• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Broadband/TV recommendations.

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
Ahoy.

I am moving house in a few weeks and will probably take the opportunity to ditch Sky.

Can anyone recommend a fast reliable Broadband service?

I am also thinking of going down the freesat route. Can anyone recommend a decent receiver that let's me record stuff?

Cheers.

Have been delighted with Plusnet, worth looking into.

Plusnet were OK - had a few problems with their contract. I ended up paying a lot more because we downloaded over our contract and had to top up for a £1 per gig.

But Talktalk are so far, 10/10 - unlimited, good speed, love Youview.

Freesat is a nightmare. I had it a few years back and it didn't quite work out. Technically it didnt tick all the boxes, and as soon as the warranty ran out, it had problems.

Agree that Talk Talk broadband and phone service is tops although their customer service helpline is shockingly bad!

Anyone got Smart TV? I'd be interested to know what you think of it.
(I understand Spain/France are going to lose their British TV channels on Astra from September) Potentially bad news for Sky or Freesat punters here.

Anyone got Smart TV? I'd be interested to know what you think of it.
(I understand Spain/France are going to lose their British TV channels on Astra from September).

Smart TV is fantastic. I use it for lovefilm/blinkbox, some fitness apps, spotify, watching trailers, youtube, etc etc.

I am also with Talk Talk and have no complaints. They have some great deals at the moment for YouView and FTTC broadband, certainly worth a look, but also agree with **** poor customer service.

Virgin Media is good as long as you're in a cable area.

And of course, iffy customer service

Last edited:
I've been with BT for everything for years now and I have to say I can't say I've ever found fault with either their customer service or products.

I've got unlimited infinity and average 55meg d/l speed and also Youview which I've found to be superb. I've also got Sky Go through the Xbox which is a bit iffy at times and hardly used. Bare in mind that as from August you'll get all the Prem footy and other sports with BT Infinity for gratis if you have their Infinity and TV package.

I've been with BT for everything for years now and I have to say I can't say I've ever found fault with either their customer service or products.

I've got unlimited infinity and average 55meg d/l speed and also Youview which I've found to be superb. I've also got Sky Go through the Xbox which is a bit iffy at times and hardly used. Bare in mind that as from August you'll get all the Prem footy and other sports with BT Infinity for gratis if you have their Infinity and TV package.

What's the damage?

It's difficult to say because I was overpaying BT for months without realizing so have had it readjusted. I have the top package unlimited infinity broadband, all BT Vision Movies & Box Office (through Youview), catch up TV and the music, Youview with ESPN and I pay £56.00 a month, although I believe it's nearer £70.00 without the credit I have.

As MK has said Youview is excellent and we find ourselves not watching anything that hasn't been recorded or on catch up. It's also full HD compliant out the box which my old Vision box wasn't.

Virgin Media is good if you can get it, 120mb line here and even with traffic shaping (ie if you download 10mb in one evening you go down to 50mb for 4 hours) its a good connection.

Shocked at Talktalk recommendations, have had nothing but nightmares when dealing with them in the past.

TalkTalk isn't the fastest, but it's fast enough for what I need. Never had a problem with them at all. The YouView thing is a very pleasant surprise, can't recommend it highly enough.

Virgin Media all the way for me. I have 60 MB BB, TV XL, no movies or sport though, unlimited calls anytime 0845/0870 inc & an extra box in both the kids rooms - £65

Services never seem to be down or flaky, but again customer service can be an experience. That said I discovered a few years back their community help forum's which must be manned by their staff. You post a problem on there & theres usually a resolution of some kind within the hour, saves a call to Mumbai..:smile:

I can recommend Now TV in HK. We have two main providers out here. I got sold a pup with the wrong one 15 months ago and HK has few consumer protection rights. However the wrong one now has Premier footie rights for next 3 seasons. Every game live. At 10pm on Sat or 11 in winter I have a choice of any game. Bored? Just flick a channel. Every game every day of the week.

GET IN THERE !!!!

TalkTalk isn't the fastest, but it's fast enough for what I need. Never had a problem with them at all. The YouView thing is a very pleasant surprise, can't recommend it highly enough.

Where I live Talktalk is the fastest I can get so ner. No problems at all either. And price is amazing for the bundle.

Back