• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Thorpe Groyney

Open your mind
An unbelievable 80 minutes at the Stoop this afternoon.

Broncos ahead after 5 minutes then fall to bits. Opponents Salford City Reds hammer in six tries before half time, albeit with only two converted, one of them comically way wide from in front of the posts. Half time, Broncos 6, City Reds 28.

A large group of moronic Salford supporters, who were demonstrating that Shameless was actually a documentary series, took it upon themselves to sit in amongst the Broncos supporters at the start of the second half, with a tirade of foul mouthed abuse and threats aimed at anyone they thought were a bit weak, with women and children copping it too.

They were left hugely embarrassed, though, as the Broncos refused to lie down and die for a change. A couple of early second half tries pulled it back to 16-28. Then, to the delight of the home fans and utter humiliation of the Shameless mob, Salford simply imploded under relentless Broncos pressure. Five tries in the last 13 minutes and the Broncos had somehow won 40-28. It was a record comeback since the inception of the Super League in 1996.

The Shameless mob's ire was turned on their own team, and it all got too much for one of them when confronted with a Broncos fan who laughed and said a la Partridge "the atmosphere has turned rather sour." A non stop volley of abuse and threats came his way. My son shrugged it off, again a la Partridge, still laughing, and all I did was suggest he come up to the press box if he wished to discuss it further.

He wandered away, angry, confused, bemused, and utterly humiliated. Just like his team.

A cracking day.

Must admit, I've rather drifted away from the Broncos this season. Partly due to now living a bit further away from The Stoop (a far cry from their days at Griffin Park, when I could walk there in 15 minutes) and partly due to them being utter stink.

Still following the results though and couldn't believe when this came through. What future do you see for the club though Groyney? Things are still looking pretty grim.

I would say, with crowds down to 1.500, that the Super League licence won't be renewed unless there's a massive turnaround next season. By that, it has to be a play-off berth.

Having said that, they've demolished Castleford 42-20 this afternoon. If they can keep Tony Rea for next season, there's always a chance.

I bet Warrington Wolves, despite the form they're in, won't be looking forward so much to coming down to the Stoop this Friday quite so much now.

I would say, with crowds down to 1.500, that the Super League licence won't be renewed unless there's a massive turnaround next season. By that, it has to be a play-off berth.

Having said that, they've demolished Castleford 42-20 this afternoon. If they can keep Tony Rea for next season, there's always a chance.

I bet Warrington Wolves, despite the form they're in, won't be looking forward so much to coming down to the Stoop this Friday quite so much now.

One assumes Wire will have an eye on the CC Final the following Saturday too. London got a good result against Leeds last year in similar circumstances.

Excellent result up at Cas today.

This is getting stupid now. Up against the Challenge Cup finalists, who needed the win to go top of the table, the Broncos narrowly humiliate Warrington Wolves by the somewhat improbable margin of 62-18.

I hope my lad and I get appearance fees after Sky Sports relayed our expressions to the watching dozens.

Bloody hell. I thought London might make a game of it, but that?

As an aside, I spent a really good few hours at Hemel Stags today, helping renovate the clubhouse ahead of their move in to Championship One next season. They've now got a 400 seater stand down one side of the pitch and lots of more general ground improvements on the way. Current Broncos Sarginson and Dixon came through the Hemel ranks and it's a cracking little club going the right way at the right pace.

And next Bank Holiday Monday, Medway v Halifax, followed by a wheelchair international, England v France. I think that could be one of those humbling occasions at sport where you think 'how the hell can they do that when I struggle to get out of bed?'

And to round things off, just your everyday 16 try, 90 point thriller, as the Broncos edged out Hull KR 48-42.

Kieran Dixon's try in the first half, from his own 25 metre line, you won't see anything better anywhere this year.

Tony Rea now installed as permanent coach.

From a season of catastrophe, it's now hope and optimism.

The official view of the day here:
http://www.phoenixfm.com/2012/09/09/broncos-stoop-to-conquer/

The unofficial take on it here:
http://groyney.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/2012-13-uncovered-saturday-8th.html

Great to see the likes of Dixon and Sarginson come through. As tweeted by Phil Caplan the other day:

'Caro break....Sarginson to Dixon for the try' - not such a wasted season'

Caro off to Hull KR, in comes Tommy Lee from Huddersfield, and staying at the Stoop for 2013.

Meanwhile, in the play-offs, I dread to think how players and supporters of the beautiful game would have reacted to the decisions the referee made in the play-offs tonight. The Catalan Dragons must have been distraught. Marginally the better side but on the wrong end of clear-cut decisions throughout the entire game that were clearly wrong, without any need for tv replays.

It directly cost them at least eight points, possibly 12. In the end they lost to Leeds Rhinos 27-20. A ref like that in the Football League play-offs might have been lynched! The only thing worse than the ref was the dreadful bias the Sky Sports continually showed in favour of the visitors.

A good game, made great by an awful ref, but spoilt by awful commentary. If I were Wigan Warriors, I'd choose Leeds straight off as semi-final opponent. Two painfully tough play-off games. Warriors are, by a tiny bit, better but will be a lot fitter. I suspect, though, that Wigan will choose the winners of tomorrow's play-off.

Back