• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Broadband speeds - What's yours?

Who are you with DWB, is it BT? If so, could be that you need a new router. We had similar, and as soon as they gave us a new router we were up from 2 to about 25
The very question I was going to ask @BILLERICAY BLUE. I had a similar problem twice with BT. The first time some ******** in the exchange had not set switches correctly after maintenance, the second time BT techs got me to reset my router and my speed went from 9 meg to 35 meg imediately the router was back up.

Just out of interest I'm with BT. I'm not techy enough to know why I get such a different speed to DWB.
Assuming you are happy with the speed you get, then you don't have DWB's problem, and with a line speed of 2mbs, DWB certainly has a problem.

I get over100 mbps so I'm confused. Why is it so different?
Could be for many reasons. It is possible that DWB's connection is fibre and copper wire. Fibre from the exchange to the box in the road and then down the telephone wire to the house. That combination could provide a slower speed, but more likely, there is a fault which needs correcting. Yours sounds as if the have fibre to the house. That would explain your line speed.

Who are you with DWB, is it BT? If so, could be that you need a new router. We had similar, and as soon as they gave us a new router we were up from 2 to about 25

I am with Vodafone, the router isn't a year old yet and it has been a lot nearer the quoted speed in the past. We do have a lot of devices connected to WiFi which won't help and I suspect with most people being at home at the moment, that doesn't help either.

Just ran another speed test and got 6mbps download speed so it does vary.

To be honest, I get 50gb a month with my mobile data plan and as I get and 40mbps download speed on 4G so I hardly ever connect to wifi

Just changed my 2.4ghz channel and split my SSID so hopefully all our devices will pick up the correct ghz for each device and the change of channel for 2.4ghz will speed the connection up a bit

Just changed my 2.4ghz channel and split my SSID so hopefully all our devices will pick up the correct ghz for each device and the change of channel for 2.4ghz will speed the connection up a bit

I keep meaning to do that...but I can't be arsed!

I am with Vodafone, the router isn't a year old yet and it has been a lot nearer the quoted speed in the past. We do have a lot of devices connected to WiFi which won't help and I suspect with most people being at home at the moment, that doesn't help either.

Just ran another speed test and got 6mbps download speed so it does vary.

To be honest, I get 50gb a month with my mobile data plan and as I get and 40mbps download speed on 4G so I hardly ever connect to wifi

I was with Vodafone broadband when I lived in Norfolk, it was ****ing terrible!

That's more to do with being in Norfolk. Old copper cable out there I'd imagine.

Probably but they promised one speed and got nowhere near. Luckily they ****ed up when I was moving back to Essex so I managed to leave and go BT.

Made no difference whatsoever making the changes Vodafone recommended. I phoned them back today, they did a check back to the exchange and they think there may be a fault back there so have booked a BT engineer to check it out tomorrow. Fingers crossed it gets resolved

Made no difference whatsoever making the changes Vodafone recommended. I phoned them back today, they did a check back to the exchange and they think there may be a fault back there so have booked a BT engineer to check it out tomorrow. Fingers crossed it gets resolved
I hope it gets fixed mate, but beware with BT, if they find the fault within your house they may well try to charge you for the visit. Unlikely if Vodafone think it's at the exchange, then you should be all right. I had something similar a few years ago and they tried to stiff me for £100 call out, they failed!

I hope it gets fixed mate, but beware with BT, if they find the fault within your house they may well try to charge you for the visit. Unlikely if Vodafone think it's at the exchange, then you should be all right. I had something similar a few years ago and they tried to stiff me for £100 call out, they failed!

If they find the fault in my house, I'll keep it at 3mbps :Winking:

I reckon it's the exchange tho

Reactions: RHB
Back