• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Bristol Rovers 4-2 Southend United

Certainly done the trick , just shows what a rocket up the a£££ can do to footballers these days . Would of our lot responded in such a way ?
Yeah I wonder where our players are going for their Christmas Party. Can't wait for the hilarious fancy dress photos.

you could tell them that their contracts are being torn up if they lose the next game and a number still wouldn't put a shift in to save their jobs

Personally, I'd like to know why AB wasn't appointed manager.After all he was interviewed for the post.Anyone know,or think they do?

Even AB and his magic wand probably wouldn't have worked miracles with this lot. There's half a decent team there, so I don't agree with this sack the lot of them business. There's a few that take absolutely no notice of any manager that's shouting instructions. The times I have heard shouted ''PUSH UP'', and the back four stay where they are, with the manager left exasperated. A couple are not ready for the first team. We are again cursed with injuries this season, and don't get me started on penalties, as every time there's contact in our penalty box it seems to be given as a foul and penalty, and vice versa, no foul. I still believe in Sol Campbell and his team, it's some of the players, and their troublesome attitude I don't believe in.

All good sides have a leader type character at centre-half controlling and managing things.

Our most successful periods recently have been when either AB or Anton have been at the back.

Look at other clubs and the likes of Terry at Chelsea and Kompany at Man City, to name but two, stand out. Compare to say an Arsenal, who sadly lack in this department.

Sol shouldn't have to bark out instructions about pushing up. A natural leader at the back would have control of this and also ensure the likes of Elvis don't go AWOL.

This is the highest person on the shopping list. Afterwards, I think things will start to fall into place.

I'd look at the post above. Ron goes for "names". If it all goes tits up with Campbell it could wreck the club.

AB is one of the biggest names in the history of SUFC.But I know what you mean
I'd look at the post above. Ron goes for "names". If it all goes tits up with Campbell it could wreck the club.

AB is one of the biggest "names" in the history of SUFC but I get your point.

Yes this is correct. Unfortunately Tangled Ron didn't have use of your crystal ball, otherwise he would have known Harris would walk and got a move on with AB.

I don't no but i'm guessing there's more than a good chance AB didn't even know Millwall would suddenly block the talks. Otherwise he may well be our manger.......Not that it would be the right time. That will be sometime in the future.

No crystal ball, unfortunately.

I fully agree with your last comment.

He may be a Shrimper legend, but outside of SUFC Adam Barrett means nothing. Brown/Powell and now Campbell (less so Bond & Waddock) gain press attention.

I really worry if we're down the arse-end of Lg2 this time next year the club could go the same way as Bury & probably Macclesfield. It'll be too expensive to sack Campbell.

He may be a Shrimper legend, but outside of SUFC Adam Barrett means nothing. Brown/Powell and now Campbell (less so Bond & Waddock) gain press attention.

I really worry if we're down the arse-end of Lg2 this time next year the club could go the same way as Bury & probably Macclesfield. It'll be too expensive to sack Campbell.

I get your point. However, we are making small strides. On Tuesday and again Saturday Sol set the team up well and we looked like a proper football team and certainly not one rooted to the foot of the table. What Sol cant seem to get out of this lot is a consistent 90 mins. Added to this is that we are a team of players that simply have forgotten how to win football matches and as much as Sol can work tactically and on fitness, for me there are huge mental issues throughout the team, in mental, i mean that they have no confidence and therefore once we go up against teams that attack again and again we panic and ultimately stop doing all the good things and stop doing the basics.

Saturday for those of us there will live long in the memory. You will not see a game of two halves more than what was witnessed Saturday. The Rovers fans i spoke to said that we were by far one of the best teams they had seen in the first half and couldnt believe we were the team with only 6 points. What we all witnessed second half showed exactly why we are a team on only 6 points. Listen to Sols comments after the game and it says ll you need to know about this squad. We simply need to clear out and rebuild. There is no hiding from the fact that we will be relegated, but with the right recruitment i do believe we have seen enough from Sol in the last week or so to trust that he can rebuild a team capable of doing well next season

I hope at some point people will stop asking why we didn't get AB. Milwall didn't to let go and that's it.

I get your point. However, we are making small strides. On Tuesday and again Saturday Sol set the team up well and we looked like a proper football team and certainly not one rooted to the foot of the table. What Sol cant seem to get out of this lot is a consistent 90 mins. Added to this is that we are a team of players that simply have forgotten how to win football matches and as much as Sol can work tactically and on fitness, for me there are huge mental issues throughout the team, in mental, i mean that they have no confidence and therefore once we go up against teams that attack again and again we panic and ultimately stop doing all the good things and stop doing the basics.

