• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can someone give me the Law's ultimate definition of 'in the stands'?

Am I wrong in thinking Brown can simply sit in the front row of the directors box which would put him precisely 1 foot away from the nearest of his colleagues on the bench? Or does it also prevent him going into the dressing room etc?

PB is passionate and wants to do well for my club and achieve something, that will do me. I'm sure he had radio contact after he was sent off with the bench. In all honesty, it looked like a penalty to me so he has a right to moan. Would people prefer a manager with no emotions?

Am I wrong in thinking Brown can simply sit in the front row of the directors box which would put him precisely 1 foot away from the nearest of his colleagues on the bench? Or does it also prevent him going into the dressing room etc?
I think you can have a "touchline" ban or a "stadium" ban. Both mean exactly what they say. I don't think a definition of stands comes into it.

There was something at Oxford a couple of years ago when Brown was sent to the stands and actually had to sit in the stands next to some abusive Oxford fans!

I guess if there's room in the Directors box then that will be ok. I'm guessing that at most grounds, especially the bigger ones, there is a little more distance between there and the dugout...

This never happened before they had Fourth Officials and technical areas. Brown and Parkinson were at it and each other straight from the kick off. They seemed to be trying to out do each other - really it was pathetic from both of them. It would not have surprised me if they had come to blows which I was fully expecting if Bolton had got a dodgy goal.

Brown was at it non stop -every challenge. I thought Brown was far worse than Parkinson yesterday - a lot more blatant. He had been warned at least twice and I guess really went for persistent misconduct. Parkinson was much more subtle -at half time he waited for the ref to come off the pitch so he could walk in with him bending his ear. Parkinson was shooing Brown off to the stand when the ref sent him off. At one point, Brown was for about 20 seconds hurling verbal abuse, at Bolton's captain who was just laughing at him.

I honestly can't see the point in it -has mouthing off to a fourth official ever changed anything? If video technology comes in it will only get worse. Maybe technical areas need to be further away from the half way line so that a manager is not right in a the fourth official's face.

If I recall correctly when Brown was appointed he said he had been doing some scouting at Bradford for Parkinson so he knew League 2 quite well. Parkinson of course appointed Brown as coach at Hull and then got the sack 6 weeks later. They seem to hate each others guts now - I think Phil is bit jealous of Parky getting the Bolton job. Parkinson always get the last laugh though.

A little more class and composure is needed Mr Brown and less whinging. You would have thought he would have learned his lesson from what happened at Bolton earlier in the season. Did it cost us a point -maybe?

Agree with all of that, I know he was doing it for the cause of SUFC but quite frankly I found it embarrassing. To my mind he was bullying the fourth official, and the ref took appropriate action.

There was something at Oxford a couple of years ago when Brown was sent to the stands and actually had to sit in the stands next to some abusive Oxford fans!

I guess if there's room in the Directors box then that will be ok. I'm guessing that at most grounds, especially the bigger ones, there is a little more distance between there and the dugout...

Yes, thanks. I guess that's my point. If he's sent from the touchline which results in him sitting 1 foot from the bench then, impressionable kids aside (and I don't disregard that point), it doesn't massively hurt us.

Parkinson does seem to be the one getting the last laugh each time though.

There is nothing in Law about "in the stands" because the Law covers all football from the Borough Combination to the World Cup. Clearly you can't send a manager at Victory Sports into the stands.....

Basically, you are removed from pitch side. At Football League level that means if you want to see anymore of the game, you have to do so from the stands. Anywhere in the stand.

As for PB.... he is the most passionate football person I've ever met (and I've met a few) and it gets the better of him. But he really needs to learn. He's probably ended up in the stands more than any other manager currently in the game.

Serious question.

Is there an official distance from the touchline?

For example, what would stop the club allocating the seat in Row A, next to the dugout, for PB at the next match.

Just a random thought.

Serious question.

For example, what would stop the club allocating the seat in Row A, next to the dugout, for PB at the next match.

