• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown: I don't regret sticking with the same line-up for the Lions

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown insisted he did not regret failing to freshen his side up for yesterday’s clash with Millwall – despite the Shrimpers suffering their heaviest home defeat in nine years.

More...

Interesting that the Echo was banned from speaking to any of the players after yesterday's match. Anyone know if there is bad blood there at the moment? ............And we always seem to get an 'everyone using it' phrase after a poor performance, and this time round 'just a bad day at the office' wins the most used award, even Phil has picked up on it!

Apart from that it seems that PB is unrepentant about not freshening the side up, and when we kicked off I probably agreed with him. About 15 minutes in I think I was regretting it, even if he wasn't.

If Phil had changed the team and we lost 4 0 then everyone would be saying "why did he change a winning team".

Damned if he did and damned if he didn't .

If Phil had changed the team and we lost 4 0 then everyone would be saying "why did he change a winning team".

Damned if he did and damned if he didn't .

You may well be right mrsb, but he didn't change the starting line-up and we did get dicked 4-0. I am, however, genuinely impressed that you are consistently supportive of PB these days.

As soon as saw the unchanged line up before the game I feared the worst. back in the day I used to pour scorn on players/coaches who blamed defeat on tiredness, but no longer (in fact my betting profits have improved since omitting teams that had played away in Europe, recently experienced a packed schedule etc). We shone against Bury because the players were chomping at the bit after one game in 20 days, but then another game comes along and suddenly the relative recovery time is reduced by two thirds, and then by even more before yesterday's game. Us ignorant supporters noticed that Coker and Hunt were struggling/not 100% fit at the Farmers yet both were hauled out yesterday, and shine they did not....

You may well be right mrsb, but he didn't change the starting line-up and we did get dicked 4-0. I am, however, genuinely impressed that you are consistently supportive of PB these days.

Its amazing the effect a visit from three Christmas ghosts can have.

Phil has in recent times tried an attacking formation which I applaud and has been fruitful,Saturday hopefully was a one off.

When certain fans ask for 5 strung across the middle at home,then you realise how fickle they can be.

Harris meanwhile ; " "We made four changes from Boxing Day and I thought it was important we freshened up.
Southend stayed the same but it's harder to change a winning side.
However, as soon as I saw their line-up I stressed to the players how important it was we started well."

When I saw an unchanged line-up it reminded me of the ominous feeling I had when an unchanged line-up was announced for our game at Chesterfield in October. And that went well, didn't it?

Phil needs to take a look at himself. And then he should take a look at Mauricio Pochettino who chose to make some changes to a winning team ahead of a difficult trip to Watford yesterday. And nobody give me all the 'intensity of the Premier League' bullcrap, thanks. Our players ran themselves into the ground at Col Ewe and at least a couple of them looked like they needed a rest from my seat there.

To honest i dont mind PB going with the same side as Saturday, we can all be wiser after the event that it didnt work. But to say he doesnt regret it, is a bit putting his head in the sand, he should regret it, it was clearly wrong.

To honest i dont mind PB going with the same side as Saturday, we can all be wiser after the event that it didnt work. But to say he doesnt regret it, is a bit putting his head in the sand, he should regret it, it was clearly wrong.

To be fair I think he meant that he didn't regret picking the same starting line-up. The fact that he had all three subs on before the second half was very old suggests he felt changes were needed sooner rather than later.

What worries me is that he didn't learn anything from the JPT game. Deegan should have played yesterday without a doubt.

Back