Saturday for those of us there will live long in the memory. You will not see a game of two halves more than what was witnessed Saturday. The Rovers fans i spoke to said that we were by far one of the best teams they had seen in the first half and couldnt believe we were the team with only 6 points. What we all witnessed second half showed exactly why we are a team on only 6 points. Listen to Sols comments after the game and it says ll you need to know about this squad. We simply need to clear out and rebuild. There is no hiding from the fact that we will be relegated, but with the right recruitment i do believe we have seen enough from Sol in the last week or so to trust that he can rebuild a team capable of doing well next season

Another top post @shrimperjon . Nothing polarises what we are and what we could be more than Saturday's performance.

I really think we aren't a million miles away from being a decent side. The defence needs sorting and the confidence will develop from there.

I hope at some point people will stop asking why we didn't get AB. Milwall didn't to let go and that's it.

Half true.

Ron dragged his heels on it. Obviously he didn’t know Harris would quit, and ‘Wall would subsequently block the move, but still, the opportunity was there, if he’d acted faster.

FWIW, I wanted a Tilly & AB partnership above anything else, but with hindsight, it’d be criminal to expect two legends of the club to wreck their reputations, dealing with this current abomination.

Thankfully, that opportunity isn’t dead in the water, and we will certainly see AB managing us one day.

Another top post @shrimperjon . Nothing polarises what we are and what we could be more than Saturday's performance.

I really think we aren't a million miles away from being a decent side. The defence needs sorting and the confidence will develop from there.

Mentioned it on one of the threads in the last couple of days but have to agree, bring in one strong, vocal organiser at the back and in the middle and we will improve so much!

At the moment our players are too quiet.

OK then.

In no particular order:

We were excellent going forward in the first half delivering a number of good crosses especially from Goodship.

In the first half Rovers tactics mirrored ours against Oxford and, like Oxford, we took advantage twice but should have had four goals - a Macca chance at the far post and an effort that hit the post.

Nathan was lucky that, when he was daydreaming and picked up a back pass, Rovers didn’t take advantage.

Having seen every game this season I foresaw the second half performance and cashed in my tenner at 5-1 for £48.

Our defence is not even Conference South standard.

Elvis and Nathan have been great but they are shell shocked.

Kiernan is worse than Steve Hatter and Warren May. At least they gave their best and tried every game. Kiernan couldn’t care less and as usual was a disgrace.

Milligan is worse than John Spicer. At least JS had the decency to recognise his own incompetence and disappeared after getting himself sent off. He is lazy, uninspiring and a waste of a shirt.

Dieng is a midfielder who doesn’t like to run around. Centre back ought to be a good position for him but he is hopeless in the air and constantly out of position.

Macca is improving, Demi was hard working, Mantom is doing well, Goodship ought to be up alongside Hopper, can play football and knows where the goal is.

Hopper is a star and if we weren’t such **** I’m sure there would be Championship clubs looking to pay £500k £750k for him.

Humphreys came on and put in a shift - he’s surprisingly quick for a big man- and had one very good run and shot in the second half.

So half of our team are fine as are John White and Hutchinson who didn’t play.

We need an experienced keeper, an entire defence and to get rid of the bad apples particularly Milligan, Lennon and Kiernan.

I went into the game with low expectations and really enjoyed the first half. No Oxley, no sideways passing at the back and no five man defence plus sweeper in front - what’s not to like? They all did their best (Milligan and Kiernan excepted) but with that defence we have very little chance unless we attack all game as we did in the first half.

The vitriol aimed at our players should be better targeted.

Is that better?

Now let’s go back to old times.

It wasn’t that long ago that we were four down at Rovers after about 30 minutes and Lambert had got all of them........or when Anthony put through his own goal in the last seconds to lose us another game at Rovers.......or Harrold scored a penalty four minutes from the end to condemn us to another defeat at the Memorial Ground.

Happy days.

Well said matey

IN the build-up to Saturday’s clash at Bristol Rovers, Southend United boss Sol Campbell revealed how he had often turned down requests to appear in the hit ITV show I’m a Celebrity.

More...

Which has zero effect on a managers ability.......Yet another total football myth.

I reckon AB will turn out to be a much better manager than Sol (hopefully for us).
Sol cares enough about winning and enough about his own career to succeed with Southend. Not sure caring about SUFC will change what's going on at the moment.

I agree with your last comment but please see my reply to R above.

Back