed up to as members of the EU. Thus, I presume we have obligations to honour those even if we are leaving. As members of the EU when these comittments were made, I'd presume it may be taken up by the ECJ. If this is true, it's rather dishonest to claim we can use that money for other purposes, isn't it?

This is quite correct.Indeed, if we stay in the EU longer than 2020 we'll be paying more.

There certainly won't be any divorce or future deal unless the 39 billion is paid in full, upfront.

I believe TUIB is right and slightly wrong, unless he has wrongly phrased it in the post.

My understanding is we will need to pay more to projects if we are still in the EU on January 1st 2021.
(I believe the cut off date is December 31st, 2020).

As for the £39 Billion, it doesn't need to be paid in full and up front, it does need to be paid, but can be paid in full over another number of years, once what ever commitment we agreed upon is completed.
It won't be a one off payment in one lump sum next year. But the long and short of it is, chances are we will have to cough up the money.

IMO... The EU would be mad to cancel any existing contracts that we are legally obliged to pay for, in order to cancel them & then at a much later date do it again, and pay a larger share after we have left numerous years later.... Presuming that the EU doesn't grow further and invite Turkey or other Eastern European countries etc into the EU.

Of course, the same would apply to the UK, who have both initially agreed to projects that will receive major EU funding. That wouldn't be applicable too, we would have to find the money on our own.

Last edited:
I believe TUIB is right and slightly wrong, unless he has wrongly phrased it in the post.

My understanding is we will need to pay more to projects if we are still in the EU on January 1st 2021.
(I believe the cut off date is December 31st, 2020).

As for the £39 Billion, it doesn't need to be paid in full and up front, it does need to be paid, but can be paid in full over another number of years, once what ever commitment we agreed upon is completed.
It won't be a one off payment in one lump sum next year. But the long and short of it is, chances are we will have to cough up the money.

IMO... The EU would be mad to cancel any existing contracts that we are legally obliged to pay for, in order to cancel them & then at a much later date do it again, and pay a larger share after we have left numerous years later.... Presuming that the EU doesn't grow further and invite Turkey or other Eastern European countries etc into the EU.

Of course, the same would apply to the UK, who have both initially agreed to projects that will receive major EU funding. That wouldn't be applicable too, we would have to find the money on our own.

Thank you for the precision and it would appear to back up the claim I was making. Stating, as Mr Francois did, that leaving the EU without a deal would allow us to spend the 39 billion on home projects is, at the very least, being economical with the truth.

Back