• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Brown and the dressing room. What has he learnt?

Blues4LifeDan

Manager
Just looked up the squad that Phil Brown had when he lost his job after the Fleetwood game. Few names not in that squad not starting or dropped because he blamed them for the loss at Northampton, Kyps and Yearwood.

This was a dressing room that he lost. So looking at it, many questions come to mind.

Why did he lose it?
What kind of player turned against him and made others follow?
Has he learned anything?
What will he do differently, if anything?
Will that determine the kind of player he wants now?

So going forward, I'd like to think he has learnt a lot from the past, locking players in the changing room, signing players with a big ego or players that are past it, huge contracts and wages etc. I'd like to think he has learnt that past pedigree doesn't always echo success of players, so younger hungry players can massively help you. Names aren't everything.

Let's hope this time round, he and Ron, listen to others around them.

Utb.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210512-074402_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210512-074402_Chrome.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 144
I think what we need to remember this is more or less a totally different squad so there is no real reason to believe he will lose it this time, it’s not always the managers fault they lose a dressing room sometimes players get into a clique and are like a cancer on the whole squad (not to say that was the case last time but it happens)

See when I said he may have learnt things, I wasn't expecting him to talk to Cox straight away.

I'm not sure the whole ageing player on high wages thing was Phil or Ron, hopefully they have both learnt their lessons

I think what we need to remember this is more or less a totally different squad so there is no real reason to believe he will lose it this time, it’s not always the managers fault they lose a dressing room sometimes players get into a clique and are like a cancer on the whole squad (not to say that was the case last time but it happens)

Yes whilst that is true, it also doesn't mean that it wasn't his fault. He did some really desperate, ridiculous things towards the end of his tenure that can't be forgotten just because he is back now. He and his team signed those players and having the right character is something he has always rightly spoken about. That's why I'm hoping he had learnt from past mistakes.

Playing in the National League would suggest players with significantly less pedigree than the ones he signed in the past, therefore hopefully come with less ego. I think the players will respect him more because of his success in the past and the fact he is a big name in the game.

Yes whilst that is true, it also doesn't mean that it wasn't his fault. He did some really desperate, ridiculous things towards the end of his tenure that can't be forgotten just because he is back now. He and his team signed those players and having the right character is something he has always rightly spoken about. That's why I'm hoping he had learnt from past mistakes.

Playing in the National League would suggest players with significantly less pedigree than the ones he signed in the past, therefore hopefully come with less ego. I think the players will respect him more because of his success in the past and the fact he is a big name in the game.
Let’s say that is true and it happens again in 5 years time, that would mean we would be back in the football league possibly, don’t forget brown left us in a much better place than when he took over in terms of position in the 92, a division higher and just 1 point from the championship play offs.
Has there been any history of him loosing the dressing room at other clubs? (Genuine question as I don’t recall)

Let’s say that is true and it happens again in 5 years time, that would mean we would be back in the football league possibly, don’t forget brown left us in a much better place than when he took over in terms of position in the 92, a division higher and just 1 point from the championship play offs.
Has there been any history of him loosing the dressing room at other clubs? (Genuine question as I don’t recall)

One could argue he lost it at Hull. The ranting on the pitch at half time, that was then taken the mickey out of next time they scored could suggest a lack of respect for the manager.

To be fair, he hasn't managed that many clubs. 5 years with us and 4 with Hull being the longest stints. He got sacked from Swindon, couldn't comment on the dressing room.

Debatable. He left us having lost the dressing room and nosediving towards League 2. We ended the season 10th thanks to CP.

I'm not sure he's learned anything. Dumping players with no explanation, blaming others for the defeat to Col U and sniffing around players from the past.

Debatable. He left us having lost the dressing room and nosediving towards League 2. We ended the season 10th thanks to CP.

I'm not sure he's learned anything. Dumping players with no explanation, blaming others for the defeat to Col U and sniffing around players from the past.
Certainly is debatable but a pure fact is he left us a league above than where he started.

Just looked up the squad that Phil Brown had when he lost his job after the Fleetwood game. Few names not in that squad not starting or dropped because he blamed them for the loss at Northampton, Kyps and Yearwood.

This was a dressing room that he lost. So looking at it, many questions come to mind.

Why did he lose it?
What kind of player turned against him and made others follow?
Has he learned anything?
What will he do differently, if anything?
Will that determine the kind of player he wants now?

So going forward, I'd like to think he has learnt a lot from the past, locking players in the changing room, signing players with a big ego or players that are past it, huge contracts and wages etc. I'd like to think he has learnt that past pedigree doesn't always echo success of players, so younger hungry players can massively help you. Names aren't everything.

Let's hope this time round, he and Ron, listen to others around them.

Utb.

Excellent points.. well covered. There is a lot of very understandable optimism and goodwill being expressed about Mr Brown.....thats really great, but lets just keep our feet planted in the realities. He led us to good times, but he allowed all that to slip away and we got to the point where there were more bad results than good. I just want to see a stronger football focus, and less attention to his media image, along with the ability to keep the dressing room motivated and supportive.......not exactly what we had last time round ...was it ? Perhaps he has learnt from past experiences..... I do hope so anyway.

(ps....signing 2/3 big strong, fit lads who can actually scare defenders and score goals would be good too.....but I suppose we cant have everything !)

I am still quite surprised PB wants to manage in the NL but can't help sharing your feelings right now.

Time for new blood, new beginnings, looking forward only not back.

Back