• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

As much as I like the thought of Kightly, we could potentially have a squad with Ferdinand, ranger, wordsworth, McLaughlin, cox and timlin who have all been fairly injury prone. Kightly has had problems as well in his career. We could do with someone who has a history of 40 games a season to give some consistency.

Does he (Kightly) actually have any loyalty to us though ? If I rember right we told him he was **** , released him and kept James Lawson ... :unsure:

As much as I like the thought of Kightly, we could potentially have a squad with Ferdinand, ranger, wordsworth, McLaughlin, cox and timlin who have all been fairly injury prone. Kightly has had problems as well in his career. We could do with someone who has a history of 40 games a season to give some consistency.

We do.

Lenny.

Which is why it can take a long time to sign players

Exactly this.

The best players are, more often than not, the ones who move towards the end of the transfer window.

Hence why we are right to not "get in early" with our signings.

Does he (Kightly) actually have any loyalty to us though ? If I rember right we told him he was **** , released him and kept James Lawson ... :unsure:

I thought the reason we let Kightly go because he was a late developer. I saw him after the Scarborough home cup match and his football bag was nearly as big as him. I read later on that Harry Redknap, while at Spurs, was going to let Michael Carrick leave as there were concerns about his size and stature. Spurs had the resources to persevere with him and he turned into a late developer the same as Kightly has grown.

Not at Spurs mate, Harry Redknapp was at West Ham that time when Carrick was a teenager coming through the youth teams.

I thought the reason we let Kightly go because he was a late developer. I saw him after the Scarborough home cup match and his football bag was nearly as big as him. I read later on that Harry Redknap, while at Spurs, was going to let Michael Carrick leave as there were concerns about his size and stature. Spurs had the resources to persevere with him and he turned into a late developer the same as Kightly has grown.

I was told he wasn't to keen on some things, like turning up for training etc.

I can see this happening, & overall he should be a good coup for us, but i'm personally undecided if I want it to.... (depending on wages) ....Also if that does happen, how many outfield players will we have around the age of 30 towards the run in of next season?

Genuine question, not a cheap shot about Kightly...

I'm just trying to way up the pro's & con's of an older squad with experience on their side V mid 20's guys with legs in their prime. I guess it all depends on their position. Barrett did a decent job for us well into he's mid 30's, but buying a pacey winger at the same age is not the same thing.

I really dont get this age thing, training methods are so different to what they was many years ago,even physios etc have different methods ,players can now play well into there 30s and be competitive with the younger generation.Also having 2 people for each position gives the manager a chance to rest players occassionally.What a 30 year old brings to the club is experience something the younger players havent got and what they can help them with.I for one hope we can bring him back to the club.People moaned when we signed Fortune and Ferdinand but what a great job both did for the club last season.

Amen to that Buffalowolf.

I was going to say something similar, but thought I shouldn't rabble on for ever. MAF was going to be my perfect example of age over matter, IMO as an "impact sub". imo, he did a better job than Ranger did in that same role.

Its simple in a way- we may have chance of persuading Kightly to come back at the age of 30 if the contract can be right. He has played regularly in Prem, Championship last year and is clearly capable of playing at that level.
IMO there is not the option of getting a 25 year old player of the same quality and pedigree to come any more than there would be a 25 year old Ferdinand- player that age will stay in the Championship as they have their playing in front of them.
So the option in reality is between a Kightly and someone younger but with promise rather than proven ability (assuming even that younger player can be found as there are plenty looking).
It is clear PB/RM are focused on promotion next season not focused on promotion 3-4 years down the line. Might not happen but at least there is ambition.

Back