• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Bristol Rovers vs Southend United 7th December 2019 15:00hrs ko

What's your starting 11 for Saturday and what do you think the result will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SOUTHEND United striker Stephen Humphrys will be looking to show Bristol Rovers what they missed out on this weekend.

More...

Interesting comments from Coughlan.

“I had to put up with a lot of nonsense when I was there and turn a blind eye to things I wouldn’t have put up with if I was the manager.

I wonder what he's referring to?

Ranger? Mohsni? Other things?

It is a shame they didn’t get the promotions that they might have done, perhaps Ron regrets that a touch. It’s difficult though, as chairman if you think the dressing room is lost (end of the Brown era) it might not feel the right thing to promote from within. Then a new manager comes in, wants his own team and you lose Coughlan. Similar happens again at the end of the Powell era and we lose Maher.

Sometimes you have to take a loss to learn from it. Two in quick succession will make the point land. Others may snipe at Ron, but I think he’ll be aware of this and in my opinion he’s done his best to learn from past mistakes over the years - remembering that there’s no certainties in life.

Good luck to Graham and Kev, they were both fantastic servants to our club over many years. I wish them nothing but huge success.

“I had to put up with a lot of nonsense when I was there and turn a blind eye to things I wouldn’t have put up with if I was the manager.

I wonder what he's referring to?

Ranger? Mohsni? Other things?

Exactly what I was thinking.

There's a lot to read between the lines in some of his statements and difficult to know what, as well.

Exactly what I was thinking.

There's a lot to read between the lines in some of his statements and difficult to know what, as well.

Maybe Timlin as well.

No wonder we were (and still are) in such a hole if there are so many different things he could be referring to!

So it's Saturday, another match day and another afternoon of waiting and wondering what Southend team will turn up for this one. I'm not making the journey up to Bristol so it's BBC Essex Radio for me which, I'm starting to think, is the worst way to stay in touch with the game. I don't know about any of you guys but when I'm listening my imagination is running wild with the descriptions the commentators give out. The saving grace is if Glen Pennyfather or the Viking are co-commentating, then I get a clearer picture of what's happening.

So good luck to all those travelling up to Bristol today, please let us get something out of this game, even if it's only a decent performance. Being a Southend supporter has never been easy, but this season it's been very grim. Even so, the optimist in me still thinks today's the day when we burst alive and whack the opposition.

COYB.:LoyalSupporter:

Well as I’m going with a few mates who are Rovers and occasionally used to go to the Mem when living down here, I’ll be in the home end. Will be frustrating if we score but be interesting to hear the opposing fans’ view on the match. Watch us win with a last minute goal while I witness the celebrations from afar and have to stand there silently. Or....we could lose 3-0.

Well as I’m going with a few mates who are Rovers and occasionally used to go to the Mem when living down here, I’ll be in the home end. Will be frustrating if we score but be interesting to hear the opposing fans’ view on the match. Watch us win with a last minute goal while I witness the celebrations from afar and have to stand there silently. Or....we could lose 3-0.
A couple of seasons (2018) back we were playing Portsmouth at Roots Hall and we had two Pompey fans immediately behind us and three in front of us. We actually played really well that day and despatched Portsmouth relatively easily 3-1. When they scored their goal there was very muted 'yep' and then look at their feet moment. I couldn't resist giving the ones in front a nudge after our third goal and asked them if they were enjoying the game. They were all good lads and they announced how impressed they were with The West Road Tap but not the game.

Went to a League Cup game at Portsmouth and there were so few of us, they didn't open the away section and stuck us down the side opposite the camera gantry and in with the home supporters.

We ended up celebrating with them to be on the safe side!

We lost 4-1

A couple of seasons (2018) back we were playing Portsmouth at Roots Hall and we had two Pompey fans immediately behind us and three in front of us. We actually played really well that day and despatched Portsmouth relatively easily 3-1. When they scored their goal there was very muted 'yep' and then look at their feet moment. I couldn't resist giving the ones in front a nudge after our third goal and asked them if they were enjoying the game. They were all good lads and they announced how impressed they were with The West Road Tap but not the game.
I’m hoping my mates don’t stitch me up and announce me loudly as Southend! I’ve been in the home end for many Rovers games over the years but never against us. So will be interesting. They’re a good bunch and like anywhere, if you don’t provoke trouble you’re fine. I’m hoping they’ll all be stunned into silence by our Guardiola style football anyway!

There won’t be any Guardiola style football from us today.....despite Sols apparent determination to play that way, Tuesday saw us probably play more direct with less effort to pass than at any time this season.

After picking up a point, I’d expect more of the same today. An away game v top 6 opponent I’d expect Milligan to return probably in place of one of the attacking players and look to scrap out another one.

Back