Just a random thought.

Good point. and if that's the case, why doesn't every club just own a "Row A" seat number.... that is closest to the dug out?

In the case of this... If a manager didn't get sent off, he could give it away to someone else, but if a manager did get sent to the stands, i'm sure the "friends or family" that got a free ticket, would be more than happy to move to elsewhere in the stand or become a guest in a corporate box, in order to accommodate the club manager for the remainder of the game.

The only thing I could guess is, that there is some sort of silly 30 metre rule from the pitch touchline ban. Hence Phil sitting in the back of the stands at Oxford.

This could be the case, as I have a few vague memories, of other managers being sent away to the stands, but still "barking their orders" down to the assistant manager on the touchline via telephone... Perhaps Alex Ferguson? to name but a few.

Perfect.

It could have one of those signs like you get on the London Underground seats for elderly passengers .. "Please give up this seat, if a dismissed manager requires it"

Good point. and if that's the case, why doesn't every club just own a "Row A" seat number.... that is closest to the dug out. in the case of this. If a manager didn't get sent off, he could give it away to someone else, but if a manager did get sent to the stands, i'm sure the "friends or family" would happily move to elsewhere in the stand or become a guest in a corporate box to accommodate the manager for the remainder of the game.

The only thing I could guess is, that there is some sort of silly 30 metre rule from the pitch touchline ban. Hence Phil sitting in the back of the stands. This could be the case, as I have a few vague memories, of other managers being sent away to the stands, but still "barking their orders" down to the assistant manager on the touchline via telephone.

what about a remote control camera and tannoy stationed in the technical area that PB can control from the stand!?

Serious question.

Just a random thought.

Is it not the point to remove the manager from the touchline so they can't give the ref/linesman/4th official abuse? Even in Row A, directions via the assistant are still a pain and it's not as convenient, but they can't pressurise the 4th official at all (this is only relevant in the pro game of course).

what about a remote control camera and tannoy stationed in the technical area that PB can control from the stand!?

LOL!.

A remote control camera??? And A tannoy system!?!??...

Have you heard the Roots Hall Tannoy lately.. A couple of 10 year old's recently used some old baked bean can's connected with a simple piece of string, and found it a lot more effective! :smile:

Although top be fair, Phil is actually a trained electrician, so he could probably wire something up?!?... Failing that, i'm sure Shrimperzone could donate an Abacus or something to make the team formations work (as far as i'm aware you cant but a diamond formation on an abacus? :smile:

Barry Corr scored a late winner 3-2 when we were down to 10 men. PB spun round and signalled zip it to the gobby idiot who had abused him all game from the seat right next to the Southend bench.

The fourth official called the ref over and PB was sent to the stand. Seemed real harsh as PB had not said a word and their stewards had turned a blind eye all game.

So we now had the ridiculous scenario of PB now having to sit with the same group of fans as there is no way up to the second tier at Oxfords stadium. Just by chance Terry Alderton had a box on the half way line and leant out and pulled PB in through the window.

When Dave Penny was sent-off at Luton he realised there's no seats just boxes on that far side. So he had to do the walk of shame round the touchline and down the tunnel. He did appear in the directors area and took plenty of abuse from the home fans.

Last time PB was on a ban, for home games he sat at the back of the stand but had a link to Coughlan. Away games are more difficult. Not sure on the exact rules because he can't be seen to shout down instructions, which everyone could hear anyway but can via an ear piece.

P.s After Dave Penny's walk of shame I did think that rule should be introduced to the players. One complete lap of the ground after a red card.

I for one am happy we have a manager who is passionate about my club,just perhaps this wouldnt happen if we had decent officials and not muppets for referees and linesmen.The F.A love to play around with rules and such about time they looked into upgrading the referees and linesmen.

Not sure if it''s been posted elsewhere on another thread, but CP says Phil will not receive any further punishment for being sent to the stands.

Back