• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
Guys

Finally, just 9 days left until I can say my divorce is completely over. Unfortunately, in a last bit of spite, as himself is moving out of the family home, he has contacted all the utility companies and suppliers to cancel all the accounts payable by direct debit under his bank account and cancelled both the BT and Sky packages, rather than transferring things.

Now, our broadband was previously supplied by Sky, which is why we had to have a BT line. I have managed to sort most things out with new mandates and such but Sky are being particularly awkward about the broadband. BT have confirmed there is no problem with their line although it may be "down" for a few hours on switchover day and I will have a few hours of using a temporary new number, however Sky have told me that they cannot just "switch" the broadband over and that I will be without it for between 7 days and 8 weeks! I have taken out a new Sky tv package which will be installed on 1st March (changeover day) - sports at last! - but apparently there is nothing I can do about the broadband because he has cancelled it so effectively I am a new customer.

Has anyone any insight into this or would it be a good time to change providers? I've had a quote from BT but their's looks more expensive than Sky's and they still couldn't do anything for 5 days. My mobile is with Orange but I've no knowledge of their service.

Good people of SZ, it's over to you..................

Don't go with Orange for their broadband service, I was with them for 6 months, and I was lucky to have a constant connection through out the day

Avoid BT like the plague... I've heard nothing but horror stories about their service, particularly in this area. Sky I've found to be pretty reliable and high-speed and, like everything, it's fairly cheap if you choose to have everything through them. Can't say I've heard anything positive/negative about Orange, but the Yorkshire provider (PlusNet?) is meant to be fairly good.

Get back with your husband and everything is sorted.

Lol, Tony, that is NOT an option!!!

Thanks for advice so far, I've not had any problems with Sky just totally ****ed off at their attitude over this. Have heard plenty of horror stories about AOL and used to be with Telewest/Virgin and wasn't too impressed so they're out of the equation.

I can thoroughly recommend Talk Talk.

Have used them now for about 5 years , and the only time I had a problem (dead line) it was rectified within 24 hours. They transferred people trying to ring my land line to my mobile instead...worked a treat.

Broadband is free, and all you have to do is pay the line rental to Talk Talk instead of BT.
I normally hesitate in recommending anything to anybody "just in case", but have no hesitation in this case.

Sorry to hear about divorce, but hope things start to improve now.

Lol, Tony, that is NOT an option!!!

Thanks for advice so far, I've not had any problems with Sky just totally ****ed off at their attitude over this. Have heard plenty of horror stories about AOL and used to be with Telewest/Virgin and wasn't too impressed so they're out of the equation.

Hi OBL, I have been with AOL for many years and have not experienced any problems with them at all in that time

Echo East Greens' sentiments about the future

I can thoroughly recommend Talk Talk.

Have used them now for about 5 years , and the only time I had a problem (dead line) it was rectified within 24 hours. They transferred people trying to ring my land line to my mobile instead...worked a treat.

Broadband is free, and all you have to do is pay the line rental to Talk Talk instead of BT.
I normally hesitate in recommending anything to anybody "just in case", but have no hesitation in this case.

Sorry to hear about divorce, but hope things start to improve now.

What he said. Been with Talk Talk for years, can't remember when I last couldn't connect to t'web.

Talk Talk is only available with phone line too though isn't it? I've just tied into BT for 12 months.

Kay,

Suprised Sky are taking that long to get round! When me and Em moved into our place - i spoke to them a couple of weeks in advance and seemed pretty flexible with days so perhaps they are busy at the moment! I'd say just to keep at them and try and get a day asap and keep hassling them.

Kay,

Suprised Sky are taking that long to get round! When me and Em moved into our place - i spoke to them a couple of weeks in advance and seemed pretty flexible with days so perhaps they are busy at the moment! I'd say just to keep at them and try and get a day asap and keep hassling them.

Good advice Kev, alternatively make the threat that you're going to cancel your order or subscription that normally galvanises them into action.

Kay,

What is even more annoying Kev is that I phoned them at the end of Jan - BT had flooded their junction points or something and about 300 Benfleet homes lost their phone lines and broadband for 5 days as a result, so I was checking it wasn't a fault with them when the broadband went - and told them what would be happening. They said to phone back in mid Feb to sort it out as that would be the right time, and when I did last weekend, that's when I suddenly got told all this! Maybe I just got unlucky with the person at the other end, perhaps I'll have another go.

Yeah thats certainly worth a go. Thats a fair bit of competition in the current market and people will always have good/bad experiences with companies. I've found Sky nothing but helpful. Our wireless channel wasn't right to start with and then we encountered another problem and they were always very helpful and problem sorted in 5/10mins but then i have the whole lot with them so they need to keep me happy! :cheers:

If there's anything i can do nan just send me a message.

For Broadband you simply cannot touch Virgin . If you know someone who is already with Virgin Media then get them to recommend you(discount) or go through a cashback site.
These service providers will haggle with you especially if you get the complete package ie TV,phone etc.

All the best nan.

Obl for the three days that you are disconnected from shrimperzone you might find that fingerprints reappear on your fingers. Don't be alarmed its perfectly normal xx

Obl for the three days that you are disconnected from shrimperzone you might find that fingerprints reappear on your fingers. Don't be alarmed its perfectly normal xx
Lol, I'll still get access elsewhere, don't worry! And thanks to Spartan, however, having previously been with Virgin and before that Telewest, their service was shockingly bad so I won't be choosing that option.

Virgin has improved a lot recently and as spartan said, their internet is ridiculously fast and if u get a cabled connection it has the ability to go a lot faster when they release greater speeds in the future. If your going for a bundle package they also have a new box called TiVo which is better than the sky+ box. Price wise it isnt great though so for internet talktalk will be cheaper etc.

Virgin has improved a lot recently and as spartan said, their internet is ridiculously fast and if u get a cabled connection it has the ability to go a lot faster when they release greater speeds in the future. If your going for a bundle package they also have a new box called TiVo which is better than the sky+ box. Price wise it isnt great though so for internet talktalk will be cheaper etc.

I believe all broadband provided by Virgin is done by fibre optics starting from up to 10mb which i have up to 50mb.Obviously the more you pay the faster the speed you can have.
I've been with Virgin for over 5 years and have never really encountered any problems with their broadband. I prefer Sky tv but since you get discount on packages there's no point splitting it.
Oh and i don't work for Virgin either before any smart arse comes out with that line. I have no time for office workers/pen pushers etc as you know.

Back