• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

spoons

Manager
I doubted Browns ability on arrival and admit to being impressed so far. A word of caution though, we have still to get promoted and will need all the current first team and more.
Great to see Barnard back but not so good if Hurst or others are let go in the current transfer window.
Clearly extra funds from the Hull sell out has helped the transfer embargo to be lifted but good offers for our key players will probably lead to them leaving.
However, those thoughts can be put aside today with the prospect of knocking Hull out of the FA Cup and marching towards Wembley again:smiles:

I wasn't happy when El Tango was appointed, and even less so after his first few games in charge last season. But he has completely won me round, been impressed with how he has the team playing this season, and the way he's gone about his business. So much so that I now call him El Tango as a term of endearment rather than a ****take.

I think a majority including me would share your views. It is amazing to think that there was so much outcry when PS left and PB came in. Just a shame that it's not this PB side that played at Wembley. Could have been so different.

Question - Do you think we would have been in this shape and position if PS were still at the helm? Brown has given us something extra this season.

Since Phil brown and penney put there stamp on the team we are playing better football .Moving the ball across the grass rather than hoof it from back to front . Also cast your minds back a few years it was Tilly and Brush working together .The same seems to be working again .Thats where i beleve Paul sturrock suffered he was having to do it all alone .I also rember when PS took over the Tilly fan club said oh no we dont want him all his sides just play hoof ball .And he won the fans over to .

Same here too, it's a shame we didn't have this side at Wembley last year otherwise we would beaten Crewe!

I was always happy with Brown, more so the fact Sturrock was going rather than Brown coming in I must admit. Even if we don't get promoted Brown has been a success IMO as I actually enjoy watching the team again under his leadership. Sturrock was a good, likeable man and he steadied the ship but I really didn't rate him.

Can't say I know anyone who was pleased when PB took over. Reputation as a big time Charlie preceded him.
How wrong we were ! The passing/full blooded commitment his team shows during games makes watching at the Hall a pleasure again. He is approachable and has improved facilities at the training ground.
I for one am happy with his media work as it doesn't seem to interfere with his job and it gives Southend good PR.(bit like in the old days with Saints and Greavsie)
Even three sided Ron is getting less flak these days, wonders will never cease (until the Fossets Farm starts anyway):happy:

Yep, I hold my hands up, I was wrong about Brown and currently enjoying my humble pie.

I don't think we need assume or fear that Hurst or others could leave in this transfer window. Clearly being part of a winning team going places will be enough not to see anyone leave - barring a huge offer from a Championship club or above, which ain't gonna happen.

As for Brown, I always liked his appointment and he's working wonders. I think Sturrock had taken us as far as he was able.

Brown and Penney are doing a fantastic job for us,getting good results playing attractive football.

As with any new arrival at the club whether its a player or manager you can only really judge after a certain period of time. I said at the time of appointment. ......give him a pre season and some signings and see where we at by xmas. Keep up the good work Mr Brown et al.

Can't say I know anyone who was pleased when PB took over. Reputation as a big time Charlie preceded him.
How wrong we were ! The passing/full blooded commitment his team shows during games makes watching at the Hall a pleasure again. He is approachable and has improved facilities at the training ground.
I for one am happy with his media work as it doesn't seem to interfere with his job and it gives Southend good PR.(bit like in the old days with Saints and Greavsie)
Even three sided Ron is getting less flak these days, wonders will never cease (until the Fossets Farm starts anyway):happy:

As we're all happy happy happy on here this week, a big up to Ron Martin for getting Phil Brown in, and also he would have had a hand in the Lee Barnard transfer. Credit where it's due. Even from me.

Happy to say I called this one right. I always felt it was Sturrocks time to go (although maybe the timing wasn't great) but grateful for the job he did. I remember coming on here when Brown was appointed and the Sturrock love in started. Wait until Brown gets a chance to work with his squad and his new signings and judge him around Christmas were my thoughts. Straight from the off though I've been impressed with our style of play and probably more importantly the squads fitness. They just don't stop running. Only had a few games this season when we've played poorly or been outplayed but that will always happen in a 46 game season. Thank you Sturrock for saving us from a right mess and now thank you to Brown for taking us to that next level and making me fall in love with SUFC all over again.

C'mon Southend

I was always in favour of Phil Brown taking over and I'm sure if you search back at all the negative threads you will find posts by myself stating how I'm happy with the appointment. I've always liked him as a manager and was really surprised it didn't work out at Preston and how no one else snapped him up before us.

Sturrock took us as far as he good, he was brought in with a plan to get us to the championship and he failed twice to get us promoted and the final season didn't look like we would go up as well. Although he did get us to Wembley and I also thank him for that but it was the right time to move on and Phil Brown is the right man!

Any Manager that took over from Paul Sturrock was up against it as far as I was concerned. To find out that Phil Brown was his replacement made me feel even more antagonistic.......how wrong could I have been. Whatever happens during the remainder of this season Phil Brown has done a brilliant job in all aspects.

Coughlan

I was always in favour of Phil Brown taking over and I'm sure if you search back at all the negative threads you will find posts by myself stating how I'm happy with the appointment. I've always liked him as a manager and was really surprised it didn't work out at Preston and how no one else snapped him up before us.

Sturrock took us as far as he good, he was brought in with a plan to get us to the championship and he failed twice to get us promoted and the final season didn't look like we would go up as well. Although he did get us to Wembley and I also thank him for that but it was the right time to move on and Phil Brown is the right man!

Noticed in thread there is no mention of Graham Coughlan , I think he has also made a huge contribution to the way the team have been playing and has provided a great link between the Sturrock era and Phil Browns.

Back