• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brexit negotiations thread

So, have I got this right? The cabinet are meeting today............"The Showdown at the Customs Coral." The fight is between the hard-line Brexiters and those who would wish to keep some kind of Custom Union as an option......a 'custom partnership. This is domestic, isn't it? Haven't the EU rejected, out of hand, this kind of solution anyway??? I suppose this will be fudged and kicked down the road..........but the road's running out isn't it?...............and then there's the cliff?

So, have I got this right? The cabinet are meeting today............"The Showdown at the Customs Coral." The fight is between the hard-line Brexiters and those who would wish to keep some kind of Custom Union as an option......a 'custom partnership. This is domestic, isn't it? Haven't the EU rejected, out of hand, this kind of solution anyway??? I suppose this will be fudged and kicked down the road..........but the road's running out isn't it?...............and then there's the cliff?

Yes.Should be a lot more domestic fudge on offer between now and June,probaly all the way to October too.:smiles:

Yes.Should be a lot more domestic fudge on offer between now and June,probaly all the way to October too.:smiles:
my prediction all along was that Brexit would not happen as the Tories would make such a hash of the negotiations but even I am shocked that they are still discussing in the confines of the cabinet some of the fundamentals. We are continually told the public knew what they were voting for - so how come the cabinet don't?

Just don’t bother with a border in potato land .. let the EU put one up. The smuggling potential is enormous ..
The ports of Liverpool and Belfast will be awash with cheap fags and boozeimmigrants. Both cities will be richerlarger than London by 2025!

It would certainly be one in the eye for those who wanted to take back control of our borders.

Not really. An open border NI border , which is fine by the U.K. .. means anyone can trudge across it . ( if that’s what the northern Irish want ). But it doesn’t meAn you get a house, benefits, free health care etc ..
As for making it to the mainland. Well you will need a passport or I.D. To get on a ferry or plane so that border is back under control. Well as much control as the border force can manage these days ..
Alas that won’t happen as the EU will insist on a hard border and probably tender the job out to the French or something

Not really. An open border NI border , which is fine by the U.K. .. means anyone can trudge across it . ( if that’s what the northern Irish want ). But it doesn’t meAn you get a house, benefits, free health care etc ..
As for making it to the mainland. Well you will need a passport or I.D. To get on a ferry or plane so that border is back under control. Well as much control as the border force can manage these days ..
Alas that won’t happen as the EU will insist on a hard border and probably tender the job out to the French or something

Highly unlikely, as the third fallback solution ,which the UK has already signed up to, specifically excludes this possiblity.

So you would welcome the UK crashing out of the EU on WTO terms then? :omg:
It looks increasingly likely parliament will have a say in that and would not permit it. This seems to sum up the situation pretty well.

"Labour MP Tulip Siddiq, of the anti-Brexit group Best for Britain, said: “We are 331 days until UK becomes a third country under EU law, and the government can’t decide between two options already rejected by the other side of the negotiation. It is farcical. The Brexit war cabinet is more like a warring cabinet that is split completely down the middle. They have no plan and no clue.”

So you would welcome the UK crashing out of the EU on WTO terms then? :omg:
I would most certainly. ., and the sooner they call it the better..
also the phrase ‘crash out’ is sssoooo bbc. Why not just say leave...
I mean we could ‘stay’ in the customs union. Or we could ‘go grovelling to Brussels to let them tell us what we can or can’t do for the next 20 years’ ��

I mean we could ‘stay’ in the customs union. Or we could ‘go grovelling to Brussels to let them tell us what we can or can’t do for the next 20 years’ ��
problem for Leavers is that May is grovelling to the DUP and EU and throwing money at both to try to keep things ticking along and being dictated to members of her own cabinet at the same time. Clock is ticking and nothing is being agreed and it will all collapse in on itself

I agree totally. Which is why we should crash out today..
the eu will be back within a fortnight trying to broker a deal. After a load of pr crap on the bbc et al

House prices fall a fair bit last month according to story on radio news; the cause put down to a slow down in demand.
Is this an initial Brexit bonus for first time buyers?

House prices fall a fair bit last month according to story on radio news; the cause put down to a slow down in demand.
Is this an initial Brexit bonus for first time buyers?

I sincerely hope so as I don't intend to sell either of mine for another 15 years, by which time this will all be just a watermark in social history. Something has to happen to give the younger generation at least a glimmer of hope of getting themselves on to the property market. I don't believe we've reached the point of no return with regard to a full on generation of 'renters' but we're close, unless something gives and the market balances itself out. And I say all that from the point of view of a landlord.

problem for Leavers is that May is grovelling to the DUP and EU and throwing money at both to try to keep things ticking along and being dictated to members of her own cabinet at the same time. Clock is ticking and nothing is being agreed and it will all collapse in on itself

FWIW,I'm more and more convinced that there won't be a Brexit deal,which means we'll crash out on WTO terms but what about the border situation in Ireland? :omg:

I sincerely hope so as I don't intend to sell either of mine for another 15 years, by which time this will all be just a watermark in social history. Something has to happen to give the younger generation at least a glimmer of hope of getting themselves on to the property market. I don't believe we've reached the point of no return with regard to a full on generation of 'renters' but we're close, unless something gives and the market balances itself out. And I say all that from the point of view of a landlord.

I remember John Prescott being criticisied for having two Jags.but this is something else!

FWIW, I agree with your second comment but not with your conclusion.Radical thinking is required but 10,0000 quid handouts to 25 year olds won't cut it.

I remember John Prescott being criticisied for having two Jags.but this is something else

I remember John Prescott being criticised for throwing two jabs... Now that's what I call passion in politics!!...knock out your electorate....and still win praise... it's the way forward!!

lol. The youth of today whine about not being able to afford a house. .. Er bollocks.
Back in 84 I had to work two jobs to buy a house on fking canvey with my missus.
It didn’t reach its purchase price till 92.. with no inflation adjustment.
No iPhones. No 200 quid trainers , no Louis whatever handbags .. it was hoffmiester beer in cans from key markets on pay day as they were on sale and a walk along the sea wall to benfleet station to get to work

If my old man read this he would slap me for whining about the luxury of it all ��

lol. The youth of today whine about not being able to afford a house. .. Er bollocks.
Back in 84 I had to work two jobs to buy a house on fking canvey with my missus.
It didn’t reach its purchase price till 92.. with no inflation adjustment.
No iPhones. No 200 quid trainers , no Louis whatever handbags .. it was hoffmiester beer in cans from key markets on pay day as they were on sale and a walk along the sea wall to benfleet station to get to work

If my old man read this he would slap me for whining about the luxury of it all
I bought my first house with a £3,000 deposit, if my kids wanted to buy that same house they'd need a £50,000 deposit and my eldest is only 4 years younger than I was when I was a property owner. They have been ****ed over pure and simple, it's nothing to do with trainers and Starbucks - that is an extremely obvious lie designed to make their generation blame themselves for being ****ed over

Back