• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southchurch

Manager⭐
One hell of a lot of talk on here last season regarding our style of play. Pleading with P.S.to change our style and try to play some football. The biggest change, players wise, has been Prosser who has improved no end in this regard (made captain V Accrington.)

So how do we now compare to last season at this stage.

Today- Played 31 points 47 scored 44 goals 7th.
A year back- Played 31 points 59 scored 57 goals Top of the league.

So the hoof was working but are we happier now?

From top of the league we ended up 4th.
Where does every one think we will end this season?

My feeling is we will not make the play offs. Based on our current poor form and also the horrible injury list.

I can only presume you have added this article for discussion - some interesting statistics as well.

A clear "no" from me. Much prefer the style of football we are mainly playing this season .... and it is the position at the end of the season that counts not after 11, 21 or 31 games.

Still I am concerned that the team has been grinding out 1-0 games (or a lucky 1-1 on Saturday) and the relatively significant team changes that we are having to make. And the games are coming thick and fast. We could really have done without The Cresswell Crazies on Saturday. :sad:

No doubt Sturrock will look to the loan market to help the situation but I can't help feeling that we have had too many players missing or not firing properly this season .......... Harris, Eastwood and Benyon to start with. Quite expensive given the size of the squad.

A big well done to Barry Corr - battled back from injury and puts 100% in every time he is on the pitch.

A well timed "hoof" has its place in the game, and is sometimes much better (and safer) than trying to play the ball out of defence. "Long ball" which is actually what was being played last season, rather than "hoofing", also has its place. A long ball forward for Tomlin or Britt to run onto was working well when we had them both fit.

What, for me, has changed is that we are no longer looking to one player (Ryan Hall) to place those type of passes to, and instead, we're mainly running the ball out of defence. It's far better for us supporters in my opinion, although it is kind of exciting when one of those long balls come off and our forwards are one on one with the 'keeper!

I would take last seasons point tally without even thinking about it, **ck the style. Obviously the direct style of last season was far more effective than the perceived better style of this season. Give me points every time

Rattus, OBl, leeblue.
Would be interested in your answer to my final question and every one else too.

One hell of a lot of talk on here last season regarding our style of play. Pleading with P.S.to change our style and try to play some football. The biggest change, players wise, has been Prosser who has improved no end in this regard (made captain V Accrington.)

My feeling is we will not make the play offs. Based on our current poor form and also the horrible injury list.

Sorry did we not just win 3 in a row and draw 1 ? Admittedly one was a cup game, yet was against a league one side. Performances could be better, but we have only conceded one goals in four games. Saturday was disappointing, but our form isnt exactly terrible.

As for the style of football, last years worked until November then we were awful and dropping like a stone and only when we brought Freddy back and played less hoof did we get back on track, and almost made the automatics.

We will finish in play offs, and still have a chance of the automatics.

Before answering your question , please explain what this means , because frankly it makes no sense to me !

Before answering your question , please explain what this means , because frankly it makes no sense to me !

He probably means performance-wise rather than results-wise. The players have admitted it themselves recently that they've not been playing well. I'm not particularly concerned though as we're still picking up points.

Saturday was a great example of that where after falling behind and going a man down I thought we could crumble but we battled back and got a point from a game we didnt deserve. Who knows how important that could be come the end of the season.

Come on. We have won 1-0 twice ( league games) and even on here they were described as smash and grabs. We could and probably should have lost both of them. At Accrington we again got away with a poor performance against a very poor team on a bad run. I can quite easily see us not winning for a while unless form changes quickly. Does that explain?

Come on. We have won 1-0 twice ( league games) and even on here they were described as smash and grabs. We could and probably should have lost both of them. At Accrington we again got away with a poor performance against a very poor team on a bad run. I can quite easily see us not winning for a while unless form changes quickly. Does that explain?

The same can be said of the way we played last year. There were plenty of games in the unbeaten run where we smashed and grabbed.

The way we played was good for 3 months last season, but then we went into freefall playing like that and it was only when we changed that our form turned around.

We are not actually in poor form (you cant dismiss the Orient win in our form) and I dont see why panic buttons should be pressed to revert to a style that was awful to watch, and was in the end actually failing.

Not really.
7 points from 9 in the League.
A win ( well deserved in case that is your point again ) away to a team in good form and a League above us.
1 goal against in 4 games.
Hardly poor form............................

Our form has been pretty good, having said that I'm expecting it to tail off now we've lost Cresswell and Timlin. :thumbdown:

I don't think you can compare this season's points tally with last to be fair, there's not enough consistencies there. For example last season we had the likes of Hall, Grant, Ferdinand, Dickinson, Mohsni etc all as regular starters - we don't have any of those this season.

We've done well this year and the style of play is far more pleasing on the eye, Sturrock's doing a fine job as he always has. Let's just hope these injuries and suspensions to key players don't cost us the chance of promotion (and a Wembley final to boot).

Back