• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Bristol Rovers 4-2 Southend United

Hi, Rovers fan in peace.

Yesterday's game astounded me! I thought you destroyed us in the first half, I couldn't have complained if you had scored 4 in all honesty. We simply surrendered the midfield to you and kept playing a stupid sideways and backwards passing game, advancing with Tectonic pace giving you time to keep your shape and play down down the sides.

I said to my lad at half time that the game was gone and the most we could hope for was to salvage some pride. I could see from the 2nd half kick-off that GC had changed the system of play and you looked in trouble from the first moment. We should have scored in the 46th minute, and once JCH won his pen(he's good at that, he knows what to do, although it was a pen) I knew we would go on to win.

The problem is your players obviously have no confidence and perhaps no real leader on the pitch to pull them together.

A couple of questions if I may.
1) What did you think of Coughlan and were you sad to see him fired with Captain perma-tan and
2) your number 9 Hopper. How do you rate him, how old is he, how long is his contract etc, because he looked a class act.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.

I rate GC - no nonsense character with high standards , his half time talk was that the Xmas party was being cancelled and they would be training today - obviously worked .
hopper is decent and won’t be with us next season

I was at the game and it was definitely in the first half - showed me that Brown had lost the plot.

EDIT:- That match must have been the previous season (16/17) as I did not go in December 2017 despite having a ticket - there was a train strike and I could not get to the match - and did not go last season as I was on holiday

Nice one squire.

Time certainly flies these days........

Both matches were an indictment of the orange one.

why are all these posts about old games old managers and old times on here ?

Is it cos you dont go to the game ?

OK then.

In no particular order:

We were excellent going forward in the first half delivering a number of good crosses especially from Goodship.

In the first half Rovers tactics mirrored ours against Oxford and, like Oxford, we took advantage twice but should have had four goals - a Macca chance at the far post and an effort that hit the post.

Nathan was lucky that, when he was daydreaming and picked up a back pass, Rovers didn’t take advantage.

Having seen every game this season I foresaw the second half performance and cashed in my tenner at 5-1 for £48.

Our defence is not even Conference South standard.

Elvis and Nathan have been great but they are shell shocked.

Kiernan is worse than Steve Hatter and Warren May. At least they gave their best and tried every game. Kiernan couldn’t care less and as usual was a disgrace.

Milligan is worse than John Spicer. At least JS had the decency to recognise his own incompetence and disappeared after getting himself sent off. He is lazy, uninspiring and a waste of a shirt.

Dieng is a midfielder who doesn’t like to run around. Centre back ought to be a good position for him but he is hopeless in the air and constantly out of position.

Macca is improving, Demi was hard working, Mantom is doing well, Goodship ought to be up alongside Hopper, can play football and knows where the goal is.

Hopper is a star and if we weren’t such **** I’m sure there would be Championship clubs looking to pay £500k £750k for him.

Humphreys came on and put in a shift - he’s surprisingly quick for a big man- and had one very good run and shot in the second half.

So half of our team are fine as are John White and Hutchinson who didn’t play.

We need an experienced keeper, an entire defence and to get rid of the bad apples particularly Milligan, Lennon and Kiernan.

I went into the game with low expectations and really enjoyed the first half. No Oxley, no sideways passing at the back and no five man defence plus sweeper in front - what’s not to like? They all did their best (Milligan and Kiernan excepted) but with that defence we have very little chance unless we attack all game as we did in the first half.

The vitriol aimed at our players should be better targeted.

Is that better?

Now let’s go back to old times.

It wasn’t that long ago that we were four down at Rovers after about 30 minutes and Lambert had got all of them........or when Anthony put through his own goal in the last seconds to lose us another game at Rovers.......or Harrold scored a penalty four minutes from the end to condemn us to another defeat at the Memorial Ground.

Happy days.

A couple of questions if I may.
1) What did you think of Coughlan and were you sad to see him fired with Captain perma-tan and
2) your number 9 Hopper. How do you rate him, how old is he, how long is his contract etc, because he looked a class act.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.

I didn't think Cocko went when Brown did, I am sure he worked with Powell when he was here.

Tom Hopper has just come back from a long stint out with an ACL , he's 26 and under contract till 2021. Our best player.

1st Half excellent, partly due to our own tactics, less square passes and we focused on moving the ball forward quicker and partly Due to Rovers being gash. From speaking to their fans pre-match they said they've been awful to watch most of the season.

Highlights of the first half:
Hopper was class and caused them problems all day, a real handful.
Macca looked fit, plenty of energy and involved in most things we did going forward including the great ball for Goodship - was also a great run.
Goodship, generally neat and tidy and works hard - whilst I think he's never gonna be a 20 goal man for us he is worth keeping....plus he's probably cheap.
Elvis - as usual did well.

