• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Bristol Rovers 4-2 Southend United

Just back from another what if and maybe away game. First half we were brilliant and I mean brilliant. We looked organised, committed, hunted in pairs, quick on the break and 2-0 didn't actually do us justice. We could have had 3 or 4. BR only got near our goal twice, once from a free kick and once after Bish bizarrely picked up what clearly was a back pass. Possibly the best half of football we have played and a BR fan on the way out said that was the best any team has played against them at The Mem. So proves that at times we can compete.

What we witnessed in the second half was simply awful, defensively. Going forward we still created 4 good chances, but at the back we lost our shape and discipline. The midfield stopped doing what it had in the first half and BR grab our bollocks and tore them off. BR went route one and we simply couldn't cope. Once the first goal went in you knew a second would follow and then inevitably a third and the the forth. Did the players stop trying, hard to say. The loss of Hopper was a big blow for sure and JD had played well but ran out of steam.

I still back sol moving forward, but he must build for next season as clearly most of this squad dint give a ****.

Macca, Goodship, Bish, Elvis, Hopper, Dieng all deserve credit and you could see at the end how much it hurt. Mantom worked hard and Humphrys put in a shift and was unlucky not to score. Kiernan, Hamilton, Milligan, and young Taylor simply not good enough, although harsh on Taylor. Cox is a goner for me, even in warm up he didn't seem to give a ****

Hard few months ahead and we all know this season has gone for us so all about building for next season and for Sol to see who has the balls for the fight which league two will be

That sums up how it sounded to me from the radio.

Some positives, but it's now clear than ever where the issues are.

Sometimes posters deserve this, they wanted Brown out, Powell saviour blame it on injuries, Bond never liked so no chance , Waddock never stood a chance and now a manager who cannot buy a win but happy for him to be given to next season
Unbelievable really !!

Sometimes posters deserve this, they wanted Brown out, Powell saviour blame it on injuries, Bond never liked so no chance , Waddock never stood a chance and now a manager who cannot buy a win but happy for him to be given to next season
Unbelievable really !!
You forget many people know more than their teams manager !!!!! I wanted Sol originally but I know feel ill at ease having a manager who publicly said through his barrister he wants 145 year old Macclesfield Town to be wound up

an appalling set of posts on this thread ... ..

obviously very few of these posters went to the game and know very little of how it went down apart from the score ..

anyway ....

anyone who was there saw a good first half of convincing, fast and effective football from SUFC ..

the penalty really seemed to knock the confidence and we immediately looked frail and likley to concede as we did.

Hopper going off was a major loss .

anyone who wants make ridiculous ignorant or stupid and abusive remarks abour players is welcome -

people who want to discuss the stadium are welcome

peopel who want to fight the moderators are welcome

people who want to moan and be unhappy are welcome

BUT I would love to more comments about the game .. I note Wiggys sensible comments ..

Unbelievable really !!
You forget many people know more than their teams manager !!!! I wanted Sol originally but I now feel ill at ease having a manager who publicly said though his barrister he wants a 145 year old Macclesfield Town football club wound up

I can understand Sol's comments and how he is feeling. I think it's pretty similar to all of us.

The positives were:

Hopper once more proving what a handful he is and he has an end product.

Goodship, class finish and surprise, surprise right from the middle at the edge of the box.

Demetriou was effective in midfield.

Macca showed some nice touches.

The first half we actually looked like a competitive football team. And for 45 minutes it made me feel good on a Saturday again!!!

I am going to leave it at that, because all the negatives about individual players are still there, as they have been all season. It won't change and highlights that we need a commanding centre back and two full backs who understand how to position themselves defensively. A playmaker in the middle and a box to box midfielder, a wide right midfielder and a target man up front.

That's the 6 or 7 players I believe Sol has identified he needs. I am still backing him to get it right and give him the time he needs as we cannot keep sacking the manager,

. We have a deep rooted issue at this club and it will take a season and a half imo to get it right. that's three transfer windows. I believe Sol will be well on the way after 2 and am prepared to give him the time he deserves, because the fact he shows he is hurting and the improvement that is there tells me he is on the right track.

Last edited:
Don’t read it then.

Passive aggressive ???

I just post what I think and it’s always aimed at making sense

I often agree with you Tombstone. However those who don't (including me sometimes :Smile2:), are given short, and often sarcastic, shrift. Have you ever been wrong? If so, it would be nice to see you admit it occasionally. If you answer no, then my assumptions about you are correct.

The first half brilliant.
Well organised,
Everyone stuck to their task, minimum turnovers, confidence up, goals taken really well and could’ve been 4 up.
I thought and still think there is a good team in there.
But once poor Elvis’ (who was really good first half) poor decision making cost us a penalty, the whole team showed what the problem is.
Completely loosing confidence (which is built on performance) when things go wrong, tunnel vision under pressure and complete lack of any application took over in any ability of being organised.
Seriously, the team needs a sports psychologist.
As we saw, when things go wrong, they loose all perspective, confidence in themselves and each other.
Poor Sol hasn’t got a chance, until they build resilience in themselves and each other, on and off the pitch, in this crisis.
They really need an intervention, to build internal capacity to cope in crisis, trust within a team under extreme pressure and most importantly hope that they can break through.

Thought they were great in the first half....something to build on.
Be nice to have a keeper though that could win you a game rather than diving...or not diving as the case may be, 2 seconds after the ball is in the net!
You seem to have a dislike to Nathan in all your posts,. I’m sure you would still find fault when everyone else is praising him. Has he got off with your girlfriend/wife ?

Thought they were great in the first half....something to build on.
Be nice to have a keeper though that could win you a game rather than diving...or not diving as the case may be, 2 seconds after the ball is in the net!

Sorry but which one of the four goals is his fault, the penalty is a 50/50 chance, second and third goals he has no chance with and the fourth should have been dealt with by the defence. Bish is a young keeper playing behind an awful defence. Sure he makes mistakes but that's part and parcel of being a young professional. He also made some good saves in this game , although picking up the back pass was odd

You seem to have a dislike to Nathan in all your posts,. I’m sure you would still find fault when everyone else is praising him. Has he got off with your girlfriend/wife ?

....sorry but he is just too small, has poor positioning and is slow to react to anything. He may be young but he isn’t good enough and Oxley is no better. Keepers win games, our two go through the motions although admit Bishop looks the keener.
Shopping list....new keeper required!

I often agree with you Tombstone. However those who don't (including me sometimes :Smile2:), are given short, and often sarcastic, shrift. Have you ever been wrong? If so, it would be nice to see you admit it occasionally. If you answer no, then my assumptions about you are correct.

I think he's been banned @rayleigh dan

Remember when we played Rovers away two years ago. Apparently back then It couldn't get any worse. A lot has happened since then and lets just say.....Its been emotional.

Clean sheets anyone?

Back