• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown: I'll continue to pick our best 11 until we can't make the play-offs

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown will continue to select his strongest starting line-up until it becomes impossible for the Shrimpers to make the play-offs.

More...

I'm pleased that Phil knows what his best eleven is. I expect to see them giving it large on Wednesday and maintaining the dream of the play-offs for at least another week.

“But if you’ve been good enough in your last game you’ll play and until it’s mathematically impossible for us to reach the play-offs I’ll be picking what I think my best 11 is.”

Who are they then, don't think we have played many games with the same starting 11 even when we have won!

Can't agree with this, there have been many occasions this season where players have played well - only to be dropped for the following game.

SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown will continue to select his strongest starting line-up until it becomes impossible for the Shrimpers to make the play-offs.

More...

When I first arrived here three years ago I had a decision to make between Dan Bentley and Paul Smith.

I went for Dan and the rest is history

Some definite rewriting of history going on here!

The first thing he did when he got here was drop Bentley, Eastwood and Laird to the bench (for Paul Smith and the returning from injury duo of Luke Prosser and Gavin Tomlin) from Sturrock's last team. We went 2-0 up in 10 minutes on Bradford but despite his half team talk Bradford scored twice to draw and from being behind us in the table went onto win promotion that season.

Smith remained the keeper for PB's first four matches in charge (including the Wembley final that Dan Bentley's penalty saves had helped us reach) although he was briefly dropped after we conceded 4 at Rochdale and Bentley got given three matches but it was Smith who was number one again at the end of the season.

Smith however got injured pre-season so Dan Bentley took the number one jersey through default and never let it go.

Personally, I'd be looking to play the long term game. Not just now, but all season. The question should be what would put this club in a stronger position in two, three seasons' time, not what short term measure will get the best result to make me look good today. But I suppose the difference is that I'm a lifelong supporter who'll be here long after he's gone.

Lose tomorrow and the play offs is a no go I suspect. Far too inconsistent since the turn of the year. Still a good season though

Some definite rewriting of history going on here!

The first thing he did when he got here was drop Bentley, Eastwood and Laird to the bench (for Paul Smith and the returning from injury duo of Luke Prosser and Gavin Tomlin) from Sturrock's last team.

All that media work suggests that you don't let the facts get in the way of a good story!

Phil talks a good game yet sadly delivers one,PO is a distant dream which being fair the last 16 games we royally messed it up.

Phil talks a good game yet sadly delivers one,PO is a distant dream which being fair the last 16 games we royally messed it up.[/QUOTE]

You said we would get relegated so you must be delighted that PB has done much better than you ever thought.

Phil talks a good game yet sadly delivers one,PO is a distant dream which being fair the last 16 games we royally messed it up.[/QUOTE]

You said we would get relegated so you must be delighted that PB has done much better than you ever thought.

Stop lying !

I predicted we would finish 17th with 57 points,well pleased I was wrong!

Now Riggers remove your tongue from Phil's rear.

The biggest shock on shrimperzone ever would be if mrsblue got something right.....several years on and still 100% wrong.

Even by chance you'd think he would of got something right by now but I feel it's a distant dream.

As manager PB should pick what he believes is his best 11 for each game ,ta
hat said different tactics ,different game plan for different teams ,sometimes means certain players even though they playe well the previous week ,may still get dropped.He is the manager and will live and die by his decisions and we as supporters should understand that and support him.When it becomes mathematically impossible to make the playoffs ,yes i would then like him to give a few off the young fellows like Bridge ,and Smith a run or two to see if they are ready and to give them some experience.

Bump...any comments?
Yep, just what the hell is our best 11 ? Is O'Neill injured ? not even on the bench tonight. Same team for Blackpool ? Is that our best 11 ? I think not personally and too many times when they "keep the shirt" the next game ends in defeat. I think he has to start utilising the squad more to outsmart the opposition rather than sticking with a winning team, keep the buggers on their toes, too many times individuals have let us down after one good performance. To some extent PB has made his own job more difficult by building such a strong squad, too many choices to be made sometimes.

Bump...any comments?

Yes, I'd have liked to have seen one or two of Jack Bridge, Dan Matsuzaka, Jordan Williams, Nico Cotton etc so the club could see if they could be part of our plans for next season. I was proud of Bentley and Payne but Sheffield Utd had something like 4 youth team products in their starting line-up and a further 4 on the bench. I feel Sheffield United will be better placed next season as a result of giving them this exposure.

Yes, I'd have liked to have seen one or two of Jack Bridge, Dan Matsuzaka, Jordan Williams, Nico Cotton etc so the club could see if they could be part of our plans for next season. I was proud of Bentley and Payne but Sheffield Utd had something like 4 youth team products in their starting line-up and a further 4 on the bench. I feel Sheffield United will be better placed next season as a result of giving them this exposure.
They have had 8 managers in 8 years, joke of a club, Adkins will be gone by the start of next season and who's to say the new manager will have the same policy ?

Back