2nd Half, it was clearly obvious that Bristol Rovers were not going to play that badly again and nearly scored within what seemed like 10 seconds straight from kick off - this got their crowd going, we were already defending desperately 2 mins into the 2nd half, I don't think anyone stood on that terrace saw anything other than a home win. They didnt play pretty football, they just bypassed the midfield and squeezed us and we folded. All shape, tactics & organisation from the first half had gone and it seemed like a different game and all the work was undone within 10 mins of the half. We never looked like getting back into it.

Humprehys came on and looked pretty sharp considering lack of football recently, deceptively quick I'd say. Should we ever been in a luxury position to play 2 up top then Humphreys and Hopper as a pair could cause teams problems.

It's interesting to note that pretty much every Gashead I spoke to wasn't convinced by Coughlan and his style of football. At the end of the day he rescued them from relegation last season - a real possibility as they were not getting results under Darrell Clarke (similarities to PB perhaps..many fans didn't want him sacked). This season so far they are top 6. It's not pretty but it's effective. Whether Rovers can keep it up all season remains to be seen, but interesting. On another thread it was pointed out that GC wouldn't have stood for certain things. Others have said that all we need is a good organised manager to play tactics to suit and get this rabble focused. However based on Rovers' fans thoughts on GC, he'd have been moaned at and criticised just as much as CP I reckon, had he been handed the reigns (and I can see why he wasn't). I honestly don't think we'd be where we are though.

Our fans wanted Coughlan gone along with Horton......Ferdinand, Turner, Lazy Wordsworth, Can't Pass Timlin etc......Because we demand clean sweeps. When your a historic lower league club, with a crap stadium but hugely impressive debt. Apparently clean sweeps are the answer........Because you cant have West Ham or Arsenal fans laugh at you at work.

Which is exactly why we need to be a bit careful now. Yes, some players need moving on, but with others it really is a case of mentality. And patience. The last 2 games, in spells, we have dominated opposition - away from home. Yes we've ultimately just got the 1 point but we have to look at the positives. Sol is working on it. He's limited in his options. I wonder if Ron gave GC one of those 'exit interviews' .. what in your opinion is wrong? What would you change? Doubtful, though Ron might do well to listen now,.

Im sure we wouldnt have been best please if ron had rushed out and appointed a recently sacked bristols no.2 and under 23 coach who we'd never heard of....

He knows the league well and what it takes though. Not working first half? Switch it up tactically and win. What more can you ask.

I get the impression it was personality clash with ron. That and his penchant for wanting a 'big name'.

BRISTOL Rovers boss Graham Coughlan threatened to cancel Christmas in a bid to spark his side back into life against Southend United.

More...

Personally, I'd like to know why AB wasn't appointed manager.After all he was interviewed for the post.Anyone know,or think they do?
I thought it was already stated on here that once Harris left Millwall removes permission for us to speak to him.
Why we didn’t offer him the job before that point- I’ve no idea

Our fans wanted Coughlan gone along with Horton......Ferdinand, Turner, Lazy Wordsworth, Can't Pass Timlin etc......Because we demand clean sweeps. When your a historic lower league club, with a crap stadium but hugely impressive debt. Apparently clean sweeps are the answer........Because you cant have West Ham or Arsenal fans laugh at you at work.
Sorry rigsby, I’ve quoted you but it could have been a number of posters“Our fans” all have very different opinions on almost everything ( except we are all agreed we are crap at the moment).
I can never take any post seriously (tombstone was the worse) that talks about the fan base as though they all have the same opinion.its simply not true the majority of the time.

Certainly done the trick , just shows what a rocket up the a£££ can do to footballers these days . Would of our lot responded in such a way ?

I thought it was already stated on here that once Harris left Millwall removes permission for us to speak to him.
Why we didn’t offer him the job before that point- I’ve no idea

Yes this is correct. Unfortunately Tangled Ron didn't have use of your crystal ball, otherwise he would have known Harris would walk and got a move on with AB.

I don't no but i'm guessing there's more than a good chance AB didn't even know Millwall would suddenly block the talks. Otherwise he may well be our manger.......Not that it would be the right time. That will be sometime in the future.

Sorry rigsby, I’ve quoted you but it could have been a number of posters“Our fans” all have very different opinions on almost everything ( except we are all agreed we are crap at the moment).
I can never take any post seriously (tombstone was the worse) that talks about the fan base as though they all have the same opinion.its simply not true the majority of the time.

I never take any post seriously. Of course when I say our fans love a clean sweep its P take at those that clog up threads with the same and pointless "sack the lot of them" nonsense. I'm sure most of you good people know that would never work and just laugh at it.......Until it gets boring.

If everyone was a bit more lighthearted then Toomstone would still be posting instead of arguing with everyone. Yes I did try with him and had several good PM's. I thought as someone who has fallen foul of the strict regime we post under i could give him some advice. Alas it didn't work and he is no more. Our glorious leaders had no choice.

Anyway I must dash as i'm hanging two rather large pictures in my grand entrance hall. So that all my guests can pay homage to Pol Cricko and Kim Jong-Hank.......Smile everyone and enjoy L1 why we can.......They say L2 will be terrible.

Back